Status
Not open for further replies.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
My husband, who resisted vaping (thought it looked funny, etc.) is now not laughing so much because I'm about to hit my one-month without a cig mark.

I smoked 21 years and he is about the same. We are 39 and almost 41, respectively.

He has turned a corner and takes a SMOKtech spinner to work and has a Tesla (thought it looked cool and it works, so no judging please LOL) for at home.

He is still smoking around a pack a day because while he is at work it is quicker and easier for him, or at least he thinks it is.

He is vaping Suicide Bunny 12mg nic.

What can I do to help him? He has tried 18 mg and it was too harsh for him.

Is there something I can buy or any tips I can give him to help him? I think he wants to quit more than he admits. I'm trying to be a good example for him without bullying him into vaping. I know he has to be ready. But when he texts me and says he "tried to vape, but it's a hectic day and not working," it breaks my heart because it tells me he DID try to vape before he needed a nic fix.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
Have you tried multiple flavors at a higher nic level? 12mg seems fairly low for transitioning from cigarettes.

He could try supplementing vaping with snus (different from 'chew' or 'dip' tobacco) which has decades of data on being much much safer than smoking.
Thanks for commenting :)

He is so stubborn; he got settled on Sucker Punch by Suicide Bunny because he likes that flavor. Maybe I should get an 18mg in that flavor and mix that with the 12mg while he isn't looking LOL (probably just joking; I don't want be accused of spiking his juice without his consent).

He tried 18mg in a couple other flavors but trust, they were way too strong for him.

I have no knowledge whatsoever of Snus. Not going to toss that idea out with the bathwater, but it would be a whole new can of worms to both of us.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As long as he has cigarettes available to him, he will continue to smoke them. Yes, smoking IS easier than vaping. Using that as his excuse will allow him to continue to use them when he decides "it's quicker & easier" for him.

It sounds to me that he isn't totally committed yet to stop smoking entirely. He isn't willing to completely break free of the ball & chain. If he DOES smoke, suggest that he only smoke half a cigarette and save the second half for the next craving. Have him vape before he smokes.

I don't buy the "its quicker & easier" excuse if he is truly committed to stop smoking. An ego in the pocket is at the ready to vape just as quick & easy as a pack and a lighter.

Last edited:

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
"Having him vape before he smokes" -- interesting. Ya know, that's what I did when I was still in the "smoke half a cig then put it out" phase in my early transition to vaping.

And my mother in law is practically a saint, but she buys his cigs for him. She used to buy mine, too. It was REALLY hard to ask her "no more free cigs, please." It seemed counter-intutitive. It was only when I was serious about quitting I was able to ask her to stop. That's when I knew I was serious.

Oh well, I won't beat this dead horse. When he is ready, he knows I'm here.

Thanks for commenting and have a great day. :)

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
I agree with Bad, smoking is easier so your hubby needs to change his mindset in order for this to work. Maybe try some WTA juices would help. I kind of did what Bad said, I smoked a bit when I first started vaping. It was difficult giving up that first cigarette in the mornings so I "allowed" myself that cigarette until one day, I noticed I wasn't smoking anymore. I still have a few packs of cigarettes in my drawer. And I carried cigarettes for the first three months after I started vaping. It was like a security blanket.

Some of us do go through a more extended transitional period between smoking and vaping. I did--more than 2 months, because I both wasn't quite ready to give it up and also because I was addicted to something else in the cigarettes and it took a while to break.

WTA liquids helped me out a lot, but others say they did nothing. It might be worth a shot to buy a small sample and see if it helps.

The time issue is an excuse, as you know. Vaping is, if anything, a little faster than smoking. :)

For now, I'd just be supportive. Clearly he's open to the idea, but hasn't quite made it over the hump yet. You can't decide that for him, you can just be there.

And even to this day, I have an unopened pack of cigs in my closet. It holds no interest for me.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
I agree with Bad, smoking is easier so your hubby needs to change his mindset in order for this to work. Maybe try some WTA juices would help. I kind of did what Bad said, I smoked a bit when I first started vaping. It was difficult giving up that first cigarette in the mornings so I "allowed" myself that cigarette until one day, I noticed I wasn't smoking anymore. I still have a few packs of cigarettes in my drawer. And I carried cigarettes for the first three months after I started vaping. It was like a security blanket.

From: Whole Tobacco Alkaloids (WTA e-Liquid) FAQ | VapeliciousVapelicious

How does it make you feel?

WTA often brings a calmness and relaxation compared to traditional e-liquid, even a “buzz” sometimes when first using it if you have been using nic-only juice for a while. This may fade away as you get used to it, the same as with first smoking cigarettes.

So...he would get more of an immediate physical effect from an WTA liquid? I will do more research. Thank you for this suggestion.

I too did not crucify myself for smoking during my transition. One morning, one night. It was only until my tongue was trained to dislike the "flavor" (cardboard "flavor") of cigs that I realized smoking was no longer worth the effort of lighting up instead of just vaping.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
Thank you for the support, Morpheus. I know all too well if I press this on him he will resist. He needed a third party (a MAN at a B&M, lol) to discuss options and effects of vaping before he even became willing to try a juice. (I make him sound like a real neanderthal, but he is not, I swear. Well, maybe a little. LOL) But, by the time we left the store, he was laden with a new vape device and some juice, at his own volition.

He's even telling a guy at work about how I've quit via vaping. The guy is using Blu or something like that. So my husband IS giving "testimony." He brought his vapers to work with him today. If he didn't believe in it, he wouldn't have done that.

Thank you for the support, Morpheus. I know all too well if I press this on him he will resist. He needed a third party (a MAN at a B&M, lol) to discuss options and effects of vaping before he even became willing to try a juice. (I make him sound like a real neanderthal, but he is not, I swear. Well, maybe a little. LOL) But, by the time we left the store, he was laden with a new vape device and some juice, at his own volition.

We're all a little gender-biased. I mean sure, it works for women, but I don't carry a purse. :)

Whereas my female cousin had to see my mother vaping before she'd do it. She thought it looked a little too masculine, like a big cigar.

Once she saw Mom's gear (identical to mine, actually, just not in black) she was OK with it.

My response was that I didn't care where the information came from as long as it was accurate and helpful.

He's even telling a guy at work about how I've quit via vaping. The guy is using Blu or something like that. So my husband IS giving "testimony." He brought his vapers to work with him today. If he didn't believe in it, he wouldn't have done that.

Exactly. He sounds like he's early-transitional at this point. Give it a month and see where he stands.

Even if he's only 20% vaping, that's still 20% harm reduction.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
From: Whole Tobacco Alkaloids (WTA e-Liquid) FAQ | VapeliciousVapelicious

So...he would get more of an immediate physical effect from an WTA liquid? I will do more research. Thank you for this suggestion.

I too did not crucify myself for smoking during my transition. One morning, one night. It was only until my tongue was trained to dislike the "flavor" (cardboard "flavor") of cigs that I realized smoking was no longer worth the effort of lighting up instead of just vaping.

When the nicotine enters through the lungs it's more immediate then through the mouth, regardless of WTA liquid. WTA simply adds some more of the chemical composition that makes up tobacco other then just the nicotine.

By harsh, I imagine you mean that kinda peppery taste to the nicotine, correct? It does change the flavor slightly. Your husband may do best by trying other flavors that are less effected by the nicotine level. In my experience, Suicide Bunny seems to be prone to flavor changes once you hit the 18 mg mark. Taste is subjective however, so I'm not sure that this is what is happening to your husband. I recommend that you take him to a local vape shop and have him try a bunch of other flavors at 18 mg. He may find a flavor that covers a bit more of that peppery effect of the nicotine.

When the nicotine enters through the lungs it's more immediate then through the mouth, regardless of WTA liquid. WTA simply adds some more of the chemical composition that makes up tobacco other then just the nicotine.

By harsh, I imagine you mean that kinda peppery taste to the nicotine, correct? It does change the flavor slightly. Your husband may do best by trying other flavors that are less effected by the nicotine level. In my experience, Suicide Bunny seems to be prone to flavor changes once you hit the 18 mg mark. Taste is subjective however, so I'm not sure that this is what is happening to your husband. I recommend that you take him to a local vape shop and have him try a bunch of other flavors at 18 mg. He may find a flavor that covers a bit more of that peppery effect of the nicotine.

I can't say I noticed too much difference in relative flavor between WTA and regular liquids.

What I did notice was that the incredibly annoying itch to have a cigarette reduced considerably to something I could ignore most of the time and resist easily the rest of the time.

Over the course of a few more months, I used the WTA less and less (I only used it when I had that itch) and eventually discontinued use of it. Nowadays I'm on regular e-liquids and never have an urge for a cigarette.

SazoidX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Tucson, Arizona
Try different things! Especially for the juice, if he's craving cigs or feeling like it's not doing it for him then his nicotine is too low - you can change the throat hit with different levels of PG / VG mix, and sometimes just having a different flavor helps (I have a few floral flavors that pack a punch - even at 6mg I can't use them for an all day vape or it just rips my throat up...)

Also, DON'T TAKE THE PACK OF CIGARETTES TO WORK! I speak from experience - even as a two year vaper, I've had times where I bought a pack for an occasion - If I smoke them all while I'm out, I'm fine going back to vaping the very next day; if I keep them, then I WILL smoke them. It's so much easier for me to get through those "Vaping isn't working" days if I have no choice but to vape - even though I may have thought it wasn't working, I find that I'm happier vaping than I would have been smoking.

cbrite

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I actually think that vaping is easier than smoking. Once you fill your tank, all you have to do is pick up the thing, push a button, and inhale. Especially true when smoking outside with wind blowing out the matches/lighter and even the cig if you aren't drawing on constantly. And even inside since cigs now go out 30 sec after the last puff and need to be re-lit.

I think your hubby doesn't really want to quit and those texts are guilt looking for absolution from you--oh honey, I am trying, but wow, it is so hard to vape and the cigs well, really fast and easy. I would tell him that if he wants to keep smoking that is his thing and he needs to do it without setting you up to "forgive him" (as in smoke if you want, but no texts, please).

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
This doesn't seem like a Lysistrata level offense. :)

Literally laughing out loud.

Nope, nothing quite that extreme.

And AMEN to everything in your other post about the "transition." Here's more evidence: We were watching "Fargo" (TV show) last night and he proudly said, "I made it through one hour and 20 minutes without a cigarette." If that doesn't sound like pride, then what does?

As for the "manly mods" (LOL, I can't even with that thread), I'm rather femme, but I'm not cowed by what others think about me, so if I like a big honking mod, I'm going to use it. Don't get me started on that. Not that I believe every single woman should feel the same. But I'm just greedy and want a solid vape. No "Lily" for me. ;)

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Maybe I should get an 18mg in that flavor and mix that with the 12mg while he isn't looking LOL (probably just joking; I don't want be accused of spiking his juice without his consent).

He tried 18mg in a couple other flavors but trust, they were way too strong for him.

You're getting some terrific input here so far. But...

Considering he tried 18mg (too strong) and 12mg isn't holding him over, try mixing his fav flav at a 50/50 ratio. That would give him 15mg and might help him.

Let him know your game plan. Hopefully he'll appreciate your effort. Worth a try!

Keep us posted and good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
Cool, ok, thank you.
By harsh, I imagine you mean that kinda peppery taste to the nicotine, correct?
Yes, in fact he said "cinnamon." Also it was too much of a throat-hit for him.
It does change the flavor slightly. Your husband may do best by trying other flavors that are less effected by the nicotine level. In my experience, Suicide Bunny seems to be prone to flavor changes once you hit the 18 mg mark. Taste is subjective however, so I'm not sure that this is what is happening to your husband. I recommend that you take him to a local vape shop and have him try a bunch of other flavors at 18 mg. He may find a flavor that covers a bit more of that peppery effect of the nicotine.
As soon I can drag him into the B&M, I will. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread