RDA New RDA recommendations, Price is not a factor..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I have a derringer and I don't want a velocity. And to anyone who says you "can't run it in single coil mode," you're wrong. RUN A SINGLE COIL BETWEEN THE POSTS. DONE.
Bottom airflow is NOT a problem for me, the Kennedy 24mm and Pugio are both bottom airflow and I know how to not over drip. Right now I'm either going to go top or bottom airflow. I may just pick up a Sapor for kicks because a local B&M is selling them for $30. But that still won't solve my problems on this list.
Out of curiousity, are there any low profile drippers with top airflow? Like true top airflow, not something like the hastur where it has an inner sleeve that directs the side airflow upwards. That is something I would like.
My coils primarily consist of fused Claptons and I'm running dual 3 strand fused alien Claptons in my hobo v3.1. So post hole size is important.
One last note: NO more fxckin velocity recommendations. I've seen it, it's not what I want. Something with a simple top structural design where I can just pop the top off to redrip as I'm not a fan of pulling off the whole sleeve to drip.
So then. Something small, top or bottom airflow, large post holes (if there are posts), oh and not a velocity lol.
It also depends on what kind of coils you like to build. I like the extra post hole size because my preference is Clapton coils. If you're not that way and just are looking for flavor the Aeolus v2 has a lot of it. Personally pure flavor either the Aeolus is what I use with nichrome/kanthal build and the Derringer going TC.
Tell me something: what's the deal with the gap when you thread the chimney/barrel onto the deck? Pics would be nice

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Another side note. I've been looking into three more:
REMatty (short, top airflow, only concern is the negative post slots milled into the deck but they may not be a big deal.
Vector - same kinda set up as the Aeolus v2 Pro, except no reverse threaded barrel - is the drip tip it comes with the only one compatible? Also if I got this, I could make an 18350 mod out of the box (clear ABS plastic, magnetic door, yes I'm serious)
Mako Shorty - looks pretty beast for a low profile atty, comes with 510 cap & derlin chuff cap

Deap

Verified Member
Jul 12, 2015
Tell me something: what's the deal with the gap when you thread the chimney/barrel onto the deck? Pics would be nice

Lending to a buddy right now so I can experiment with his 13 heavens 9 hells (which really is the exact same thing as the twisted messes), but I'll get pics for you once I get it back if you still want. As for the gap between the chimney with the airholes and the deck, it can be a little snug trying to go for fused Clapton's for me and tend to get a bit of a warmer vape. Now for nickle coils or anything micro it's awesome. I feel like having the extra space between your coils and the top deck/side of the barrel really opens the airflow and intesifies the amazing flavor. I had only had it for like two weeks and not going to lie I only really built nickel on it, but it kills it on flavor for nickel. I do feel the top airflow isn't enough to support a lot of lower resistance kanthal builds I go for.

I hope that answered your question. That's just my opinion on it, overall I love the flavor.

Also sorry for pushing the Velocity lol. I've been in love with it so everything else has kind of fallen to the wayside.

bkim1

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Another side note. I've been looking into three more:
REMatty (short, top airflow, only concern is the negative post slots milled into the deck but they may not be a big deal.
Vector - same kinda set up as the Aeolus v2 Pro, except no reverse threaded barrel - is the drip tip it comes with the only one compatible? Also if I got this, I could make an 18350 mod out of the box (clear ABS plastic, magnetic door, yes I'm serious)
Mako Shorty - looks pretty beast for a low profile atty, comes with 510 cap & derlin chuff cap

Only one I can comment on out of those 3 is the Vector. Yeah the only drip tip compatible is the one included (although there are people who made a delrin adapter for 510 drip tips and apparently the manufacturer is coming out with their own adapter as well). The Vector is pretty nice if you like flavor and want a top airflow atty. Only problem I have is that sometimes you can block the air holes with your mouth when taking a hit. Other than that it's a great rda and you can find it for pretty cheap either on the Classifieds or online.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Only one I can comment on out of those 3 is the Vector. Yeah the only drip tip compatible is the one included (although there are people who made a delrin adapter for 510 drip tips and apparently the manufacturer is coming out with their own adapter as well). The Vector is pretty nice if you like flavor and want a top airflow atty. Only problem I have is that sometimes you can block the air holes with your mouth when taking a hit. Other than that it's a great rda and you can find it for pretty cheap either on the Classifieds or online.
I'm gonna sit on decision for a couple months, really mull it over. I picked up a Sapor for $29.99 and it's great for the price

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I'm just gonna wait for now. I don't want a stumpy because I already have a hobo v3.1, as stated earlier in the thread. I've tried the Revolt before, didn't really like it, if I were to buy an atty with that design I'd get the royal Hunter. I'm looking at the phenotype-l, and while the airflow is massive, Anarchist x Aria Built obviously meant for this thing to take any type of wire and chuck huge clouds, however I like the tall post design. I'm just going to find a machinist or machine shop & go to Makerbot 3D printing in SoHo, NYC, to design my own atty. no more settling, time to make exactly what I want.

kformeck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2015
I've been following the releases of the Pi2, and they come out with a new run every couple weeks. And with the velocity, I don't want to buy an authentic. It's too complicated with the airflow, the key to all of my choices is simplicity & convenience.

Bottom airflow just means more careful wicking and not over dripping. It's simple enough for me. But the deck system on it is super convenient in terms that you can literally just drop your coils into the pos & neg slots, screw them in & cut the leads. So I'm not concerned with myself leaking.
Nobody has anything to say about the Aeolus v2 or Kennedy 24mm?

I looooove my aeolus v2, even more than my v1. The flavor is a tad better too; I think it's because it's 3 mm shorter and you can restrict the airflow even more than the original (and I can fit some ridiculous clapton builds in here). I'm not a big fan of the reverse threading but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me (and the when bottom o ring is lubed up with juice it works just fine). It also sits perfectly flush on my SMPL too.

The thing that I can't over is the airflow, it has the best draw I've ever had on any atty to date. The flavor is phenomenal, very crisp, clean and full.

I don't have a Kennedy 24 but I have the original (non competition, only two air holes instead of four). It's okay, far from my favorite but the flavor was a bit better than expected.

Out of the two, I would go with the aeolus v2; it's better in almost every way.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I looooove my aeolus v2, even more than my v1. The flavor is a tad better too; I think it's because it's 3 mm shorter and you can restrict the airflow even more than the original (and I can fit some ridiculous clapton builds in here). I'm not a big fan of the reverse threading but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me (and the when bottom o ring is lubed up with juice it works just fine). It also sits perfectly flush on my SMPL too.

The thing that I can't over is the airflow, it has the best draw I've ever had on any atty to date. The flavor is phenomenal, very crisp, clean and full.

I don't have a Kennedy 24 but I have the original (non competition, only two air holes instead of four). It's okay, far from my favorite but the flavor was a bit better than expected.

Out of the two, I would go with the aeolus v2; it's better in almost every way.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk
Well, the Kennedy 24 comes with essentially a gremlin slam cap & reduces the chamber on it making it a completely different stock design than the original. As for your Aeolus, how much clearance can you fit inside the atty? & the whole double deck part - what's that about...I mean I've heard complaints about the atty not sitting flush on mods, but anything will sit flush on a SMPL with the way the button is set up. How far does the chimney screw down on to the deck? Does it just cover the gold plated top half, or was it meant to thread down and cover the SS bottom half as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread