New to Vaping....just Ordered Reo Grand and RM2, Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've gotten really accustomed to .055" coils and 29 ga. It just felt off using the slightly wider 1.5mm mandrel.

I think I love the slightly warmer vape from the .055" 10 wrap micro better:)

How much difference does the 29 gauge wire make over the 28? Does it heat up (and cool off) appreciably faster? That's my only issue with the 28. It doesn't seem to be as big a factor on the RM2, but it drives me nuts in my other drippers.

And while I have you all here, I've been meaning to ask if anyone has tried using ceramic wick in a bf atty. Do they wick fast enough? Do they hold enough juice? I've been curious about them forever, but not curious enough to pull a genesis out of retirement for the experiment. Thoughts, anyone? (And pardon me, please, Hugga if I'm thread-jacking, here).

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I use xc-132 hollow ceramic it's my favorite wick for a coil I'm going to run for while, If I'm playing with different builds I'll run a hollow ekowool due to the cost of ceramic. I love how you can just rinse the whole RBA under water and then dry burn with ceramic in place, kind of steam cleans it.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
How much difference does the 29 gauge wire make over the 28? Does it heat up (and cool off) appreciably faster? That's my only issue with the 28. It doesn't seem to be as big a factor on the RM2, but it drives me nuts in my other drippers.

And while I have you all here, I've been meaning to ask if anyone has tried using ceramic wick in a bf atty. Do they wick fast enough? Do they hold enough juice? I've been curious about them forever, but not curious enough to pull a genesis out of retirement for the experiment. Thoughts, anyone? (And pardon me, please, Hugga if I'm thread-jacking, here).

To me the 29 is just perfect for the resistance and wrap count I prefer.

And yes I find that it heats up and coils down quicker than 28.

It s easier to work with than 30 and doesn't cause the terminal screws to come loose like 28 and lower.

I originally picked it up for my chalice cause I was having a difficult time getting the screws to work with 28 and I wound up just really liking it in all my RBAs :)

I tried Nextel and actually really liked it for a couple of days (such that I bought a few feet of it) but it just felt, can I say, "wrong" vaping stuff that requires special treatment to remove processing chemicals from it? I wasn't feeling too comfortable with that. I also noticed like a very fine dust on my fingertips when I worked with it.

Especially since wicking with cotton was easier for my build style (build then insert wick).

Also, In my case it also produced what I would describe as a "wetter" vape. Just not the same as cotton. :)

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I'm not dissatisfied with the way cotton vapes; just interested in how one thing might differ from another. If you're concerned about how the XC is treated before it's sold, you might check out this place:

RBA Supplies

At that price, it would have wrap its own coil and install itself in all my attys - and maybe vacuum the living room - before I would consider it, but there it is :)

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I'm not dissatisfied with the way cotton vapes; just interested in how one thing might differ from another. If you're concerned about how the XC is treated before it's sold, you might check out this place:

RBA Supplies

At that price, it would have wrap its own coil and install itself in all my attys - and maybe vacuum the living room - before I would consider it, but there it is :)
That's the thicker stuff XC-116, I like the XC-132 I've only found it at one location for $7 a ft.

that works out to less than :2c: a day.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

RBA Supplies

Price is definitely not my concern cause you only need like 3/8" for each wick that could last as long as the coil itself.

My concern is vaping something that requires heat treatment to remove the sizing from it. I can't do it myself and I'm certainly not trusting that any vape shops gonna do it correctly - regardless of what they claim. That and even the so called kiln treated stuff I've bought left some very fine white crystally dust on my fingertips told me that it wasn't for me. I quit smoking because I wanted to reduce potentially toxic substances I was inhaling :)

There is another product you might wanna investigate called eKowool - they even cater to vapers.

It ain't for me cause like Nextel, it's too much work for me to thread thru a prebuilt coil :)

Harleyndn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Wisconsin
To me the 29 is just perfect for the resistance and wrap count I prefer.

And yes I find that it heats up and coils down quicker than 28.

It s easier to work with than 30 and doesn't cause the terminal screws to come loose like 28 and lower.

I originally picked it up for my chalice cause I was having a difficult time getting the screws to work with 28 and I wound up just really liking it in all my RBAs :)

I tried Nextel and actually really liked it for a couple of days (such that I bought a few feet of it) but it just felt, can I say, "wrong" vaping stuff that requires special treatment to remove processing chemicals from it? I wasn't feeling too comfortable with that. I also noticed like a very fine dust on my fingertips when I worked with it.

Especially since wicking with cotton was easier for my build style (build then insert wick).

Also, In my case it also produced what I would describe as a "wetter" vape. Just not the same as cotton. :)

Do you have a source for 29?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread