New Member - Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed2020

Jul 1, 2014
Birmingham, England
Hi,

I have been lurking and learning here for a while but thought it was about time I signed up and said hi.

I've smoked for nearly 20 years and, at my peak, was getting through at least 20 (often 30) cigarettes per day. I started vaping in January this year as I am currently living in a non-smoking household and wanted something I could use in the house without stinking the place up. I didn't intend to quit smoking; just to have something to use in the evenings to save regular trips outside into the cold.

Knowing no better, my first purchase was an e-Lites kit. It seemed okay (at the time) but the manufacturer's claim of one cartridge being the equivalent of 40 cigarettes was clearly wildly overestimated (and £7.00 for two refills was working out expensive) and the battery life was poor, so, I made my first upgrade to a Vivid Vapours kit from my local corner shop.

The Vivid Vapours kit provided improved battery life and e-liquids were available just around the corner at £5 per 10ml (considerably cheaper than the e-Lites cartridges!). Vapour production and flavour were also both improved. I also noticed that the number of cigarettes I was smoking had (unintentionally) dropped significantly. This got me thinking I should probably research what else was out there.

After much online reading I decided my next purchase was to be an MVP2 - I liked the idea of VV/VW and also vastly improved battery capacity. I wasn't disappointed! The battery easily lasts me a couple of days and vaping at 11w was a massive improvement over the Vivid battery. Lovely thick, flavoursome vapour. My only complaint was that, owing to the large battery capacity of the MVP2, it took a long time to recharge which was sometimes inconvenient. Time for more online research...!

Purchase number four was a VTR, a Kanger Protank 3, Samsung IMR batteries and a Nitecore i2 charger. 15w vaping was noticeably better than the 11w of the MVP2 and swappable batteries was more convenient too. The 2600mAh Samsungs don't last as long as the MVP2's 2600mAh battery (presumably because of increased wattage?) but being able to swap and recharge at will more than makes up for this. I also prefer the Kanger Protank 3 over the iClear 30 and iClear 30S that came with the MVP and VTR - it seems to provide a cleaner flavour. By now I am vaping A LOT and smoking very little (at most 1 or 2 a day, some days none at all) and I haven't even tried to cut down the smoking. Vaping a lot means I get through Kanger coils pretty quickly, even with cleaning and dry-burning. Throwing away an entire head when only the wick and wire is bad seemed wasteful, so I went back to my internet research and read up on rebuildables.

The rebuildables available for the VTR are limited owing to the diameter of the VTR's recess. After a considerable amount of reading I opted for the BT804 Extended Dream. On it's first fill the Dream tasted FOUL. I mean truly REVOLTING. So I stripped it down, thoroughly cleaned it, including flaming the wick and coil, and put it all back together... much better! Even for a relative newbie like me, rebuilding this thing is a piece of cake. The vapour production and flavour rivals even my Protank 3. My only real gripe about the Dream is it's a complete ball-ache to fill without having it flood. Sometimes I manage it, often I don't. I'm hoping practice will make perfect! In the meantime, if anyone has any other recommendations for rebuildables that fit the VTR, I'd very much like to hear them!

I'm also keen to cut down on my e-juice costs. If anyone can recommend any reliable UK websites they've used, that I can order larger/cheaper amounts from I'd appreciate a heads-up. I'm mainly vaping menthol (a difficult flavour to do badly I think!) so top-quality e-liquid isn't essential Cheap is what I'm after! :)

As things stand at the moment I haven't smoked for 72 hours and it's been easy. I haven't been trying to quit smoking altogether and I'm still not trying to do so. If and when it happens - great; if I have the occasional one - no biggie. Even with drastically cutting down I feel much healthier, so I certainly won't be giving up vaping and returning to smoking 20+ per day any time soon! :D

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome ed2020

I come to Birmingham most weeks, it's my 2nd home!

If you want cheap liquids, look here for an opening offer..

Lickwid Home

I am trying 3 of them this very morning. :)

I use these guys

LT Ecigs

If you find one you like from here, there's a good chance you can buy the concentrate flavour and make your own for 60p a bottle.

I have 2 flavours ready made which are steeping (maturing/mixing) as I type to you.

- - -

I started off with E-Lites. I wasted SO much money on their bull nonsense. They firstly told me I wasn't using the product correctly (in a reply on a review site) then, when I posted a crushing review on the internet exposing the lies and rip-off practices (£3.99 per cartomiser... f.f.s) they forced me to remove comment through the owners of the review site.
There are a lot of rip-off practices in the e-cig world. The only way through the maze is to use forums.

Nice to see you :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Oh... and if you ever need clearomisers (Protanks, Innokin) then this company is hard to beat.

Myepack.co.uk

£3.49 Evods. £7.99 Protank 2. £1.20 replacement heads (in five packs for £6).

Why are people paying so much for stuff? I saw a Protank 2 for £19.99 only last week and an MVP for £99.99. It is terrible.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome!

After much online reading I decided my next purchase was to be an MVP2 - I liked the idea of VV/VW and also vastly improved battery capacity. I wasn't disappointed! The battery easily lasts me a couple of days and vaping at 11w was a massive improvement over the Vivid battery. Lovely thick, flavoursome vapour. My only complaint was that, owing to the large battery capacity of the MVP2, it took a long time to recharge which was sometimes inconvenient.

I too have the MVP and love it. I don't always wait until the battery needs charging to recharge it. I often plug it in and vape (when it's convenient) while charging.

Purchase number four was a VTR, a Kanger Protank 3, Samsung IMR batteries and a Nitecore i2 charger. 15w vaping was noticeably better than the 11w of the MVP2 and swappable batteries was more convenient too. The 2600mAh Samsungs don't last as long as the MVP2's 2600mAh battery (presumably because of increased wattage?) but being able to swap and recharge at will more than makes up for this. Vaping a lot means I get through Kanger coils pretty quickly, even with cleaning and dry-burning. Throwing away an entire head when only the wick and wire is bad seemed wasteful, so I went back to my internet research and read up on rebuildables.

I also have all the above as well as some mini Protanks, Protank v2's and an Aerotank. Recently upgraded the ones w/o airflow control by purchasing some Aerobases. You do not have to throw away your Kanger coils! They can be rebuilt and wicked with cotton. There are videos out on YouTube by RipTrippers on how to do it.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other recommendations for rebuildables that fit the VTR, I'd very much like to hear them!

Most RBA/RDA's can be used with the VTR if you use the extender. However, in general I don't do this due to the size. I save all of my 22mm RBA/RDA's for my mech mods.

Good luck in finding your perfect vape!

ed2020

Jul 1, 2014
Birmingham, England
I also have all the above as well as some mini Protanks, Protank v2's and an Aerotank. Recently upgraded the ones w/o airflow control by purchasing some Aerobases. You do not have to throw away your Kanger coils! They can be rebuilt and wicked with cotton. There are videos out on YouTube by RipTrippers on how to do it.

Ah yes, but I have sausage fingers and it looks fiddly as hell, especially the dual coil Protank 3 heads. Can a single coil be inserted into a PT3 head?

Most RBA/RDA's can be used with the VTR if you use the extender. However, in general I don't do this due to the size. I save all of my 22mm RBA/RDA's for my mech mods.

I too find the extender too large. Might as well just use the MVP. The VTR's extender seems to defeat the purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
to ecf ed2020. So glad you are here and decided to join in the fun. See what is so wonderful about ecf. I didn't have any suggestions to help you but I knew someone would. :) Good luck to you and happy vaping.

Ah yes, but I have sausage fingers and it looks fiddly as hell, especially the dual coil Protank 3 heads. Can a single coil be inserted into a PT3 head?

Actually I've just watched a Youtube video showing a micro-coil rebuild on a Protank (I think it was a 3) which looked pretty straightforward. I'll give it a go once my current head dies. :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
just a bit cheaper than the £8 for 10ml I was paying when I first started vaping! :)

Noooooo! Poor you. That is terrible.

I have used Bargain Vapour. Good vendor and helpful 'phone line too! :)

Mr e-cig do Hangsen for £1.50 (10ml) so unless you want a 100ml special (from BV) just go there.

I am actually making my own RY4s now. Inawera Tino d'Milano and Flavourart RY4 Nutzilla. just over 50p a bottle. :)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Actually I've just watched a Youtube video showing a micro-coil rebuild on a Protank (I think it was a 3) which looked pretty straightforward. I'll give it a go once my current head dies. :)

Sure, it can be done. Just got to plug the extra space in the atomiser casing.

I stick with mini PT1 + 2 and PT2 just because of the easy builds. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread