My kit for the first mod will be here tomorrow; have some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd Mulske

Moved On
Nov 8, 2011
I ordered this kit from madvapes about a week ago; believe it will be here tomorrow. Since then I have ordered a bucnh of parts to put together a VV PV with a OKR-T/10-W12-C. I decided to do this after I did a bunch of research and found out how efficient a switching regulator is. I am now under the dilemma on whether to make the VV mod that I got from Madvapes or wire it in Parallel which would give me 1800 Mah. at 3.7 volt. I did not get the actual kit, but ordered the revision 2 board and a untouched 3AAA battery box with a horn switch and two 14500 batteries so I can go Parallel and cut my holes out as I need to.

What do others think of the vv kit from madvapes. I have a few questions about the way iot is wired as well; I am posting an image of the board diagram to make it easier for me to ask my questions.

Wiring diagram.jpg

Todd Mulske

Moved On
Nov 8, 2011
This is wired so different than some of the mods I have seen. The switch does go to the control pin but it is between the regulator and the resistor. Shouldn't the resistor be the closest thing to the control pin. It seems that the resistor is actually bypassed because the power source is connected to Channel2 and travels to the vin of regulator and also down channel 2 of the board; then to the switch and ties back in to the control pin above the resistor. Maybe I am looking at this wrong or not understanding it correctly.

This is just one question, I will leave it at that for know until I become unconfused.

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
You're doing a good job of confusing yourself :D

It's simple, put everything where it says to and you should be golden.

The whole load of the battery does not travel through the switch, that's the whole point of switching through the regulator so you don't put all that amperage load onto a tactile switch or whatnot. Seeing as you're using a horn switch probably rated for 3 amps, wiring it through the regulator should make it last even longer as you're not putting the whole load of your atomizer on it.

Pretty much the negative of the battery and the negative of the atomizer connector all get hooked up together then a lead that gets soldered onto the board. Think of where the power source gets soldered to on channel 2 as the input, then where the atomizer connector center post gets hooked up to on channel 4 as the output.

Other than that, not really too sure what you're asking. If you don't understand how electricity and electronics work then to try and understand what's going on there (electrically), beyond what goes where, would only confuse you more. I suggest you check out some basic theory at All About Circuits : Free Electric Circuits Textbooks

If you're looking for another variable volt switching regulator, the PTR08060 or PTR08100 from TI are very efficient. You can order free samples from their website. Plug-in Power Module - Non-Isolated POL - PTR08060W - TI.com (the only difference is that the 08060 can handle up to 6 amps and the 08100 handles 10 amps, which for our purpose is way overkill as most people won't be vaping at any more than 2 amps).

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
What do others think of the vv kit from madvapes. I have a few questions about the way iot is wired as well; I am posting an image of the board diagram to make it easier for me to ask my questions.

View attachment 63473

It's cheap but it does work. Best to add a heat sink because it heats up a good bit.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Not sure I understand why you're asking, but I would just build the MadVapes kit and swap our the linear regulator it includes with the OKR-T. I haven't checked the pin-out differences between the linear and switching regulators, but if there aren't any, you might even be able to use the circuit board it provides. Oh, you'd probably also need a different potentiometer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread