Man Down!! MVP3 with Nautilus problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
I'm only on day nine with my new MVP3 and Nautilus tank (started out with the 1.6 BVC) and I'm down here... Yesterday as I was vaping my MVP shut down and wouldn't turn back on. I had just full charged it but tossed it on the charger anyway and it came back on. Took a couple of vapes and BAM, down again... Put it on the charger again and it came on again but this time the display was flashing two dashes in the ohms section.

So, I switched out to the other head that came with it, had a few vapes and WAMO, down again. Plugged it in, came back up, couple of vapes and down again and again this other head now flashes the two dashes in the ohms section. Now here's the weird thing... When I popped the second head on it read 2.3 ohms. I didn't think anything of it at the time, being new and all, but when I just went to confirm which head I used first and second I read the stamp on the second and it says it's only a 1.8 ohm head.... Another strange thing is that as I was vaping on this second head I changed the watts to improve the vape after a couple vapes and I noticed it read 2.5 ohms, then after a few more vapes it went down with the flashing dashes.

When I took out the second head I notice there is juice in the very bottom of the bottom hardware, where the head is screwed into. I'm assuming this means it was flooded, but being a rookie I could be wrong. At any rate.... I'm not happy vaper right now :( In hind sight I realize I should have bought some extra heads, but again... Rookies make rookie mistakes right :blink: In my defense though, the guy at the shop said I should have been good for a month with what I had bought so I thought I'd be good. I uploaded a quick video to show the MVP3 display and the bottom hardware in case it was needed. You can see it here:

So now the questions... What would cause two new heads to die like that, or are they dead? Would it be a head problem or a problem with the MVP3? Am I correct regarding the fluid in the bottom hardware being a result of flooding, and if so what would have caused the flooding and could this have been the cause of the dead heads? And finally... What type of wire can I use to rebuild the heads? I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos on rebuilding over the past month or so and hear about nichrome, kanthal, and caplan... Does it need to be a specific type of wire or can I use some wire that I have here that I used for other purposes? Maybe an old guitar string? o_O LOL

I'm desperate here.... I need my vape!!! I don't have the cash to buy new heads until around the 18th of the month and there's a carton of stinkys in the fridge and I do NOT want to resort to them if I start going bonkers :cry: Any assistance at all is greatly appreciated.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I would repost in The General Vaping Discussion--forum in this ECF -- as this is kind of an out of the way subforum---I had trouble

finding your post after I'd

read it and decided to come back---- you would get

more people to see your post and maybe help with your problem.

I would try to dry out the bottom of your nautilus with napkin and blowing thru it.

Next I would try and dry out the 510 connection on the mvp 3---where your natilus screws into your mvp.

Some people have reported that juice can leak down into the battery past the 510 conection on different devices and get

the electronics wet. This is not to say that the MVP is like this but you can't always tell

I have never had this happen yet in a year and a half but there is always a first time for everything .

Good luck with your problem.

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Trucker. I posted here as I didn't want to post in the wrong forum and this seemed like the appropriate one... I'll repost in the General Vaping.
Yeah, it's weird... I searched all over to see if anyone else has has this problem but couldn't find anyone else with it any where. I'll also give the drying tips you gave a shot as well.

Reactions: thetrucker

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Yes you would've been good for a month............ if everything worked perfectly fine.

Chances are you're getting a 510 connection problem I think;

I don't know if the nautilus has it's own centerpin of if it uses the centerpin of the coil head, but if it has it's own centerpin, you can try screwing on the nautilus onto the mod without the coil-and-tank installed and trying firing the mvp.

overtightening on the 510 threads can cause centerpin problems.
and when your vape isn't working, new users tend to suck harder, which floods the coil.

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Yeah @edyle got responses in the general vape section on my post saying the same thing, a 510 connection problem. In the process of boiling everything to clean tit now and then will do the drying.
The Nautilus does indeed have it's own center pin. Will try the firing without the head once everything is dry.

Funny you mention over tightening... I was wondering if I might have done that when I changed the heads... If that turns out to be the case do you know if it can be repaired and if so how I would do it?

WilsonPhillips

Feb 26, 2015
Yeah @edyleIn the process of boiling everything to clean tit now and then will do the drying.
Why would you need to boil everything? A quick rinse of the tank and base with hot water when switching coils should be all that is needed. Other than that, the only real cleaning required is washing the lip crud off the drip tip a couple of times a day.

It certainly sounds like you got some juice down inside the 510 connector and shorted out the mod. I am wondering what caused the flooding of the 510 connector. I had this occur when testing the wicking on an RTA, but this was a nautilus. It really shouldn't leak. I would suspect that the coil head may not have been tight in the base, or the o-ring at the bottom of the coil head was damaged or missing.

You may find someone who is good with electronics that can take the mod apart and get the juice out of it and it might possibly work again, but the cost of the labor could be more than the price of the mod itself.

Reactions: Shipwreck

Shipwreck

Jun 4, 2015
Ontario, Canada
you may wish to check this video, maybe it will help.

Hey vilgobil, thanks a million for the vid. It turned out, thankfully, not to be the MVP3 but I bookmarked the video for future reference. I actually kind of like the larger O ring he used. Gives more insulation and will last a lot longer than the original. I posted a link below to what my issue actually was and how I fixed it.

Why would you need to boil everything? A quick rinse of the tank and base with hot water when switching coils should be all that is needed. Other than that, the only real cleaning required is washing the lip crud off the drip tip a couple of times a day.

It certainly sounds like you got some juice down inside the 510 connector and shorted out the mod. I am wondering what caused the flooding of the 510 connector. I had this occur when testing the wicking on an RTA, but this was a nautilus. It really shouldn't leak. I would suspect that the coil head may not have been tight in the base, or the o-ring at the bottom of the coil head was damaged or missing.

You may find someone who is good with electronics that can take the mod apart and get the juice out of it and it might possibly work again, but the cost of the labor could be more than the price of the mod itself.

Hey Wilson. Because of the flooding I wanted to make sure everything was thoroughly cleaned so I was sure there was no gunk to interfere with trying to solve the problem. I had looked a lot of posts and videos regarding cleaning and saw that many people use boiling and soaking in vodka/alcohol or vinegar to get a good clean. So I first soaked everything in vinegar and then boiled.

As I mentioned above, the mod was fine, thankfully. The link to what it was and how I fixed it is below. Regarding the flooding... That was probably my fault for either over tightening or not tightening enough, lesson learned.

I gotta say though, I never would have been able to fix this without all the awesome help from everyone here. Not only did I get help fixing the actual issue, but I also got tons of reference material for other issues that may come up in the future. This place is awesome with a lot of amazing helpful people. I love it!!

I have graduated.... In two ways!! | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread