Need some help and advice picking a budget device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccharper

Dec 17, 2021
Hey everyone. Recently after seeing the damage smoking has done to my belongings I've decided to stop smoking in the house and start vaping instead. I'm here to ask for some recommendations and maybe so even some advice.

I've used a vape before in the past a few times. As well as a few different devices, all being pens or pods. So I have a bit of experience luckily so I know the things I want and don't want and I'm hoping people here can point me in the right direction.

Things that are most important to me:

-- Draw feeling like a cigarette. Definitely a mouth to lung device. I've seen some pens with very wide diameter tips and I don't see that being a good option for me at all.

-- I'd prefer a pen device unless the pod device has replaceable coils rather the pods. I don't like systems that I can't refill with my own juice and even more so systems that have expensive replacement pods or coils. I'm on a really tight budget and having reasonable priced maintenance is very important to me.

-- The only other thing would be leaks. I hate getting juice on my hands when using the device or even refilling it. As far as budget, ideally I could get something for 20$ but I can give a few dollars if I need to.

As far as liquid I'll be using a bit of both nic salts and juice. Juice probably more so as it seems to be the cheaper option. Sorry about the tight budget but times are hard and I tried to think of reasonable wants in a device for my small budget.

Last thing I'll add is I do have a eGo one atomizer and about 25 to 30 replacement coils for it I received as a gift a long time ago So maybe if I can find a decent cheaper pen battery for it that would be a great option considering I'd have coils for a long time. I would like to get a different tip for it though as the metal or whatever I do not like at all.

Thanks for any responses and anyone who took the time to read this and help me out.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Hey everyone. Recently after seeing the damage smoking has done to my belongings I've decided to stop smoking in the house and start vaping instead. I'm here to ask for some recommendations and maybe so even some advice.

I've used a vape before in the past a few times. As well as a few different devices, all being pens or pods. So I have a bit of experience luckily so I know the things I want and don't want and I'm hoping people here can point me in the right direction.

Things that are most important to me:

-- Draw feeling like a cigarette. Definitely a mouth to lung device. I've seen some pens with very wide diameter tips and I don't see that being a good option for me at all.

-- I'd prefer a pen device unless the pod device has replaceable coils rather the pods. I don't like systems that I can't refill with my own juice and even more so systems that have expensive replacement pods or coils. I'm on a really tight budget and having reasonable priced maintenance is very important to me.

-- The only other thing would be leaks. I hate getting juice on my hands when using the device or even refilling it. As far as budget, ideally I could get something for 20$ but I can give a few dollars if I need to.

As far as liquid I'll be using a bit of both nic salts and juice. Juice probably more so as it seems to be the cheaper option. Sorry about the tight budget but times are hard and I tried to think of reasonable wants in a device for my small budget.

Last thing I'll add is I do have a eGo one atomizer and about 25 to 30 replacement coils for it I received as a gift a long time ago So maybe if I can find a decent cheaper pen battery for it that would be a great option considering I'd have coils for a long time. I would like to get a different tip for it though as the metal or whatever I do not like at all.

Thanks for any responses and anyone who took the time to read this and help me out.
    If you want a very good MTL Pod System that uses replaceable coils that last for weeks not days look into the Freemax Onnix 2 , flavor is great and your able to disarm the fire button for a auto-draw only vape. If you care to check out my review of it here's the link.

FREEMAX ONNIX 2 POD KIT

Reactions: smacuser

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

Personally, unless you can get a device to use the tank on for super cheap, you may want to ditch the idea of using that tank and coils. I would try selling the tank and coils you have to put into a more modern device. Of course, that's easier said than done as low-end devices don't bring much money so it may not even be worth the effort. I'm looking at my inventory but I don't see anything that would suit you or the tank that I'd be willing to sell or give away.

I say spend your time and money on a modern device so you know you can get coils for it. Best bet is to check out all the local vape shops and see what they have. At least you know you can get coils locally.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: Fidola13

ImperfectFuture

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2014
    Seattle
    To add, I have both the SMOK novo 2 (only available at local vape shop) and Smok Nord 50w (finally available at another shop, replacement lp2 coils costly).

My Novo requires replacement pods. Buy 3 when purchase Novo2 (or other tank that does not have replacement coils). Put different flavors in each pod. Then, start watching some you tube videos about devices mentioned, and recommended you tube videos - to get a grasp of pods and replacements, how not to burn non replaceable pods, how to clean coils and pods (replacement), etc. I have been waiting too long for 2 mods I ordered in November, had to purchase more expensive (but same) at local vape shops.

I find having two great. Can charge up one and vape on the other. The USB-c cord is too short to use on anything but my computer, so the Novo 2 gets more use, but the flavor comes fron knowing how to set your wattage per coil and juice with the Nord.

Its a learning experience, once you get started.

$30 is no enough to get one started with the parameters you set out, Just an FYI.

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    I looked up the eGo One Atomizer, found this:

eGo ONE Atomizer - Joyetech Electronic Cigarette

Good thing is that it has a 510 pin so you just need a solid 'battery' to use as a device. You can get one for less than $20 from MyVaporStore online but you'll have to pay shipping/taxes/etc. The device you want to get will depend on what replacement coils you have. If the replacements are the 1.0 Ohm coils then anything will work because 1.0 Ohms will give you a good MTL range through the charge of the battery even if the device does not allow you to set your own power level. That is, full charge is 4.2 Volts so you'll start at 17.64 Watts. The device should cut you off before it goes completely dead. So it will be a strong enough vape on a full charge and get weak enough to let you know when the battery must be recharged. If you have the 0.50 Ohm coils then your vape will start off substantially stronger at a full charge and you might want a device that allows control or limits max Wattage. The good thing is that, looking around, those coils are rated at the appropriate power levels. It looks like that atomizer was made to go on an inexpensive device. Something like this should work:

Aspire CF MAXX 3000mAh Mod

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    If you want a very good MTL Pod System that uses replaceable coils that last for weeks not days look into the Freemax Onnix 2 , flavor is great and your able to disarm the fire button for a auto-draw only vape. If you care to check out my review of it here's the link.

FREEMAX ONNIX 2 POD KIT
    I think this is a good choice however, the coils currently cost about $3 each. While yes, they will last you a while, that heavily depends on how often you're vaping.

I think Bob would agree with my suggestion on the Uwell Havok V1. This is one of the only devices that I have, that gives a "true" tight MTL draw. As in, you can make it feel like you're trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose when the AFC is fully closed. It also opens up to a lightly restricted DL - the sliding airflow control allows anything between these two styles of vaping.

Uwell UN2 coils are highly regarded for flavor and coil life. I would definitely go with the 0.6 Ohm coil based on what you listed for wants.

The internal battery is larger than most you're going to find in a small pod kits (1800 mAh) however, this isn't a vape pen. It's about 3/4 the dimensional size of a credit/check card, and about as wide as if you were to stack 6-7 non-embossed credit/check cards on top of each other. Still very pocket friendly though.

When I tested this pod kit for review, I set it on several of it's sides over night to check for its leak resistance. Zero leaks, and to this day, still no leaking (pods very often leak after having sat idle for a long while - none with this kit).

The pod size is also ginormous for a kit of this size. A 4 mL tank will be more than plenty to get you through a day of normal use, using the 0.6 Ohm coil.

Here's the review I did on it a bit ago.

If you have any further questions, don't be afraid to ask/tag me.

Happy holidays!

Last edited:

listopencil

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2017
    In Partibus Infidelium
    As far as your budget goes, my suggestion would be to only buy what you absolutely need (the device that you use as the 'battery') and then try to save money by buying less smokes. Use the money you've saved from vaping instead of smoking to upgrade your set up once you've put aside $75 to $100. That's only ten packs of cigarettes and it gives you another reason to choose vaping over smoking in the short term.

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    I think this is a good choice however, the coils currently cost about $3 each. While yes, they will last you a while, that heavily depends on how often you're vaping.

I think Bob would agree with my suggestion on the Uwell Havok V1. This is one of the only devices that I have, that gives a "true" tight MTL draw. As in, you can make it feel like you're trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose when the AFC is fully closed. It also opens up to a lightly restricted DL - the sliding airflow control allows anything between these two styles of vaping.

Uwell UN2 coils are highly regarded for flavor and coil life. I would definitely go with the 0.6 Ohm coil based on what you listed for wants.

The internal battery is larger than most you're going to find than most small pod kits (1800 mAh) however, this isn't a vape pen. It's about 3/4 the dimensional size of a credit/check card, and about as wide as if you were to stack 7-8 non-embossed credit/check cards on top of each other. Very pocket friendly.

When I tested this pod kit for review, I set it on several of it's sides over night to check for its leak resistance. Zero leaks, and to this day, still no leaking (pods very often leak after having sat idle for a long while - none with this kit).

The pod size is also ginormous for a kit of this size. A 4 mL tank will be more than plenty to get you through a day of normal use, using the 0.6 Ohm coil.

Here's the review I did on it a bit ago.

If you have any further questions, don't be afraid to ask/tag me.

Happy holidays!
    I agree with you but he said he wanted a pen styled device and the Freemax comes close. I have yet to see even a drop leak or seep from the great Havok V1.

• Agree
    Reactions: Z-Lee

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I agree with you but he said he wanted a pen styled device and the Freemax comes close. I have yet to see even a drop leak or seep from the great Havok V1.
    He mentioned "unless it has replaceable coils rather than pods". :thumb: I still haven't found a pod device that restricts airflow like the Havok. It's the tightest MTL of any device I own today.

Reactions: bigbob2322

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm throwing another one into the mix. I quit smoking using an Innokin t18 pen kit, and later the t22 kit. It was extremely reliable, never leaked, the coils lasted and it had great flavour.

Most importantly it had the cigarette-style draw I wanted. Even the mouthpiece was the size of a cigarette filter.

Depending on where you like, there's a few varieties:

The original t18 kit:
    1000mah
    2.5ml tank
    Endura T18 - Product | INNOKIN®

The T18II Mini kit:
    1000mah
    2ml tank
    T18II Mini - Product | INNOKIN®

The T18II kit:
    1300mah
    2.5ml tank
    T18II - Product | INNOKIN®

The newest T18X kit:
    1000mah
    2.5ml tank
    Endura T18X - Vape Kit | INNOKIN®

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    +1 for the Freemax Onnix 2.

I bought one on a whim just to see what it was all about.
    • USBC fast charging
    • 3.2ml REFILLABLE pod capacity
    • replaceable coils (a few different options)
    • 2-3 different power output options (depending on coil in use)
    • not to terrible battery life
    • local vape shops carry replacement pods, coils and batteries
    • sort of MTL or restricted DL settings
    • my 'kit' cost ~$45 shipped
    Overall, it is a better device than what I started on: ~600mAH, 1.8ml, MTL 'EGO' device with Aspire K1 clearomizer.

BONUS points that it costs ~1/3 what I paid for a starter device in 2014.

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    +1 for the Freemax Onnix 2.

I bought one on a whim just to see what it was all about.
    • USBC fast charging
    • 3.2ml REFILLABLE pod capacity
    • replaceable coils (a few different options)
    • 2-3 different power output options (depending on coil in use)
    • not to terrible battery life
    • local vape shops carry replacement pods, coils and batteries
    • sort of MTL or restricted DL settings
    • my 'kit' cost ~$45 shipped
    Overall, it is a better device than what I started on: ~600mAH, 1.8ml, MTL 'EGO' device with Aspire K1 clearomizer.

BONUS points that it costs ~1/3 what I paid for a starter device in 2014.
    You can further restrict the draw if you use a finger/thumb/both to cover the airflow holes on the side. With auto-draw, hardly makes this an inconvenience what-so-ever. I will however mention that it might have adverse effects on the coil, not giving it enough air.

ccharper

Dec 17, 2021
    I actually wasnt expecting so many great responses from this thread, so I just checked back in today. I'd like to share what my own research has led me to and would love to hear some opinions.

Firstly, what ive been leaning towards most the Innokin Sceptre MTL. At 20-21$ its right in my price range. Coils are often 6$ for a pack of 5. Which for me, is perfect, even if they last a week apiece.

Secondly, what I was considering most before looking at the Sceptre.. The Geekvape Wenax Stylus. It can be had for roughly 16$ which is cheaper up front, but sadly the coils are about 4-5$ more per 5 pack.

If I can hear good things about the Sceptre MTL, it seems to be a great device for my price range. Coils are around the price range for a 5 pack id like. Everything as far as price/budget goes is perfect.

Thank you to all the responses. Mostly the ones who kept my budget in mind. I dont feel im asking for too much. If the Sceptre for isntance has a decent MTL draw, and doesnt leak. Its exactly what i asked for. So I dont feel im out of line asking for a 20-25$ device for what i want which is just cheaper coils, mtl draw, no leaks.

Also id like to address the frequent comment of ''stop smoking and save''. I invested in a 50$ rolling machine about 3 years ago. When buying incredibly cheap tobacco and filters, my cigaretees cost next to nothing. The people in my house smoke as well, so they will exist whether or not I smoke or not. So the concept is a good one, just doesnt apply to me personally. This is what I have to spend, and I dont feel what im asking for is crazy for my budget. I dont need perfection in my desires.

Also thank you listopencil for checking out all these batteries for me. If its cheap enough im still considering it, but I think if the Sceptre MTL is a decent device im gonna go that route for now. After seeing all the great responses, ill be checking in soon after this response. Didnt expect this at all. Thanks!

Going to look more deeply at some of the recommendations at my price point as well that were mentioned here to see if something looks comparable to the Sceptre.

Reactions: listopencil
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread