PG vs. VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
So please help me understand here... when I buy glycerin at CVS or Walgreens and it does not list a breakdown of ingredients, is it chemical or vegetable, PG or VG....

Hi Jan! Just make sure it's USP (United States Pharmacopeia) then you're safe...however, it may or may not be Vg, unless it specifically states that it's vegetable sourced.

Most USP glycerin is derived from animal fat, but as long as it's USP, it's safe and the difference is personal/philosophical (e.g., if you're a vegan, member of PETA, etc.).

I passed on CVS's USP Glycerin because no one there could tell me the source of the glycerol, and I wanted to stop by Whole Foods to look for a kosher USP vegetable glycerin. btw, CVS may also sell non-USP glycerin not meant for internal consumption, which may contain contaminants that could be dangerous to vape. May want to read the following older thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/79332-cvs-glycerin.html#post1178892

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up that just because glycerin is USP does not necessarily mean it's vg.

I would think it'd have to say "food grade". I get/got mine (100% Kosher USP food grade vegetable glycerin) at essentialdepot dot com for $28/gallon includes shipping. Not sure how that pricing would rate on sites catering to vapers?

Holy cow Mom, a GALLON??! You got enough to pass...can I have some please? lol

Does not have to be food grade, as USP is the purest form of glycerin, and is ingestible.

CalamityJan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
TX
Hi Jan! Just make sure it's USP (United States Pharmacopeia) then you're safe...however, it may or may not be Vg, unless it specifically states that it's vegetable sourced.

Most USP glycerin is derived from animal fat, but as long as it's USP, it's safe and the difference is personal/philosophical (e.g., if you're a vegan, member of PETA, etc.).

I passed on CVS's USP Glycerin because no one there could tell me the source of the glycerol, and I wanted to stop by Whole Foods to look for a kosher USP vegetable glycerin. btw, CVS may also sell non-USP glycerin not meant for internal consumption, which may contain contaminants that could be dangerous to vape. May want to read the following older thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/79332-cvs-glycerin.html#post1178892

Just wanted to give you all a heads-up that just because glycerin is USP does not necessarily mean it's vg.

Thanks Shaka, you have identified my confusion. What I bought is USP Glycerin, but is it vegetable? When a bottle says USP Glycerin is it PG or VG and where do you buy VG (any ECF vendors?) and know that is what you are getting?

Off to re-read the link you provided, thanks!

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Thanks Shaka, you have identified my confusion. What I bought is USP Glycerin, but is it vegetable? When a bottle says USP Glycerin is it PG or VG and where do you buy VG (any ECF vendors?) and know that is what you are getting?

Off to re-read the link you provided, thanks!

Hi Jan!

PG is not glycerin, but propylene glycol. As a general rule, all PG or a high PG ratio delivers more flavor, more th, but less vapor than all VG or high VG blend.

VG stands for VEGETABLE glycerin...and imo the acronym is loosely being used to describe any USP glycerin, vegetable or animal in origin. The main thing is that it's USP like you bought then it's ok for vaping.

Unless it's specifically labeled as vegetable, most likely it's animal fat based. As I said, the difference is purely personal/philosophical, or even religious if the source of the animal fat is unknown (e.g., pork). Btw, food grade VG must use USP VG.

If you need to know the source of the glycerin being sold by ecf suppliers or being used in their juices, it would be best to inquire with them. Again, as long as it's USP, it's not a safety issue, but strictly philosophical.

The above is just my opinion, of course. Hope it helps tho!

Bryce

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Spokane, WA
Great thread! Thanks to all who've shared info. The idea of potentially vaping on pork fat kinda creeps me out. Mostly I've only ever used PG liquid though because of availability. I don't however like the dry mouth feeling I get sometimes, but it's still FAR less than I got with an analog. Am I understanding that dry mouth lessens with VG?

I have ask one thing, I was under the impression that my PG was actually di-propylene glycol. I heard a rumor that poly-propylene glycol is in anti-freeze and started doing a little digging. Sadly I don't have a chemists understanding of what any of that means. Care to shed more light? :)

-Bryce

Shaka

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Honolulu, HI
I have ask one thing, I was under the impression that my PG was actually di-propylene glycol. I heard a rumor that poly-propylene glycol is in anti-freeze and started doing a little digging. Sadly I don't have a chemists understanding of what any of that means. Care to shed more light?

Hey Bryce!

First let me state that I too don't have a chemist's understanding, but I've never seen the "di" prefix with propylene glycol...only on ethylene glycol as diethylene glycol.

Yes, pg, or propylene glycol IS used in antifreezes but only in (and this is the huge important difference) "NON-TOXIC" and "SAFE" antifreezes. Ethylene glycol and its somewhat less toxic relative diethylene glycol are the bad guys used in regular automotive antifreezes that have been poisoning people...please do not confuse them. In fact propylene glycol is also used as a non-toxic antifreeze for winterizing drinking water systems.

I think it's very important that we all have a factual answer whenever we're confronted by someone with the "antifreeze" question. Perhaps one of the resident chemists may want to put out a uniform statement we all can use because this bs comes up all the time.

Anyways, hope that helps Bryce.

CalamityJan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
TX
Hi Jan!

VG stands for VEGETABLE glycerin...and imo the acronym is loosely being used to describe any USP glycerin, vegetable or animal in origin. The main thing is that it's USP like you bought then it's ok for vaping.

Unless it's specifically labeled as vegetable, most likely it's animal fat based. As I said, the difference is purely personal/philosophical, or even religious if the source of the animal fat is unknown (e.g., pork). Btw, food grade VG must use USP VG.
:thumbs: Ah Ha, the light bulb is lit! I'm not a vegan nor do I have any somatic reasons for prefering the vegetable origin, but at least now I have an understanding of the products offered. Thanks for your patience, Shaka, it makes much more sense now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread