Please advise on a ~$50 regulated AVP for next-step in rebuildables (RBAs, RDAs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djironic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Denver
I posted this in the AVP forum, but it's not getting a lot of love (lol), so I thought I'd try my luck over here. :)

I have a couple of iTaste vv v3s that I've been playing with for the past couple of months. I've been running primarily mini protank style tanks (single and dual coil) on them, and have a couple of little drippers for rebuilding practice/juice tasting. I'm definitely feeling better about doing build-your-own (I'm in the process of converting all my Kanger heads to microcoil/cotton), and am looking to do a lot more of that.

I love the iTastes, but, as I'm sure happens to everyone, I'm itching to "upgrade" in my quest for a more perfect vape, though my budget puts things like the DNAs out of reach.

I am looking for A) something that might offer better performance than the iTaste vv, and B) an AVP that gives me the power and flexibility to play around with various builds and ohms, before I start in with the inevitable upgrading to a mechanical (plus, having a built-in ohm meter will be useful when the mech mod comes into play). I am making my own juice, so running a dripper at various ohms is important.

Most people seem to recommend the MVP 2 as the best mid-priced mod, but, from everything I can tell, it's just a vv v3 with a larger battery. Since I already have a charger and batteries, the "all-in-one" aspect of an MVP 2 is less of a draw for me, and unless the vape experience is a big improvement over the vv v3, I pretty much know what to expect.

I'm leaning towards the ZMAX V5 for it's OLED screen, shorter extension length, and single button adjustments, but could be swayed by any great performance benefits found in the SVD or the MVP 2 (which *seems* like it wouldn't offer the same level of performance as the other two, but I don't know from experience). I believe the SVD has a better PWM chip, but I don't know if it's a noticable improvement over the 33.3hz found in the ZMAX.

The Vamo isn't telescoping, and seems to have more than it's share of QC issues, so I don't mind spending a bit more on an SVD, MVP 2, or a ZMAX. Or a Sigelei Legend, if the step up includes a performance boost as well as fancier bling.

Wish I could afford the Sigelei 20, but it's a bit out of my budget right now… :-(

So, primarily, I'm looking for an AVP that offers the most flexibility (different battery sizes, wide range of power, etc.) and quality for the least amount of money.

Or do I just skip the AVP, go straight for the inevitable mechanical, and throw in a kick for starting out? LOL

Any recommendations are most appreciated! :)

Kr3wsk8er

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2014
SB/LA 808-213
It has been my experience when I dove straight into mechanicals. It was not hard at all to pick up at all. You seem to already have the knowledge of how to build and ohm law under your belt. My vote is pick up a clone *if you are a fan of a certain brand and do not care that it is a replica*, an ohm reader, a good battery that can handle the builds and ohms you plan on, as well as a charger. As for a kick I personally have never used them, nor found them very useful but hey that is my 2 cents, and maybe someone else will shed some light on why to get one. The k-100 is a great cheap starter mod, or maybe a magneto. Or again you can go the clone route. Some people want a regulated apv, so if that its what you want by all means go for it. It comes down to your preference.

djironic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Denver
It has been my experience when I dove straight into mechanicals. It was not hard at all to pick up at all. You seem to already have the knowledge of how to build and ohm law under your belt. My vote is pick up a clone *if you are a fan of a certain brand and do not care that it is a replica*, an ohm reader, a good battery that can handle the builds and ohms you plan on, as well as a charger. As for a kick I personally have never used them, nor found them very useful but hey that is my 2 cents, and maybe someone else will shed some light on why to get one. The k-100 is a great cheap starter mod, or maybe a magneto. Or again you can go the clone route. Some people want a regulated apv, so if that its what you want by all means go for it. It comes down to your preference.

Presuming that I have good batteries (I have a pair of the Sony VTC4s and a pair of the Panny PFs, which I think are both sufficient for a mech mod - still need to buy a pair of 18350s and 18500s, too) and a good charger (I have a NiteCore i4), and I pay attention to the voltage level on the batteries so I don't drain them too low, is there any benefit available on an AVP over a mech?

I do like the idea of having the power boost of a regulated mod (more consistent performance over the life of the charge), but I'm sure there must be a down side to that as well, though I'm not sure in direct comparison. I would guess that the performance of a mech starts strong but diminishes much more quickly. Is that correct?

And I am lusting for a Stingray clone - I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one soon, but I thought maybe I should do the prerequsite APV step first.

Perhaps a mech with a kick (to make sure I don't make any stupid mistakes at the beginning) really would offer the most flexibility, range, and performance options. Though I may still need an APV for quick grab-n-gos. Sigh...

djironic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Denver
Never having used the vv3, I am afraid I cannot comment on that aspect. However, I do like the fact that my mvp2 can charge my phone when I am out

That is a cool option (the ZMAX V5 also has that option - part of why I'm considering it), but in my quest for the perfect vape, any feature that doesn't get me closer to my goal can be readily left behind, lol... :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I posted this in the AVP forum, but it's not getting a lot of love (lol), so I thought I'd try my luck over here. :)
I have a couple of iTaste vv v3s that I've been playing with for the past couple of months. I've been running primarily mini protank style tanks (single and dual coil) on them, and have a couple of little drippers for rebuilding practice/juice tasting. I'm definitely feeling better about doing build-your-own (I'm in the process of converting all my Kanger heads to microcoil/cotton), and am looking to do a lot more of that.
I love the iTastes, but, as I'm sure happens to everyone, I'm itching to "upgrade" in my quest for a more perfect vape, though my budget puts things like the DNAs out of reach.
I am looking for A) something that might offer better performance than the iTaste vv, and B) an AVP that gives me the power and flexibility to play around with various builds and ohms, before I start in with the inevitable upgrading to a mechanical (plus, having a built-in ohm meter will be useful when the mech mod comes into play). I am making my own juice, so running a dripper at various ohms is important.

Most people seem to recommend the MVP 2 as the best mid-priced mod, but, from everything I can tell, it's just a vv v3 with a larger battery. Since I already have a charger and batteries, the "all-in-one" aspect of an MVP 2 is less of a draw for me, and unless the vape experience is a big improvement over the vv v3, I pretty much know what to expect.
I'm leaning towards the ZMAX V5 for it's OLED screen, shorter extension length, and single button adjustments, but could be swayed by any great performance benefits found in the SVD or the MVP 2 (which *seems* like it wouldn't offer the same level of performance as the other two, but I don't know from experience). I believe the SVD has a better PWM chip, but I don't know if it's a noticable improvement over the 33.3hz found in the ZMAX.
The Vamo isn't telescoping, and seems to have more than it's share of QC issues, so I don't mind spending a bit more on an SVD, MVP 2, or a ZMAX. Or a Sigelei Legend, if the step up includes a performance boost as well as fancier bling.
Wish I could afford the Sigelei 20, but it's a bit out of my budget right now… :-(
So, primarily, I'm looking for an AVP that offers the most flexibility (different battery sizes, wide range of power, etc.) and quality for the least amount of money.
Or do I just skip the AVP, go straight for the inevitable mechanical, and throw in a kick for starting out? LOL

Any recommendations are most appreciated! :)

1: a mech mod is
(a) not an upgrade
(b) not inevitable, but use full as a backup in the same way that a bike is usefull as a backup for if your car isn't working.

2: since you already have a vv v3, I don't think there's any point getting an MVP; when your vv v3 stops holding much charge it might still be usefull in passthrough mode as an ohm checker.

3: you already have a charger and batteries? for 18650 lithium ion batteries?

4: I keep reading about quality control issues with SVD's

5: the vamo has a 3 button menu thing which I find convenient; it has a reputation for soft 510 threads which strip out; my own started giving center pin problems this week.

6: There's a Sigelei zmax and a Smok zmax. My sigelei zmax has a nice solid physical feel to it; I hate the single button menu though; I check ohms or battery voltage regularly with my vamo, but with the zmax it's just too much trouble.

7: Telescoping mod means you have more moving parts/wearandtear metal-to-metal contact issues. Perhaps that's why the nemesis design with multiple tubes of differing lengths is popular.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I have only 18650 batteries and I can give you my experience with my PV's but only after vaping on them for a couple months or less. I run everything on watts so I can't give you any information on the vv.

Sigelei 20W, use it most of the time at home for anything over .7 ohms. It's my go to for dripping but it is a single button which isn't a big deal to me. The tilting to change watts is a pain depending on where your air holes end up.

Sigelei V3 is nice and is fairly small even with a 18650 battery. Right now I am a big fam. I picked up the flat top for $40 and so far it's been real reliable. It's my traveling PV.

SVD, I like it but already sent one back for exchange. The adjustments stopped working. The new one has been solid but I only run my Russian and Kayfuns on it at 1.8 ohms. I think that juice got past the pin when I was using Kanger Mini Pro's.

K100, solid mech and it has been real reliable. Not pretty but it kicks like a horse with my 18650's. Big fan, it does it's job real well for the price and has been solid...... well for a tube with a battery in it :)

Nemesis clone - Hcigar is a decent mech but you get what you pay for and even with a ton of tweaking and adding magnets to the firing button it is still a PITA. I am using it right now with an omega on it and I like it, fits nicely in my hand but the button takes some getting used. Once you use it a while it's a good mech for the price.

Hope some of that helps.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
I have the SVD and VTR both have been solid performers. I have dropped the SVD many times from chest heights, and its still going strong. I was a 2.5-3 pack a day smoker so I use it quite often, I get a good 2 days vaping off it. The VTR is also a great unit but a bit heavy for most peoples taste. I use it but I primarily stick to the SVD. I'm running a 35A IMR 18650 at 2500mAh for a higher vaping exp I have ran 2 18350 in it to 6volts, but I find it a little overwhelming at that voltage for me. I keep it at 4.5 volts and 12watts for most of my vaping. I had considered the MVP but what when the battery dies? you have to toss it. both units work down to .8 ohms the SVD down to .7 atleast on mine confirmed on my fluke meter

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Like Epic I've dropped my SVD on many occasions while working and it's still going strong , I'm not sure what the amp limit is on the MVP but the amp limit on the SVD and VTR is 5 amps and I have run a .8 ohm coil easily on it don't know how much lower it will fire but I'm much more concerned with flavor over cloud chasing but it's nice to have the flexibility .

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
If you're going to get into rebuildables then I would highly suggest going with a mech mod and a Kick module.

The Kick module will give you VW ability just like a VV/VW mod would. A Smoktech Kick clone will go up to 12 watts and will let you go as far down as a 1 ohm coil. It will also give you a layer of protection while you learn what you're going. And then, if you feel the desire to subohm at some point you can simply remove the Kick module and run the mech mod unregulated. If you buy a VV/VW mod now you'll have to buy another mech mod later if you want to do the same thing.

I run a Nemesis with a Kick2 as my main ecig. I can regulate the vape at up to 15 watts and run as low as a .5 ohm coil build using the Kick 2. And if I want to get silly I can remove it and run crazy low subohm builds to show off. It's every bit as reliable as any VV/VW mod I've ever used, and more versatile than any.

My other suggestion would be to wait a little longer and save up a little more money and get a DNA20/DNA30 clone. That will give you regulated vaping up to 30 watts and be able to handle most subohm builds.

djironic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Denver
1: a mech mod is
(a) not an upgrade
(b) not inevitable, but use full as a backup in the same way that a bike is usefull as a backup for if your car isn't working.

My impression is that most enthusiast vapers looking for the ultimate vape have followed some version of the cigalike->eGo->AVP->Mech Mod trajectory, so I figured they must know something I don't. ;-) And I've never heard anyone refer to a Mech Mod as a backup to an AVP. But my experience with vapers IRL is extremely limited, so I can't at all dispute this, lol...

2: since you already have a vv v3, I don't think there's any point getting an MVP; when your vv v3 stops holding much charge it might still be usefull in passthrough mode as an ohm checker.

That's what I figured. I don't see anything in the specs to differentiate the vv v3 and the MVP except for battery life.

3: you already have a charger and batteries? for 18650 lithium ion batteries?

NiteCore Charger i4, one pair Sony VTC4s, and one pair Panny PFs. Would still need to pick up some 18350s...

4: I keep reading about quality control issues with SVD's

To be honest, I keep reading about quality control issues with anything not Provari.

6: There's a Sigelei zmax and a Smok zmax. My sigelei zmax has a nice solid physical feel to it; I hate the single button menu though; I check ohms or battery voltage regularly with my vamo, but with the zmax it's just too much trouble.

Not at all interested in the Smok (V5 SS flat top is my goal), and not put off by the one button operation (like the cleanliness, and also, that's why I'm looking at the V5 - I believe it always displays the battery voltage without needing the menu).

7: Telescoping mod means you have more moving parts/wearandtear metal-to-metal contact issues. Perhaps that's why the nemesis design with multiple tubes of differing lengths is popular.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. OTOH, I probably won't be changing battery sizes all *that* often, so it might be moot.

Thanks for the advice!

Mvp 2.0 with a single coil .9 ohm rda. Battery last 2 days and only takes 4 to 5 hours to charge. I have mech mods as well but my mvp is my everyday, everywhere I go fail safe. It is more restricted for "cloud chasing" but is a great mod for regular all day use. 3.5 amp limit on mvp .9 ohms pretty much will max it out.

Last edited:

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
Might be adding my 2cent's late but I would also be on the mvp2 ban wagon. I'm normally a mech mod lover but have been working doubles and wanted to not have to change a battery and carry extra's to work. I never recommend people just diving into to rba's and mech mod combo's with out a good understanding of ohm's law and battery safety.

With the mvp2(in your price range) you will get a long lasting battery and the ability to still build some awesome coil setups. Most APV wont fire below 1.2ohm's with the exception being the mvp2 and provari. Currently rocking a .9ohm trident build on mine and it hits wonderful. Past week all my mech's have just been sitting aside and the mvp2 has been my go too. Next I will be getting a hana mod or mamu mod.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
I've been vaping a year now, well almost anyways. And yes, in my journey to find "Ultimate Vape Satisfaction" I started with cig-a-likes>ego and pt> then found the ecf and discovered what vaping was all about, so bought a Provari then rba's> DIY juice> mech mods> more rba's & mech mods> dna30> sold the Provari> more rba's> more high amp regulated.

Your journey seems similar to mine. When I first went mech, I did get the kick 2 as a safety measure, provides great vape at 15 watts and all the protection. A great way to start mechs imo. Since having the futura 30, am loving regulated 30 watt vape. Personally wouldn't bother with the MVP, great beginner/intermediate device, but only 11 watts is very limiting.

Your VTC4's would be great for a mech, pannies, not so great. I use 30 amp continuous batteries or higher. Much more useable power, and much safer. If I was to buy a clone mech it would probably be the Stingray. Have an authentic S.Ray copper black, and love it. Do have a nemi clone, which was my first, and kickable in 18650 mod, and is a great choice too. 18350 bats are not really good for mechs, not enough amp limits, so can't build very low. 18650's are the better choice, and there are some acceptable 18490's available.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Vape long and Prosper!!!

djironic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
Denver
Personally wouldn't bother with the MVP, great beginner/intermediate device, but only 11 watts is very limiting.

That was kind of my thinking. I'm sure the MVP 2 is awesome ('cause my little vv v3 is awesome), but it *seems* like it might not offer the same performance as an SVD or Zmax that has a 5 amp limit vs the 3.5 on the vv v3 and MVP2, and the 6 volt limit compared to 5 volt on the Innokins.

That said, I have been running my little dripper at 1.2 ohm on the vv v3 without seeming to stress it out too much, so...???

I do notice that I run my batteries much higher than most others vaping on the same gear. The standard seems to be 6.5-8 watts, while I'm usually up in the 8.5-10 watt range, even on 1.5 or 1.8 ohm coils. That's why I'm wondering if I should look into something that's more designed to quench my thirst for power, lol...

But mostly, I just want to find something I can build on to get that "perfect taste" - a mod that will allow me to experience as much as possible so I can find my own personal "sweet spot."

Maybe I will just have to bite the bullet, get an MVP2 for easy set-ups, a Zmax for expandability, and a Stingray for pushing the envelope! :)

And while I'm here, I might as well ask - it seems to me that mech mods deliver superior results at full charge, but go downhill fairly quickly as the battery drains, while a regulated mod won't be as impressive up front but will deliver consistent performance for much longer. Is that a fair assessment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread