Nicotine absorbtion from vaping research

Status
Not open for further replies.

paladinx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2008
mars
I def believe there is something more to cigarettes. I can have snus in my mouth all day and ill actually feel cigarette withdrawals. Ill get in a bad mood, lethargic etc. Then soon as i have a cig i feel much better. Its almost like mental medication for me at this point. just something about a cigarette cant be matched. but thats life, anything that u enjoy or feels good or taste good kills you.

Cancer

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
New Jersey
When the FDA tells Phillip Morris to get rid of ALL their additives..we will find out it was the catalysts they added to the nicotine uptake"MORE" than the nicotine absorption itself. The buprion comment was "SPOT ON" in regards to its use in concert with NRT's. Once i knew about the scientific ways they "TWEAKED" cigarettes, i got a queasy felling about why i liked smoking SO much. It really boggles my mind as to how this industry was let to "RUN AMOK" with the health of so many of our loved ones. I love all you guys, your spirit and energy have inspired my quitting SOOO MUCH. TBOB and Kate especially..Your leadership on this forum is unparalleled in any forum i have come across:D

dave8944

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2009
I was a serious 2-pack a day smoker for over 25 years and had no intention of quitting, but I had a fairly easy time cutting it down to just a couple each day when I started vaping. I prefer vaping now and I find I want to vape even after smoking an analog. However, I think a lot of the effect I get is due to handling the liquid. Yes, I'm aware it can be toxic, but maybe that's why I and others can avoid smoking even though this study showed vaping alone doesn't get as much nicotine in your system as smoking. I've only gotten one head rush from an analog, so my nicotine levels must still be pretty high most of the time. Absoring the liquid is almost unavoidable since there is so much refilling and fooling with components. It has turned me into what my grandfather would have unfavorably consider a fiddling pipe smoker.

Tom09

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
Germany
Atreides, in case you might still be following this thread, you certainly introduced a very different view on the significance of blood nicotine levels. As far as I understand, you suggested that blood nicotine levels are low, not because ecig nicotine delivery is less effective, but because binding of ecig-derived nicotine to brain receptors is exceptionally highly effective. Is there any indication that nicotine, once absorbed in blood, would be more preferred from brain receptors if nicotine is derived from pharmaceutical products, compared to nicotine from analog cigarettes? Does the Kd change depending on the delivery system? What exactly did you reference to when you gathered “from the (very sparse, we really need more peer-reviewed data from scientists unconnected with the e-cig industry) data, almost all of the nicotine absorbed through vaping interacts with receptor, as opposed to nicotine levels remaining high in the blood, as with smoking.“?

hgielm1

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Maryland, U.S.A.
Does anyone know where Next Safety stands with the development of their product for nicotine? It sounds like it may be good if it can devise a product that gets absorbed in adequate nicotine amounts in the lung, and therefore goes rapidly to the brain. I think that the inability of current ecigs to do this is what some folks find "missing" from current ecigs. As I understand it, nicotine from ecigs is NOT absorbed in the lungs, does NOT go rapidly to the brain, and therfore does not give the same "feel/sensation" as a tobacco cigarette. I don't think enough research has been done to show exactly how, how much, etc. of the ecig's nicotine is absorbed - and how much of it actually ever makes it to the brain. It IS good that so many of us are able to use the ecigs anyway, but I'd like to see more data. Does Next Safety have ongoing research which can be made public? Thanks.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
It seems to depend on the individual's chemistry too. I can get a dizzy feeling in the AM from vaporing the e-cigarette, it just comes on slower than with an analogue and isn't as pronounced. But I also only smoked about 10 traditional cigarettes a day before switching. I find vaporing to be just as satisfying as smoking, just different.

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
Does anyone know where Next Safety stands with the development of their product for nicotine? It sounds like it may be good if it can devise a product that gets absorbed in adequate nicotine amounts in the lung, and therefore goes rapidly to the brain. I think that the inability of current ecigs to do this is what some folks find "missing" from current ecigs. As I understand it, nicotine from ecigs is NOT absorbed in the lungs, does NOT go rapidly to the brain, and therfore does not give the same "feel/sensation" as a tobacco cigarette. I don't think enough research has been done to show exactly how, how much, etc. of the ecig's nicotine is absorbed - and how much of it actually ever makes it to the brain. It IS good that so many of us are able to use the ecigs anyway, but I'd like to see more data. Does Next Safety have ongoing research which can be made public? Thanks.
I personally would be a little leery or creating a instant buzz kinda device.
That would unleash a whole other world of troubles and personally its what got me hooked on cigs. I dont want to see people taking up this habit for fun.
Those of us who really smoked(a lot) having seen a buzz in years anyway. What I get now is more than I'm used to

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
It seems that 36mg eliquid is being discontinued because it's not thought to be safe to vape.

Now I'm confused, if it isn't potent as suggested by this research and placebo theorists then why is it not going to be sold?
Even though 36mg is higher than some people are comfortable with, many of us use it to mix to lower level solutions. I suspect that the change has more to do with negotiations that will allow nic-juice to be sold in the future. There's also the question of safe storage when 36mg is kept in homes with children and pets.

Moonlighter

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Arizona
Even though 36mg is higher than some people are comfortable with, many of us use it to mix to lower level solutions. I suspect that the change has more to do with negotiations that will allow nic-juice to be sold in the future. There's also the question of safe storage when 36mg is kept in homes with children and pets.

I've heard several people say they can vape 36mg. (too strong for me)
I use my 36mg to mix also and am really liking the fact that it goes farther.
Maybe they will have to put the stuff in child safe bottles. The prices would jump a lot just for the cost of the bottles. :nah:
Maybe they could offer safety caps to customers with kids?
I'm more concerned that Uncle Fred will figure out a way to tax it per mg strength....

Stric9

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2009
Fort Mill, SC
Geez.. that freaking guy (Atreides Ghola) gave the most plausible explanation I've read since starting down this whole e-cig path!
I personally couldn't swallow the placebo effect (at least in my case). I smoked 1~1.5 packs a day for 29 years and have tried many times to quit without any luck whatsoever. I would even double up on the patch and smoke (when possible) during international commutes. The first e-cig I bought was the SE model and it wasn't even in the ball park as far as satisfying my nicotine requirements and even smoked on top of it. But I purchased some JC 24 mg and a 510 (that was the ticket for me). As I've stated on other threads, I do experience "the nic hit" from the e-cig, but my method of smoking was and is a little different than normal smokers. Most of my experience was before joining this forum or doing any research. Meaning I didn't read the SE was a crappy product or the JC 24 mg was good. My body told me.

I'm an extremely pessimistic type and am completely skeptical of any and everything new. So, it can't be placebo for me.... I fully expected this to be just another failed attempt to quit.

Again, thank you Atreides Ghola for providing a logical explanation to describe what I am fairly certain is what I am experiencing with this e-cig deal.

Respects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread