Ohms not reading correctly with Geekvape Fused Claptons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbkr

May 11, 2017
This is my first post here, be gentle. If I need to post elsewhere please let me know.

So, I got some Geekvape Fused Claptons. They look amazing. Went to put a set on the velocity deck for the Pharaoh. This is what they were reading. Ohmeter said .02 and it wouldn't even register on my alien (obviously) and stated ohms too low.

I have no idea why. I tried taking one out, and it read .14. These are rated .3 each, so I was assuming. 15ish for the dual setup. The screws were nice and snug, loosening/tightening them didn't help. The leads were clipped normally and the coils weren't touching any part of the base. I did not add or remove wraps, this is straight from the little box.

The third pic shows just one standard clapton reading just over 1 ohm. Threw the other in and sure enough, .511 and is working just fine. The issue is not with the deck or the base. I even threw the fused claptons on another deck for the pharoah, same result.

I am clueless. This is the first time I've dealt with any wire other than kanthal and I am totally puzzled. Any ideas?

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
Geek vape makes some of the worst coils in the industry with some of the worst Chinese wire you can get.
Sorry to be blunt but the coils don't look anything like the real thing.

No one uses huge stuff like 32g as a wrap. I use it as core wire.

At $5 a pop they are burning people left and right. You're always better off just paying one of us to build for you. At least that way you know the wire is good and the coils will be optimal for your goals.

Simple round wire is a better option than anything geek vape makes.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Reactions: poolman

Kbkr

May 11, 2017
32 is considered huge? Dang. I've used standard claptons with 26 core 32 wrap kanthal for the last year almost but I've wanted to try bigger coils. Honestly it's really not about the coils themselves, if they're crap then they're crap. I just wanted to know the reason why, and if it was something fixable. If not then I'll mark it down as a loss and move on lol not a big deal. Just figured there was something going on that I hadn't encountered before and wasn't sure about.

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
I honestly don't know why they'd read silly but if you've tried different attys you can really only come to one conclusion.

I've never had a coil read anything but what it's supposed to unless the atty was the cause.

But yes 32g fuse is gargantuan. A 26g clapton would probably double or triple in weight by wrapping it with 32g. The idea is to add surface area without drastically increasing the weight so the coil can still heat it's self.
32g is 0.25mm thick, 26g is 0.4mm thick so by wrapping 26g with 32g you've made the coil more than twice as thick and that thickness is dragging the whole thing down.
A simple 24g build would easily outperform a 26/32 clapton.
38g is the largest fuse wire I use and 36g is the largest I'd consider. It takes alot of tension to fuse 36g so I tend to avoid it.

Kbkr

May 11, 2017
That's very interesting. I haven't tried anything over 28 at this point, I imagine the 30+ gauges are incredibly thin and tough to get used to using, no? Practice makes perfect I imagine.

That probably somewhat explains why the best flavor I've got was from 24g single wire in a moonshot, even compared to the aforementioned 26/32 in the Pharaoh.

So if I may ask, for a 2 wire fused what would you recommend for the core and what for the wrap? I'm all for trying to make my own if the ones I've bought are going to poop out on me and not perform like they should.

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
It depends on your mod, atty and how much power you're willing to use.
I'm assuming you use a regulated mod so the resistance won't matter. You want the whole process to be under 2 seconds from hitting the button to letting it go again and you want the coil to cool fast so it doesn't gunk up unnecessarily.
When I used clapton I found that fused 26/38g worked really well for almost any mod. You can always add a wrap or remove one if need be.

Yes it takes a bit of practice to be able to build at my level but it doesn't take long to learn how to make simple aliens and staples.
If you just have fun with it the skills will just happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread