Make your own OHM meter for FREE. (well almost)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's how I made my FREE ohm meter.

I used an ohm meter I got from Harbor Freight with a coupon for Free (including battery).

First, I pulled the connector off of an old ego battery I had laying around and removed the guts from the inside.
Remove the center pin from the rubber grommet, Then solder a new wire to the center pin. Thread the new wire through the
grommet and push the pin back in.
Next, solder (or twist) another wire to the outside shell.

Now drill a 12mm hole in the top side of the case. Slide the connector in and epoxy it into place(first pic).
(even better if you have a thin nut to fit the ego threading)

After everything is set, connect the wires as shown in the pics and put the case back together.
The center pin wire is the Positive +. Connect that to the fuse.
The other is the ground. Connect that to the grounding bar.

CIMG5362.jpg CIMG5365.jpg CIMG5368.jpg CIMG5369.jpg CIMG5371.jpg

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Last edited:
Now THAT'S how ya do it!!!! awesome!

You can even get 510 connectors from madvapes too

I so want to do what with my multimeter...

P.S. they are only $3.99 anyway ;)
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-98025.html

Also with these adapters you can check the output voltage of your 510 devices
$1.74 Volt Meter Adapter for E-Cigarette - 510 connector at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Would you recommend using JB weld or some other two part epoxy to hold in your ego head?

Thanks,
I think any 2 part epoxy should work fine.
I used 15 minute epoxy I got from home depot on mine and it works great. :toast:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
why not just use the multimeter?

Why would someone make a VV Mod out of a Ultrafire Flashlight when they could just use an eGo?

For the Cool Factor.

It's all about the Cool Factor. And Sizzorfite's Multi-Multi-Meter rates High on the Cool Factor Scale.

you should have invested in some alligator clips for your multimeter. The reading is off probably because the tips of your probes are dirty, you can try it by pressing them on the metal harder. Wouldnt have that problem with alligator clips though which are also faster than screwing it in there.

The probes are brand new. The wires on them are just too long for a proper low ohm reading.

duckie_44

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
DFW-TX
Sizz.....I ran across your thread this afternoon, while I was looking for something else, good job bye the way.

This got me to thinking.....Great minds think alike (not me), the Rocketman.....Here's his thread from 2011
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/213180-rockets-carto-meter.html Sad to say, all the pictures have gone to that great recycle bin in the sky.....But as luck would have it, I did save some of them, for my"Things I might do later" file.

zula1y.jpg

The picture in the bottom right, we will get to later.......You will note that the board in the older HF MM is some what different than todays MM......Also that it is wired to read voltage too.....Here is where I hope you don't minded me high-jacking your thread a little bit....

29dbvyr.jpg

This is where we get to picture in the bottom right, first picture.....That is a tester I made a year are so ago......I think with a old half of a carto wired like I did in to your picture, you could read ohm's, voltage, and voltage under load....

I do hope you don't mined me doing this........

duckie.......

Sizz.....I ran across your thread this afternoon, while I was looking for something else, good job bye the way.

This got me to thinking.....Great minds think alike (not me), the Rocketman.....Here's his thread from 2011
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/213180-rockets-carto-meter.html Sad to say, all the pictures have gone to that great recycle bin in the sky.....But as luck would have it, I did save some of them, for my"Things I might do later" file.

zula1y.jpg

The picture in the bottom right, we will get to later.......You will note that the board in the older HF MM is some what different than todays MM......Also that it is wired to read voltage too.....Here is where I hope you don't minded me high-jacking your thread a little bit....

29dbvyr.jpg

This is where we get to picture in the bottom right, first picture.....That is a tester I made a year are so ago......I think with a old half of a carto wired like I did in to your picture, you could read ohm's, voltage, and voltage under load....

I do hope you don't mined me doing this........

duckie.......

That's pretty cool... :toast:

propofokgov

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
www.about.me
Now this is one heck of an easy mod! I just might have to try this out myself with one of my extra meters (I think I have about 3).

In the meantime, I actually purchased a DIY Ohm meter kit from MadVapes that I plan on putting together inside an old Carto Tank. I figure my Magneto is already a battery and a switch and a connector, all I need is the Ohm module. and another connector and I'll have an even smaller Ohm meter than the little black boxes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread