New here, hookah user seeking advice for first vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aawa

Verified Member
Feb 27, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
Unfortunately there isn't a good place to really start. vaping runs the gambit from quick easy setups to very intricate setups that you need to do your homework to be safe, and the forums can be very overwhelming because you are getting bombarded with information.

I started vaping in January and started with an ego-twist. Within 3 weeks I had ditched the ego-twist and jumped into the world mechanical mods, rebuildable atomizers, and sub-ohming since the ego-twist didn't completely satisfy me. I will say that GrimmGreen on youtube has a great video on how to select your first upgrade after a start up kit. If you want to learn if sub-ohming is for you, and learn about the safety McVapes and Rip Trippers have great videos on some of the things you need to know.

I also recommend (if possible) to stop by a local vape shop and talk to the staff and people hanging out. Vapers tend to be very willing to help out people looking to learn about e-cigarettes, as they know it is better than being on tobacco. Tell them all that you are looking to replace hookah and what would they recommend. Ask about the different devices that the vapers are using that are hanging around the shop. It really helps to be able to physically see and hold the different devices at the shops and can get a quick 1-2 minute demo on how to use it.

I never recommend getting into mechanical mods and rebuildable atomizers unless you do your due diligence and learn about battery specs and safety, how to build your coils properly and checking them for resistance and shorts, and knowing how to use an ohms law calculator and what each value means and how relates to your device/build.

Moedog

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2013
Charlotte, NC, USA
If you're looking to get into sub ohm and or rebuildables, I would suggest you find a B&M that sponsors rebuilding clinics--you can learn a lot. Or just ask your B&M when guys meet there to rebuild and show up. They will be glad to explain anything you need to know. Short of rebuilding, the Aspire Nautilus is the way to go. And throat hit is usually directly related to nicotine level.

codyb88

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
If you're looking to get into sub ohm and or rebuildables, I would suggest you find a B&M that sponsors rebuilding clinics--you can learn a lot. Or just ask your B&M when guys meet there to rebuild and show up. They will be glad to explain anything you need to know. Short of rebuilding, the Aspire Nautilus is the way to go. And throat hit is usually directly related to nicotine level.

Can you get nicotine without throat hit or is that simply not possible?

rmk_kelly

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2014
Winchester, VA, USA
Can you get nicotine without throat hit or is that simply not possible?

Nicotine and PG are related to the throat hit. If you have a juice that is high in nic and PG you will likely get a big throat hit. The 50/50 blends are better in my opinion. The lower the nic and the higher the VG give less throat hit also. I am using a 12 or 6 mg juice with 50/50 blend and they aren't bad. The 18mg nic juice that I have is a 70/30 PG/VG blend and I hate it. Flavor is good but it is way too harsh. If you don't want a throat hit at all...go with lower nic and higher VG liquids. A lot of vendors will allow you to pic your PG/VG percentages as they mix to order. EC Blends and Killer Juice are both that way.

Last edited:

codyb88

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Nicotine and PG are related to the throat hit. If you have a juice that is high in nic and PG you will likely get a big throat hit. The 50/50 blends are better in my opinion. The lower the nic and the higher the VG give less throat hit also. I am using a 12 or 6 mg juice with 50/50 blend and they aren't bad. The 18mg nic juice that I have is a 70/30 PG/VG blend and I hate it. Flavor is good but it is way too harsh. If you don't want a throat hit at all...go with lower nic and higher VG liquids. A lot of vendors will allow you to pic your PG/VG percentages as they mix to order. EC Blends and Killer Juice are both that way.

Is 50% pg too high? I've used only 6mg of Nic and 0 and I assume 50/50 blends we're what I used since I went to alt smoke for my liquid. I guess I want a cooler vape with no throat hit and able to get decent clouds and flavor from it. What would you guys suggest I get for those wants?

Thank you by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread