• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

porous ceramic wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmypc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
GTA, ON
I went to my local Pet Smart.

Just look for the closest Pet Smart (not Pet Value) and they should have it. (hope there is one close to you)

166797d1357515777t-next-big-thing-porous-ceramic-wicks-petsmart.jpg

EDIT: I got it but my butane torch is out of, uhh... butane. Have to torch it and see if it is the right one this weekend.

Last edited:

NickFit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
Newfoundland
I watched the video on cutting the porous ceramic... scary dust! IF it works out and a vendor sells premade ones, I may give it a try. But the dust that came off of it while cutting looked pretty bad(I'm thinking it is not good to inhale it or have lingering in your house) and who knows how it will break down in the tank yet.

Apparently the originator thinks it is much better than SS or fused quartz though, I'll wait it out and see what happens.

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
No one is selling them yet that i know of, there is a coop interest thread going on and is open to Canada as far as i know (you probably know that too). I hear that people are looking into it though. You don't want to try your hand at making your own?

You have stumped me ...

What do you mean by 'making my own'. Do you mean make my own coil and wick for the atty or do you mean make my own porous ceramic material?

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
I went to my local Pet Smart.

Just look for the closest Pet Smart (not Pet Value) and they should have it. (hope there is one close to you)

166797d1357515777t-next-big-thing-porous-ceramic-wicks-petsmart.jpg

EDIT: I got it but my butane torch is out of, uhh... butane. Have to torch it and see if it is the right one this weekend.

I read a reference to this product in the other thread, I guess I will give it a try. Thursday I will stop at Pet Smart and pick up a Top Fin.

albertbert

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2011
Canada

SloHand

Eh?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Kingston, Ontario
Hopefully its waaaaaaaaaaaay better than a wick and wire (or in this case,mesh and wire) because those new things he comes up with require to modify the holes in your atties and why in hell would I drill a Zen or a Hellfire :laugh:

Agreed Martin .... I modified a DUD, no big loss there :)

I found that I wasn't getting the flavor that I do with SS. I'm trying to find someone to swap some 28g for some 32g Kanthal to see if that will change the flavor output any.

Last edited:

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I've made a few and I have not had great luck with them. IMO the flavor is muted and they don't produce as much vapor as ss mesh. As far as cutting them goes, if you wet the material no dust happens. There is place taking pre-orders on them but it's $20 for 3 wicks. Bottom line is I tried it and don't see what the big deal is.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Dont be too eager to try it,I am still laughing at the pyrex tubes thread :)

I tried those quartz tubes and they break very easily just by sliding a piece of mesh inside,was hilarious

Anyways,I bet not everything porous will work,cant possibly wick fast enough

Nothing beats silica

Not worth a reply...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread