Not open for further replies.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
OK, let me put it this way. I dont see testing cigs in the cards. If I test 3 different juice ratios at 5 different temps to obtain a very minimal curve, that is close to 100 hours of testing. I am simply not volunteering for anything more right now.
Sorry Mike, I meant your "back of the napkin" estimation method would be useful to extrapolate a comparison with the figures presented in the previous post for cigarettes, not any additional tests on your part. With the time each mix/temp test takes, I understand your plate is much more than full!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Also see 33:33 in above video. This is what I have been focusing on with this whole thread!
I didn't pause it, so I can't give an exact time, but did you also notice where John said some of the other studies are flawed because they heated the stuff for half an hour and in a real atty, it only gets heated for a second or so?

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I didn't pause it, so I can't give an exact time, but did you also notice where John said some of the other studies are flawed because they heated the stuff for half an hour and in a real atty, it only gets heated for a second or so?
Meanwhile I'm aware of six people that were new or considering vapers, all of whom went back to smoking because that study got so much attention on social media.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
25:30 mark, this just pisses me off.....

That's not exactly true, Mike. Dr. Farsalinos, and Dr. Hajek have performed and published a fair amount of study results.

It really depends on one's perspective. From the top-down (tobacco being at the top), I think we've seen a lot of clear & positive results. As you've said many times, smokers-to-vapers are winning big (unarguable, as even Stanton Glantz admits).

From a bottom-up perspective ("Nothing" being the bottom), I'd agree with you (little-to-no published results). I understand that's your path, and I get it (to a certain extent). Simply from my perspective though, and as I've said many times, if that was my own personal target, I'd quit. The reality is that nothing will equal "Nothing", and we already know that.

The only remaining question that people could possibly have is where vaping sits on an inline scale. If zero is Nothing, and 10 is Tobacco, current opinion is that vape sits somewhere in the area of .5 (one-half). I'm thinking that it sits somewhere between .1 (one-tenth) and 3, based on nothing but studies I've read, combined with my body's reaction through six years of doing this thing we do. I'm OK with that, while I understand that others are not.

There's also some correlation to what we're seeing with coffee now, where they've raised concerns about the (relatively tiny) amount of acrylamide that can exist. They're also throwing our old friend diacetyl into the mix, by the way, which is cracking me up all over again.

On both issues my feeling is the same. If it's perfection we seek, it is already in our power to grasp. Stop doing the thing that they/we believe contains the elements of harm/danger/etc..

My decision was made years ago. I will continue to vape, and I will continue to drink coffee.

Even if I could live forever, I highly doubt that would be a personal goal. Based on my experiences to date, the thought of aging endlessly is not an attractive one (to me). ;)

Good gawd, somebody shut me up. :facepalm:

Happy Saturday, all.

~ B. Labbermouth

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Meanwhile I'm aware of six people that were new or considering vapers, all of whom went back to smoking because that study got so much attention on social media.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Then they should have actually read the material. I know that I myself put it in perspective at least 97 times.

IMHO they either didn't read the material, or they were just looking for an excuse.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Then they should have actually read the material. I know that I myself put it in perspective at least 97 times.

IMHO they either didn't read the material, or they were just looking for an excuse.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Materials? LMAO!

Most people don't read past the headlines, Mike. As KD says, "It's a headline news world."

We prepare videos ("micro learning units) for LMS applications. None can be longer than four minutes (FOUR FLIPPIN' MINUTES!), which blows away the latest advertising trend we're seeing now. Micro Marketing, six seconds per bit.

Someone sees a headline on their mobile device that says, "Vaping Study Shows It Releases More Chemicals Than Smoking", and they stop right there. That's reality, and it's also human nature. Most won't even read the article, whether we like it or not.

Six seconds per bit. Yuh huh. That's what you've got to make your case, educating people related to the mobile headline they likely swiped but remembered.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Materials? LMAO!

Most people don't read past the headlines, Mike. As KD says, "It's a headline news world."

We prepare videos ("micro learning units) for LMS applications. None can be longer than four minutes (FOUR FLIPPIN' MINUTES!), which blows away the latest advertising trend we're seeing now. Micro Marketing, six seconds per bit.

Someone sees a headline on their mobile device that says, "Vaping Study Shows It Releases More Chemicals Than Smoking", and they stop right there. That's reality, and it's also human nature. Most won't even read the article, whether we like it or not.

Six seconds per bit. Yuh huh. That's what you've got to make your case, educating people related to the mobile headline they likely swiped but remembered.
That's scary.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
It's scary, but it's reality. What really gets me is when I see something I want to read, click on it, and it's a video loaded with crapola and opinion that I don't want to see/hear/read. It's become a visual world where video reigns supreme, no wonder people can't read or write any more.

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Meanwhile, posting THIS to Facebook will get not a single view or comment.

E-cig study shows smoking damages DNA; Vaping is 96 percent less harmful

If it's not bad news, nobody's interested. I used to pick a single WSJ article every day. The only two people who'd ever comment were Kat and another of my very best friends.

Pass along a storm story though, and 267 comments will follow within 30 seconds. Sad but true (thank you, Metallica).

DPLongo22

"Vert De Ferk"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
It's scary, but it's reality. What really gets me is when I see something I want to read, click on it, and it's a video loaded with crapola and opinion that I don't want to see/hear/read. It's become a visual world where video reigns supreme, no wonder people can't read or write any more.

Truth :thumb:.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I do promise you (Mike) that the next time a smoker says "Ugh, vape, bad" (etc.), I'll be sure to ask him/her whether or not they read the material. :facepalm:

(I'm pretty sure the word "READ" will have them scurrying away in a state of panic.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread