Mission Impossible: It's "liquid," not "joose."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Wiki says "The shape of an object located in some space is a geometrical description of the part of that space occupied by the object, as determined by its external boundary"

Wiki says further "For mobile phones, the form factor refers to the size, style, and shape of a phone as well as to the layout and position of the phone's major components. There are three major forms for mobile phones: bar, flip, and slider."

So I suppose we are applying terms from electronics/PC's/etc. to e-cigs but I'm not too sure about weight in the equation/factor

my $.02

Right. When we discuss PCs/HTPCs/laptops/notebooks/netbooks/tablets/phones, "form factor" is a convenient reference to all of the countless ways in which an object's size/shape/weight influence its accessibility in or appropriateness for different use cases. I imagine it's one of the many terms invented out of whole cloth by the tech industry; I realize there are language purists who hate that, but then there's a whole school of linguists who believe that prescriptivism in language is borderline obnoxious.

YMMV. As an English Major myself, I'm on the fence, but I do often use the term, "form factor." I've probably read too many tech articles over the last 15 years or so. :)

mgjohn

ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
DiabloGrande
Right. When we discuss PCs/HTPCs/laptops/notebooks/netbooks/tablets/phones, "form factor" is a convenient reference to all of the countless ways in which an object's size/shape/weight influence its accessibility in or appropriateness for different use cases. I imagine it's one of the many terms invented out of whole cloth by the tech industry; I realize there are language purists who hate that, but then there's a whole school of linguists who believe that prescriptivism in language is borderline obnoxious.

YMMV. As an English Major myself, I'm on the fence, but I do often use the term, "form factor." I've probably read too many tech articles over the last 15 years or so. :)

Im not a part of your industry and have found it prevalent in many descriptions. I always thought they must just mean shape in the new techie talk. Glad to hear it has acceptance in the industry.

I know in my industry many of the old terms are being lost. Like, appurtenances and borrowed light

Thanks MGJ

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I say we call juice "comma" just to throw off 99% of the vaping community while possibly satisfying English majors (all 7 of them)

My Bahama Mama comma just came in the mail, woo hoo!

But when did "Form Factor" replace the very simple and direct word "Shape"? Has it been forgotten?

I must have missed the memo or was that TV show that much a part of the popular culture?

Shape doesn't encompass size. Form factor is sort of a catch-all term for shape, size, weight.

Wiki says "The shape of an object located in some space is a geometrical description of the part of that space occupied by the object, as determined by its external boundary"

Wiki says further "For mobile phones, the form factor refers to the size, style, and shape of a phone as well as to the layout and position of the phone's major components. There are three major forms for mobile phones: bar, flip, and slider."

So I suppose we are applying terms from electronics/PC's/etc. to e-cigs but I'm not too sure about weight in the equation/factor

my $.02

A bunch of thread derailment goons, y'all are.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
A bunch of thread derailment goons, y'all are.

Really?

Your mission, vapers, should you choose to accept it, is to refrain from using the "J" word when referring to your delicious, satisfying e-liquids.

Mission accomplished.

(Now, what kind of juice comma do I win?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread