Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
If you're using standard 30 or 60 ml glass bottles to mix in (or whatever size bottle you choose as long as you can see the level, and shake, mix or whatever you do blend together) once you're familiar with where the fill to the level is, simply fill everything into the bottle and then add the VG to fill to the fill point. For me it's the easiest way to deal with that viscous stuff. Even if not quite as precise, it will be within 1-2% of your goal which is good enough for me.
This is what I do for testers and snv's.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If you're using standard 30 or 60 ml glass bottles to mix in (or whatever size bottle you choose as long as you can see the level, and shake, mix or whatever you do blend together) once you're familiar with where the fill to the level is, simply fill everything into the bottle and then add the VG to fill to the fill point. For me it's the easiest way to deal with that viscous stuff. Even if not quite as precise, it will be within 1-2% of your goal which is good enough for me.
This is the way I do it now that I have a few recipes under my belt.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I do that also. It may not be as precise, but it sure is easier than doing them all any other way. I do stay precise with my nic, which has to be max VG. I do flavors, nic, H20 and then VG, and if my levels stay similar, I'm good with it. I didn't start out that way, but I have noticed no real change in my mixes, and it just cuts down on the time involved especially if I am mixing over 10 mixes, which isn't infrequent.

Anna

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I do the same. Mix everything in except the VG and then just pour it in to the fill level.

I also just mix the the nic, flavors and PG together, shake them up good, cap the bottle and let them sit and mix together for a couple days before putting in the VG. seems to mix them better, faster.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
@Beamslider @stols001 @mattiem @Letitia

If you are using clear bottles, you could always put a strip of tape vertically on the side from the very bottom to the very top. Then as you pour measured ingredients in mark a line on the tape where the level is once that ingredient is added. After doing this once per bottle, you now have a marked guide on the side of the bottle so that it becomes the measuring device. You just have to always put the ingredients in in the same order. Much more reliable than just "eyeballing it" based on memory. If using Scotch tape, you may need to put another strip over the first one once the lines have been marked to prevent the ink from smearing off.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The only things crucial to me are the nic and flavorings. For that the correct size syringe does the trick, either a one ml for the little stuff, five for most, and a ten for probably stuff like PG. I never really mix more than 120 ml of a particular juice at a time, usually more like 60 ml for a non-all day juice. So I might have 15 ml of PG and PG based flavor and nic, all done with some precision and then just top off.

My basic rule is anything under 2 ml is a one ml syringe choice, 2 to 5 ml the five ml syringe, and the ten ml syringe if needed. Add VG to fill line. Keeps it all simple for me, and I spend more time sorting through finding all the flavorings than the actual mixing.

RichardV

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
The Golden Isles of Georgia, USA
While you are developing your DIY skills consider this.
If there are flavors that you use a lot from Vape Wild you can order larger quantities of a flavor at cheaper rates. 240 ml (8 x 30 ml bottles) is $34.99 or $4.37 a bottle, or 480 ml (16 x 30 ml bottles) is $59.99 or $3.75 a bottle.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
While you are developing your DIY skills consider this.
If there are flavors that you use a lot from Vape Wild you can order larger quantities of a flavor at cheaper rates. 240 ml (8 x 30 ml bottles) is $34.99 or $4.37 a bottle, or 480 ml (16 x 30 ml bottles) is $59.99 or $3.75 a bottle.

Those prices aren't too bad but still quite a bit higher than NicotineRiver. My Wintergreen flavoring is $4.50 for 60ml (2oz) or $20 for 500ml with several sizes in between.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Everyone's favorite method is right for them. If it's easy and comfortable and it works, it's the way you should go. I like mixing by weight. Put a bottle on the scale, add an ingredient to the right weight, press tare to zero the scale, and add the next. I started off with droppers for nic and moved to 3ml pipettes. You can get a bag of 100 for a few bucks and toss them after use. I add the Nic to all bottles first, then toss the pipette.

Flavors are where you can spend a lot of money. Buy small 10ml bottles at first. When you start running out of a flavor, switch to 30ml bottles or larger because you know that it's one of your favorites. I use the dropper bottles that flavors come in to add to the bottle on the scale.

I've run through about three bottles each of PG and VG in quarts in two years. I've never bought gallons of either because I get about 8 months out of a quart of each vaping 10ml juice a day. Quarts take up less storage space. I pour VG and PG in clear condiment bottles and squeeze from those into the bottle on the scale.

Figs

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2017
Granbury - Texas - USA
To save some money fast try ohmsvapes.com

I get 100 ml of juice for $10, or 240ml for 23. It’s good juice too. I go through a lot, but at their prices and quality it’s affordable. They have a good RY4, and several others that are good. They also have sample packs that are cheap so you can try them out.

DIY is cool, but if you want a quick, easy, cheap and tasty option, you could give it a try. There are many cheaper options than the $6.99 for 30ml you are paying now.

Then you could get set up in the whole DIY world when money isn’t so tight.

Just my 2 cents....

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I bought a liter of nicotine, gallon of vg and liter of pg along with many bottles and mixing tools from nicotine river.

I bought all my flavors from wizard labs and was quite pleased with their selection.

I settled on the pharaoh mini rta so I picked two of those up, a coil master kit and a few other things at vapenw.

So this was an investment but not too bad when you figure out how much we were spending on juice and coils then compare it to how much I'm going to save now.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

I bought a liter of nicotine, gallon of vg and liter of pg along with many bottles and mixing tools from nicotine river.

I bought all my flavors from wizard labs and was quite pleased with their selection.

I settled on the pharaoh mini rta so I picked two of those up, a coil master kit and a few other things at vapenw.

So this was an investment but not too bad when you figure out how much we were spending on juice and coils then compare it to how much I'm going to save now.
What flavors did you get? Maybe we can help get you out of the gate with a winner!

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

It looks like you are well on your way to practically free vaping. Since e-liquid it the most expensive consumable, making your own just makes sense. I saw that during my first year of vaping so went the DIY route. The biggest plus for me though is I have total control as to what goes in mine. Over the past 5 years I have occasionally purchased pre-made e-liquid and sadly, each time, I was disappointed with it. Good luck on this new journey you are taking. We will be here for you if you need help.

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
Vancouver Island BC Canada
I have been making my own e liquids now for 7 years (financial reasons) so I know some items I have bought to help me mix I never use.
Saved up some of those old 510 atties for testing mixes while doing them.
I have in freezer 1 L of 100 mg PG base mix and 1 L of 200 mg PG base mix that I think will last me over 8 years at my current useage.

I managed to end up with things I didn't need without buying a starter kit. But I got to try them and find out I didn't need them.

So like you never bought a kit (wasn't much around for that then) nor have I bought concentrated pre mixed flavors. I may be nuts but I have been doing this so long so simple flavors I like are things like coconut candy and banana flavors all easy ones to mix.
Once in a while i will find a shop and try out 10 ml of their mixes ....more often than not I end up mixing those with some of my own.

I am bad ......I eye ball my mixing for the most part. I do have a lot of syringes (need them for 1 shot a week for me) clean up things with a 50W ultrasonic cleaner (that also heats up the distilled water mix that I clean up all my stuff with). I also invested into a small fridge to store my extracts in. For the most part I do simple mixes but I have five tanks going each day each with 2ml tanks and I color code them with a touch of nail polish that matches the touch of nail polish on the glass e liquid bottles.
I find it very easy to DIY for my e liquids .....cost here in shops to buy is like $1 per ml and I find that a bit insane lol Doesn't cost me anywhere near that to make my own. Can't remember the costs of my base mixes but I am in Canada and bought them from the US. For some reason not found any shop in Canada to sell base mix over 48 mg which is fine if that is your only option. Using that now ......cut in half with vg then add my flavor choices. I like sweets and nuts the most for vaping but took me a while to find my groove with it.

But if you want to save money that is the best way. I also make sure all my tanks are the same kind and all the coils clean up well in the ultrasonic cleaner so more savings for me.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I have been making my own e liquids now for 7 years (financial reasons) so I know some items I have bought to help me mix I never use.
Saved up some of those old 510 atties for testing mixes while doing them.
I have in freezer 1 L of 100 mg PG base mix and 1 L of 200 mg PG base mix that I think will last me over 8 years at my current useage.

So like you never bought a kit (wasn't much around for that then) nor have I bought concentrated pre mixed flavors. I may be nuts but I have been doing this so long so simple flavors I like are things like coconut candy and banana flavors all easy ones to mix.
Once in a while i will find a shop and try out 10 ml of their mixes ....more often than not I end up mixing those with some of my own.

I am bad ......I eye ball my mixing for the most part. I do have a lot of syringes (need them for 1 shot a week for me) clean up things with a 50W ultrasonic cleaner (that also heats up the distilled water mix that I clean up all my stuff with). I also invested into a small fridge to store my extracts in. For the most part I do simple mixes but I have five tanks going each day each with 2ml tanks and I color code them with a touch of nail polish that matches the touch of nail polish on the glass e liquid bottles.
I find it very easy to DIY for my e liquids .....cost here in shops to buy is like $1 per ml and I find that a bit insane lol Doesn't cost me anywhere near that to make my own. Can't remember the costs of my base mixes but I am in Canada and bought them from the US. For some reason not found any shop in Canada to sell base mix over 48 mg which is fine if that is your only option. Using that now ......cut in half with vg then add my flavor choices. I like sweets and nuts the most for vaping but took me a while to find my groove with it.

But if you want to save money that is the best way. I also make sure all my tanks are the same kind and all the coils clean up well in the ultrasonic cleaner so more savings for me.
LOL, yep, no kits available when we started vaping, so we kind of had to put the pieces together. I still vape one flavor mixes all the time, i.e. like juicy fruit, spearmint, etc. I have also ventured out to some of the shops that feature a blend of flavors they make themselves, some are very good and act as a single flavor when mixing.
I too color code, but I use different colors of drip tips to help keep them all straight.

:)

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
Buy a meat injector at the grocery store and cut the end off with your wire cutters

I once bought a huge stainless steel syringe for that VG out of the freezer but unfortunately I was not strong enough to use it .....gave it away.

Same here so used to doing the same mixes all the time ..........just eye ball it ...........that is the lazy way.
When I am wanting to try different mixes I use syringes and the old 510 atties to test as I go.

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
LOL, yep, no kits available when we started vaping, so we kind of had to put the pieces together. I still vape one flavor mixes all the time, i.e. like juicy fruit, spearmint, etc. I have also ventured out to some of the shops that feature a blend of flavors they make themselves, some are very good and act as a single flavor when mixing.
I too color code, but I use different colors of drip tips to help keep them all straight.

Me too over drip tips and covers for my battery mods. Color coding helps me keep track. I like glass drip tips but finding ones that do not break and have some nice colors in them is a challenge. Not cheap either but I do prefer glass to other materials for drip tips.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Me too over drip tips and covers for my battery mods. Color coding helps me keep track. I like glass drip tips but finding ones that do not break and have some nice colors in them is a challenge. Not cheap either but I do prefer glass to other materials for drip tips.
I have settled on the acrylics as my favs. They are light and don't break. I also prefer the wide bore ones as, for me, they allow more flavor and vapor to pass through.

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
I have settled on the acrylics as my favs. They are light and don't break. I also prefer the wide bore ones as, for me, they allow more flavor and vapor to pass through.

Same for me with the wide bore ones
Going to try and put a picture of my color coding if I am allowed
The cases over my Eleaf 40 W battery mod I have put nail polish on them .....same nail polish color on bottles and syringes used to fill the tanks.

Attachments

• mods 2.jpg
    mods 2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread