NEED HELP BAD! smoking coils while dry burning and harsh taste and hit while wicked and juiced

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my build is a 1.7 ohm singe micro coil about 8 or 9 wraps of 28g kanthal on a 2mm screwdriver running at 3.7v about 8 watts in a magma rda on a provari. not a clone magma, ive washed every component ive boiled my cotton my juice tastes fine in my nautilus. ive made sure the wick is not to tight and not loose. i torched my tweezers to make sure there's nothing left behind on my coils but every time i make a build this harsh chemical or metallic taste and harsh hit just burns my nostrils, i cant figure it out usually this happens right off the bat but this last time the first try was perfect but the chemical came back after a day of use and re-wicking the same coil. so i always dry burn before wicking but this time after stripping the second wick off and after dry burnin all the juice off i kept re-firing my device and noticed that there was a harsh nasty smoke comin out of the neg and positive posts what is this, and sometimes it goes away and vapes fine please help in any way.

iClearoman

Jun 23, 2014
columbus
If your positive and negative posts are smoking thats definitely not good. It sounds like maybe there is a short in your build somewhere. Make sure none of the wires are criss crossing each other and they arent touching the deck well or the side walls. Have you used rda's before? Cause when i first starting using them it seemed the vape was way too harsh for me to handle and i found i had to lower my nicotine level significantly. They vape much differently than tanks do. Also make sure your wicks are nice and saturated or else you will be smoking coil which tastes horrible. Sorry i am not too familiar at diagnosing but putting my two cents worth in anyways.

Good luck!

thank you for the reply i think you might be right about the short because it has gone away at random times and the vape is smooth and thick when working properly. and no first rda but im no stranger to harshness (herbal) and this is definatley not just a hard throat hit but fowl and like i said metallic and ya seeing that smoke constantly on the dry burns really tripped me out, unfortunately just ran out of kanthal so gotta stick with my tank till more come in but ill definatley take any and all suggestions on this topic. i guess maybe i keep managing to create a short every time i rebuild when it comes in im gonna really take my time with these next coils. oh and ive built about 6 different coils at different resistances and different sizes so far just one right so ill keep tryin but thank you i think it is shorting.

Seanchai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Georgia, USA
Smoke coming from your posts is usually due to a "hot leg", especially if the build checks out okay (i.e. at the resistance it should be) with an ohm meter or a multimeter. Are the legs of the coil heating up/turning red all the way up to where the wire goes under the posts? If so, there's your problem.

It's not difficult to fix, just takes a little patience - make sure your wraps are even, then use a small screwdriver/straight pin/paperclip/etc to very gently adjust the coil's position in relation to the posts. Remove the poking implement you're using to adjust after each adjustment (very important!) and fire the mod to see if the legs are still heating up. If so, adjust again. Every atty has its own "personality" in terms of where the coil likes to be in order for the legs to stay cool, in my experience.

If your legs aren't heating up or turning red and you still have smoke coming from the posts, that's definitely a short and I'd want to check it with a multimeter to narrow down exactly *where* it's shorting and what on.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
when you washed the atty, did you remove the screws from it?? sometimes machining oil can get trapped in the screw holes and when the screws are inserted it contains it and the heat causes it to make nastyness... rewash with "Awesome" orange cleaner/degreaser and have the screws out when you do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread