Minnesota bills would increase tax on e-cigarettes and smokeless from 70% to 95% wholesale! (HF 91 / HF 509 / SF 144 / SF 209)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
http://blog.casaa.org/2013/03/call-to-action-minnesota-bill-to-impose.html

Minnesota: 95% Wholesale Tax on E-Cigarettes, Smokeless tobacco, and Dissolvable tobacco Products (HF 91 / HF 509 / SF 144 / SF 209)

In 2010, while e-cigarette advocates were busy fighting proposed bans on the sale of e-cigarettes, the Minnesota State Legislature quietly amended their tobacco tax statutes. The definition of "tobacco product" was changed so as to encompass any nicotine-containing product that is derived from tobacco. As of August of 2010, there has been a tax of 70% applied to the wholesale price of e-cigarettes with nicotine, as well as smokeless tobacco and dissolvable tobacco.

Minnesota is the only state in the United States to tax e-cigarette sales [for more details on the 2010 bill, see this ECF post].

HF 91, HF 509, SF 144, and SF 209 are all currently awaiting hearings before the House Committee on Taxes (HF 91), the House Committee on Health and Human Services Finance (HF 509), and the Senate Committee on Taxes (SF 144 and 209). If you are from the Minnesota area and think you could attend and testify at a legislative hearing on this subject, please e-mail us at board@casaa.org. In the meantime, the collective action of all vapers is needed to stop these tax increases.

House Bill 91 (HF 91): [full text] [legislative tracking]
House Bill 91 (HF 509): [full text] [legislative tracking]
Senate Bill 144 (SF 144): [full text] [legislative tracking]
Senate Bill (SF 209): [full text] [legislative tracking]

If enacted, any of these 4 bills would:

Increase the tax on "tobacco products" like e-cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, and dissolvable tobacco to 95% wholesale price.* That represents a 36% increase from the already excessive 70% wholesale tax imposed under the 2010 bill.

* This Call to Action previously indicated that the proposed tax was 110%. It's actually 95%.

Last edited:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Dayton hears about smoking border battle
Dayton hears about smoking border battle | The Republican Eagle | Red Wing, Minnesota

Minnesota vapers and vendors should contact their state legislators urging opposition to Dayton's budget proposal to increase e-cigarette tax rates from 70% to 95% of wholesale price, which is not only absurd, but will also encourage even more MN vapers to buy online from out of state vendors.

cabingal

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
Minnesota
Dayton hears about smoking border battle
Dayton hears about smoking border battle | The Republican Eagle | Red Wing, Minnesota

Minnesota vapers and vendors should contact their state legislators urging opposition to Dayton's budget proposal to increase e-cigarette tax rates from 70% to 95% of wholesale price, which is not only absurd, but will also encourage even more MN vapers to buy online from out of state vendors.

I sent out letters a few weeks ago and am sad to say I have not received a response from any of them. The 70% tax we pay already makes it difficult to be a competitive vendor. I cringe at the thought of this getting higher and higher.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
I sent out letters a few weeks ago and am sad to say I have not received a response from any of them. The 70% tax we pay already makes it difficult to be a competitive vendor. I cringe at the thought of this getting higher and higher.

How far are you from the capital? How many vendors do you know in MN? Time to organize, find the most competent among you, ask for meetings with various people on those committees on those particular day, and go meet with those who are available.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread