Prodigy at 3.7 volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I am real happy running my Prodigy at 3.7 volts. I can't wait for the extra switch so I can go back and forth easily. I hope they are back in stock soon. I liked 5 volts and will at times want to go back.

I got the Tenergy 2600 mAh 18650 batteries because these are protected and slightly stronger. I expect to get at least 2 days on one battery.

Sweet!

Kevin

WindyCityMike

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2009
OK
I run my prodigy with 18650 batteries and the non-resistored switch, and I love it. I like the vapor to be cooler, it just feels better on my throat that way compared to analogs, and it was something that helped me to quit analogs when i got my first e-cig over 4 months ago.

I also found it too easy to over heat the 901 atomizer running at 5V with the resistored switch, and the flavor got really burnt tasting really fast. But on the 801 and 510, i didn't have this problem nearly as much.

On the first charge up of my 2400 mAh 18650 batteries I got over a day out of them, and after a few recharge cycles I have been getting 2 days out of them before the protection circuit kicks in, I love not having to recharge as much.

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
I think I like the prodigy better at 3.7v (same Tenergy 18650's) especially with flavored liquids.

Had the same experience on cycling the batts. I'm running 2 - 2½ days on one batt. Carry a spare with me and never worry about outages.

I travel quite frequently and have a lot less to worry about without the chargers, batts, etc..

All in all one of my favorite machines. Hope the Protege meets or exceeds the example set by the bigger brother (or sister if you prefer).

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
I use a Prodigy at 5.0v with an 801 atomizer and am hoping someone would answer these questions:

Flavor
Compared to the 510 I'm getting less flavor from my juice and it's hard to distinguish between tobacco flavors. Did you get better flavor when you switched to a 3.7 batt? Was it a significant improvement?

Vapor Production
I expect you would need a longer draw to get a lungful of vapor when using 3.7v but how noticeable is the difference?

Thanks in advance!
Max

I use a Prodigy at 5.0v with an 801 atomizer and am hoping someone would answer these questions:

Flavor
Compared to the 510 I'm getting less flavor from my juice and it's hard to distinguish between tobacco flavors. Did you get better flavor when you switched to a 3.7 batt? Was it a significant improvement?

Vapor Production
I expect you would need a longer draw to get a lungful of vapor when using 3.7v but how noticeable is the difference?

Thanks in advance!
Max

Here's my observation with the 801 at 5v and at 3.7v. This may or may not answer all of your questions.

At 5v, a higher viscosity liquid is better because it keep the atty cooler and you don't use as much juice.(Just like a high performance engine and the oil used...) That same juice in the 3.7 requires less quantity of juice and maybe a bit longer to heat. That's with my 801's.

I don't notice a change in flavor as much as the "texture" if that makes sense. At the higher voltage, the vapor texture is harsher than at the lower voltage.

And for the record I'm using TW 18mg liquid at the moment especially when I'm vaping at 5v (which I've backed out of because I'm a spazz...but I'm getting the hang of it. ;) ). It's a bit thicker or seems to be than some of the other liquids.

Hope some of this helps.

I love it too. I have the same Tenergy 2600mAh batteries you guys have. Sometimes I like a really good strong hit, and I'll go to 5v for a few hours, but I am really liking the 18650 with the unresistored switch. Both of my 18650's charged to about 4.3 volts when full. I think this helps me, as I don't think I would like it as much if the voltage was actually lower than a 510.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA

Flavor

Vapor Production

Thanks in advance!
Max

To me it depends on the flavor and the specific voltage. I'm almost an exclusive RY4(taboo, Risqee, Dulcis, etc..) vaper(Although I've tried several other flavors at all voltages-from 3.7 to 6V). The RY4, to me, is very Voltage sensitive. At a strong 3.7V(I'm talking using a good 18650 2400mAh 3.7V battery in a good Mod), I think all the flavor subtleties shine through the best. At 5V(again with a good power source), you lose some of the finer subtleties but the overall flavor is enhanced and the vapor is warmer(but not harsh) which I like sometimes(not all the time). At 6V, in my opinion, almost all the flavor washes out and it becomes almost all heat and harshness(although, some people dig this, I do not). I would assume all flavors are different and all peoples opinions and tastes are different as well. I have never tried a specific "high voltage" liquid(which is available), however.

P.S. I vape exclusively a 510 atomizer.

Last edited:

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
markarich159,

No fair, you have more toys than I do. I am waiting for my chance to get the PS PT.

Another item I have noticed about the 18650 is how long it takes to charge them. I'm using a Trustfire TR-001 charger and it takes 9 hours to fully charge one of these guys.

I've had to adjust my liquid back to the mix I had been using for 3.7 volts. I hope Puresmoker will get caught up with the demand. I need a resister switch and a PT.

Kevin

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions!

I have to purchase more batteries soon for the Prodigy and need to decide between staying with 5.0v or going to 3.7v.

Leaning toward 3.4v since I find that simple flavors do best at higher voltage but I get bored with them quickly. For the past few days I've been using a 510 to vape TW Virginia flavored with honey, caramel, chocolate and peanut butter, and am not tired of it yet.

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
Guys
i have never paid much attention to 3.7 volts since I was vaping the JS.
I have always been vaping on 5~6 and 7 volts with the prodigy.

I was reading this thread and popped a pink 2600 in the tube.
I really have to take huge long puffs with this battery, and there is very minimal vapor with an 801.

I look into the atty without the mouthpiece...and i hardly see any vapor...
The sizzle is minimal..
The atty does not glow orange.
How do you guys vape at 3.7???

There has to be something i have not understood?

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Well, I assume you were running without the resister switch? I admit the vapor and throat hit are lower at 3.7. I have also noted that the juices are much different at the 2 voltages. I guess it's all a matter of taste. I get tired of the same thing all the time and have to make a change to get enjoyment. It's nice to have a choice.

Kevin

Antebellum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2009
Madison, GA
I'm currently vaping a Prodigy at 3.7 with the resistor switch. I do plan to get the switch without the resistor when they get more in.

I was murdering atomizers at 5 volts and decided to switch to 3.7 volts for economic reasons. During the time I ordered the replacement batteries and when they came, Casey (very patiently) helped me with some troubleshooting and we found that the switch was slightly out of place, pushing the solder joint against the barrel and producing the intermittent short that was driving me nuts. Some gentle persuasion corrected that.

So I got the 16850s (robin's egg blue) in and haven't run it on the RCR123As since.

Vapor quantity is slightly better than with a standard 801 battery, and the vapor is much more consistent. In other words, the vapor is about half what the Prodigy does at 5 volts.

Flavor is better at 3.7 volts. Some subtle flavors (maple and some cherry flavors) were masked at 5 volts. I'm getting 4.18 volts at the adapter now even through the resistor. (And I've seen 7.10 volts at the adapter from freshly charged RCR123As.) Of course, these are at no load, but I usually see around 3.78 volts from a freshly charged standard 801 battery.

I'm curious to see what the non-resistor switch will be like on the Prodigy at 3.7 volts. I'm also going to get some spare switches as these appear to be THE most likely failure point on the device.

The batteries are marked "2600 mAH Li-ion 18650 3.7V." I ordered them from all-battery.com and the part numbers were 39129 for the batteries (four) and 01210 for the charger. This actually turned out to be a travel charger. The prongs fold down when not in use. Unless you need a travel charger, there's another charger they sell that charges BOTH RCR123A and 18650 batteries.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
markarich159,

No fair, you have more toys than I do. I am waiting for my chance to get the PS PT.

Another item I have noticed about the 18650 is how long it takes to charge them. I'm using a Trustfire TR-001 charger and it takes 9 hours to fully charge one of these guys.

I've had to adjust my liquid back to the mix I had been using for 3.7 volts. I hope Puresmoker will get caught up with the demand. I need a resister switch and a PT.

Kevin

Lol, yeah I'm running out of room on my signature space. The PS PT is definitely a great device, the most consistent vape I have.

I have the exact same problem with the TR-001 and the 18650. The 1st time I charged the 18650's, I thought something was wrong it took so long. I've tracked it with a multi meter and most of the charging time is actually taken up by the last 0.3V. It charges relatively fast up to about 3.8-3.9V and then drastically slows down on the last 0.3-0.4V. I guess it's just how those chargers work.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I've been doing some research about batteries over on a flashlight forum. According to this research, the Tenergy batteries are seriously over-rated, Ultrafires and Trustfires are slightly better. According to Candlepower Forums, the AW batteries are about the best - Pila being the best but most expensive.

As for the charger, the TR-001 (marketed under different names) are problematic. Slow to recharge, and they tend to over-charge. The WF-139 are supposed to be much more intelligent.

YMMV. But I'm ordering a pile of stuff from AW. AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread *Part 10* - CPFMarketPlace

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I've been doing some research about batteries over on a flashlight forum. According to this research, the Tenergy batteries are seriously over-rated, Ultrafires and Trustfires are slightly better. According to Candlepower Forums, the AW batteries are about the best - Pila being the best but most expensive.

As for the charger, the TR-001 (marketed under different names) are problematic. Slow to recharge, and they tend to over-charge. The WF-139 are supposed to be much more intelligent.

YMMV. But I'm ordering a pile of stuff from AW. AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread *Part 10* - CPFMarketPlace

I was afraid that the Tenergy were over rated. Those flashlight guys are probably ahead of us on the battery knowledge.

Thaniks for the info.

Kevin

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Lol, yeah I'm running out of room on my signature space. The PS PT is definitely a great device, the most consistent vape I have.

I have the exact same problem with the TR-001 and the 18650. The 1st time I charged the 18650's, I thought something was wrong it took so long. I've tracked it with a multi meter and most of the charging time is actually taken up by the last 0.3V. It charges relatively fast up to about 3.8-3.9V and then drastically slows down on the last 0.3-0.4V. I guess it's just how those chargers work.

I'll order that WF-139 on my next battery order to see if it helps. I'm not afraid of the tr-001 overcharging because all my Li-Ion batts are protected.

I'm going to get a PS PT soon as they get them back in stock.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread