My Simple Cart Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ourei

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
Hawaii! Yay haha
Here I have my Blu e-cig kit, which is about to be retired when my Joye 510 arrives in a few days.

I decided to try dripping with my Blu today - I never dripped before. I got really nice taste using 2 drops. I can barely taste anything by refilling the Blu cartridges.

I came across Highping's cart mod here and gave it a try. Not only does it work great on the Blu e-cigs (I can get 15 drops in the cartridge's cup) but it tastes just like direct dripping to me!

For those who haven't seen the inside of a Blu PCC case, there's 7 holes. It'll hold 5 cartridges and/or atomizers, 1 fully assembled e-cig, and the final slot is for charging a battery. I made a new setup using Highping's mod:

I only have 2 atomizers, so I filled two cartridges with liquid, put an atomizer on each one and put them in the PCC case holes, upside-down (so the atty threads are facing up). I have a battery in the charger slot, and for the slot that takes a fully assembled e-cig, I dropped an empty cartridge into the bottom, and I put the other battery on top (it'll sink to the bottom if I didn't drop in the cart). Because the cartridges have a cup inside, they won't leak by placing them in the slots upside down. Leaving an atomizer on each cartridge will help keep the liquid from evaporating (with the PCC closed, I doubt anything evaporates). I have 3 empty slots left for cartridge/atomizers, so I'm pondering ordering a couple more attys.

When it's time to vape, I take a battery, screw on a pre-filled cart/atty, puff away, then unscrew when I'm done. Since the Blu is an automatic battery, it's also safest to remove the atty from what I've read here.

Anyway, thanks to Highping's mod, my Blu has new life, and I'm very excited to take my Blu to work tomorrow! I might actually keep using it, and leave my 510 for home use.

Wow, just amazing taste with the Blu, thanks Highping!

PS I'm really enjoying Decadent Vapors Parma Violet in one of the carts. Just a great flavor with Highping's mod!

Last edited:
After trying several different methods, and endless frustration. This works! I was skeptical at 1st, but to my surprise it vapes as good as when I drip, and can vape a cart dry. Wouldn`t know about any leaking issues, as I was woofing it so quick it wouldn`t have had time.

I really needed this as it has been a rough couple of days, just couldn`t get any kind of consistent vape. I BIG thank you!
Bob

inkedcanadian

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
Toronto
Such a simple yet fantastic idea

I'm a new vaper and noticed with the normal amount of filler that most carts come with is too much. A lot of the liquid gets absorbed up top and never vaped. Making "fill ups" really only 3-4 drops into the top half.

Tried this method. Cut approx. half of it off and molded the other piece to fit snuggly at the opening. Filled the cart 3/4 full of juice and popped the filler piece in which soaked up the first bit near the top. Popped it in the eGo with 510 atty and BOOYA, got a winner. Thing vapes right through so each fill up is another 1/2 or 3/4 again of a cart and I just pop that little filler back in.

Great job noticing that and sharing!

Cheers brother :toast:

Ponygirl

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2010
Bay area
The poly is important to this method. If you try this with blue foam or something that porous, it's going to leak everywhere.

Just tried this with blue foam and it does work, you just have to go very slow and have a steady hand. With my paper towel at the ready, I filled juice to the rim of the cart. Took my blue foam from SEJ between my tweezers and gently put the foam on the top of the cart. The juice immediately started to saturate the foam and as it did I would push a bit more in until it was even with the rim. Having said all this, I don't know if it will last any longer, but I am hopeful!
Cheers.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
Of all the cart mods out there, the two that were the most interesting technically were the variations of the straw mod. In the first, a straw is put into the bottom and then a shortened plug of wick on top of it. A variation of this is the spring. Highpings is similar.

Basically, all three leave a reservoir which is topped off by a plug of wick. The only problem is that one really has to be very skilled at cutting the wick and choosing the right material.

One straw mod basically shoves a tube (straw or one guy used a thin metal tube from a tatoo parlor-not readily accessable for everyone) alongside the wick which acts as a vent so the juice has a chance to saturate the wick.

This seemed the most logical approach; however, I did not like the idea of using a plastic straw which is probably made of pvc which is not a good idea to get too hot.

I found that the simplest solutions are oftentimes the best. My method replaces the wick with blue foam. The foam is cut just a shade bigger than the cart.

When it comes time to fill, I use a syringe. I push the needle down the side of the cart until it touches bottom. Then I used the needle to compress the foam so that I can see the fluid fill the cart. When the fluid is close to the top, I release the foam. If I have overfilled, fluid will pool on the top. No problem, just suck the excess fluid back into the syringe slowly until the pooling is gone.

My suggestion on syringe is a 3 cc which is about the smallest you can buy. However, you will have problems using the standard needle which is going to be a 20 or 21 gauge.

This size is way too small to handle the viscous e juice, especially if you use a lot of VG.

Tractor Supply sells 3 cc syringes and packs of 16 or 18 gauge needles which work great. Remember the smaller the gauge, the bigger the inner diameter of the needle.

Using this method, I can get about .3 ml in a standard 510 cart which is a lot of juice.

This is quick and clean.

AvalonMyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I put in a piece of straw, had to cut it to fit below the opening then had to cut the side so it would fit like an oval. was pinched when i put it in the first time. then I cut the polyfil to just fill the top. I put in the liquid in the straw then put the fill like a plug and added more to saturate the polyfill. so far so good. just laid it down to see if it leaks.
BTW, I'm using a 510 auto battery. my manual is charging. was wondering if anyone else has done this and what you guys think of this method.

pedromj

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2010
Tokyo
Hi all,

I want to thank HighPing for this fantastic mod. I did not try many mods. First, I tried a home-made plug made from the neck of the cartridge cap. Then I tried the ZFM with the remaining pieces of the other mod. Finally, tired of struggling with the leakage, I decided to try this mod. Although it is very simple, I did not try earlier because I though it needs long time adjusting the parameters (with/height/density).

I was not so far from reality. I needed a straw to hold the plug because it goes a bit inside the cartridge and the atomizer leaves the filler dry. Using more filler also makes it to be dry after two or three draws. With the straw it works great but I think it does not get out all liquid, two or three drops are inside the cartridge. Also, I think that the atomizer has more contact with the filler than without the straw, so it is getting more liquid than needed.

I tried this mod plus the straw in a Tornado. Can anybody give me some advice to get the plug work without the straw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread