Question about charging Samsung 18650 25R

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSOC

Jul 10, 2015
I'm using a Kanger subox mini and charged it today with the supplied USB cable into a usb port in my laptop. It got pretty warm when charging and I have a very expensive laptop so I don't want to take any risks. The subox kit comes with a USB cable but no wall charger :?:.

Can I use the wall charger from my joyetech Ego One kit, which is rated at 1000mA, with the USB from the Subox to charge the Subox/18650? Or is it incompatible with non-Joyetech devices?

Sorry if this is confusing but I'm a bit confused myself. I will eventually order an external charger but I spent a ton of $ on ecig stuff this month so it will have to wait until next month. Thanks!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I'm using a Kanger Subox mini and charged it today with the supplied USB cable into a usb port in my laptop. It got pretty warm when charging and I have a very expensive laptop so I don't want to take any risks. The Subox kit comes with a USB cable but no wall charger :?:.

Can I use the wall charger from my Joyetech Ego One kit, which is rated at 1000mA, with the USB from the Subox to charge the Subox/18650? Or is it incompatible with non-Joyetech devices?

Sorry if this is confusing but I'm a bit confused myself. I will eventually order an external charger but I spent a ton of $ on ecig stuff this month so it will have to wait until next month. Thanks!

I'd be concerned about batteries getting warm when charging.

Over time I have accumulated an arsenal of over 10 18650 batteries of varying ages, and 2 nitecore d2 chargers (as well as two nitecore um10's which are now my backups), and i can afford to use the slowcharge option charging at 300mA.
My batteries also get more than half hour relaxation time between discharge/putoncharger and vice versa.

Reactions: JSOC

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I'm using a Kanger Subox mini and charged it today with the supplied USB cable into a usb port in my laptop. It got pretty warm when charging and I have a very expensive laptop so I don't want to take any risks. The Subox kit comes with a USB cable but no wall charger :?:.

Can I use the wall charger from my Joyetech Ego One kit, which is rated at 1000mA, with the USB from the Subox to charge the Subox/18650? Or is it incompatible with non-Joyetech devices?

I do not recommend using the internal charger on the Subox (or any mod with removable batteries). While, in tests, it seems that it regulated amperage/voltage just fine, that's not guaranteeing a safe charge 100% of the time.

If the batteries are removable, remove them then charge. You're putting yourself through unnecessary risk otherwise (although it's one of those, "you might be fine!" sort of things). If you are gonna charge the Subox in this fashion, do it while you're watching it/not asleep/not for an extensive period of time. I really wouldn't trust the circuitry to consistently/accurately regulate the voltage.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Batteries should never feel warm or hot to the touch.

Use the appropriate tool (charger) for the appropriate job. I strongly suggest getting a box battery charger specifically to charge your batteries.

• Battery Chargers. Get the best charger that you can reasonably afford, again from a reputable e-cig vendor. Statistically most battery incidents occur while batteries are charging. A higher end charger will have better built-in protections.
Pila, Xtar, Nitecore, and Efest are the most recommended brands. Recommend batteries be charged on a flame-resistant surface: stove top, marble countertop, metal baking pan, pyrex glass dish. Do not charge batteries if you are not physically present to keep an eye on them.

Many of today's higher-end box chargers have "intelligent" technology designed for the charger to shut down when the battery reaches full voltage (4.2 volts), however electronics can and do fail. Don't trust the safety of your home & family to a faulty electronic circuit or charging cord.

Rest batteries after charging
One commonly-reported factor in almost all the incidents we hear of where batteries failed violently while in use is that they were taken directly off the charger and then used immediately, at which point they failed.

Because of this, we think it may be a good idea to rest batteries after charging them. This advice will not be found in the usual 'reference bibles' on batteries, but we see more and different reports than others. Therefore we now advise:

Do not use batteries directly after charging them. Use a battery or batteries you previously charged, and that have rested for several hours. This is especially important if using a stacked pair for higher voltage, as statistically the risk is far higher.

321-sp2-600-r__39486.1399405795.514.328.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread