New to Claptons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Looking for some guidance/info on switching from Kanthal to Clapton single coils. I just ordered some rolls of Clapton wire for better flavor. I am not sure if a Clapton coil will give that, it seems people are just switching without really saying why.

So, the "why" to switch is a question.

Okay, so I switch, do I use the same number of wraps that I do with Kanthal? All opf this is non-TC. I just want to do .9 ohm single Kanthal/Clapton coils. I went to Steam Engine and it does not offer Clapton as a variable in determining ohms.

So, how do Clapton coils compare to Single when it comes to ohms? More wraps...less?

Should I go with larger ID for flavor, or tighter?

Thanks

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
What type of Clapton wire did you order... Meaning what gauge is the core wire and what gauge is the wrapped wire. The reason a Clapton has a different flavor profile is due to surface area... You are greatly increasing the surface area of the wire with the wrapping of a thinner wire over a core but you are also giving two layers of juice trapping within the wire. Instead of a round wire that juice just touches and vaporizes your are adding ridges and crevices that can trap your juice and give you a more fulfilling flavor.

Generally the resistance of a Clapton will be on par with the core wire with a little room for deviation.

Nuchuga

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
Orange County, CA
Clapton coils or "clapton wire" will just about always give you better flavor. Like someone said above, the guage of the wire will determine how much better the flavor will be! My favorite flavor build for daily use is a 24x28 guage dual clapton on an Aeolus. Killer build, ohms out to around 0.35 and I run it at 70ish watts!

Bn0_Vapes

Feb 20, 2016
Looking for some guidance/info on switching from Kanthal to Clapton single coils. I just ordered some rolls of Clapton wire for better flavor. I am not sure if a Clapton coil will give that, it seems people are just switching without really saying why.

So, the "why" to switch is a question.

Okay, so I switch, do I use the same number of wraps that I do with Kanthal? All opf this is non-TC. I just want to do .9 ohm single Kanthal/Clapton coils. I went to Steam Engine and it does not offer Clapton as a variable in determining ohms.

So, how do Clapton coils compare to Single when it comes to ohms? More wraps...less?

Should I go with larger ID for flavor, or tighter?

Thanks
You need any help with any type of coil build throw me a text, 570-994-9677 I'll walk you through whatever you need help with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread