Status
Not open for further replies.

VanderVape

Moved On
Nov 17, 2010
Wyoming
Yeah, but you know what?

She trusts me.

And she should. She has every reason to.

Lol. Well I trust ya too. :)

Bringing back lots of computer memories. My first Air Force assignment in Germany was at a place called Kindsbach. We used teletype "point-to-point" systems that used "ticker-tape" as well as the old "punch-card" systems. I also worked on the switchboard for a time. It was the old system of lights on a big board. A button would light up and you'd answer it with one cord, then use another cord to connect the call wherever it needed to go with an old style rotary phone dial.

This was in the early 80's so technology has definitely advanced by leaps and bounds in the last 30 years......

Yes it has. It makes me miss the 80s though. Good and fun years. :)

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
When I had my store, I had a 200 sq ft glass area in the front. I had a "History of computers" display there. People would donate their computers for the display too. I had some great machines. I put my C64, C128 Amigas, etc out there. I had a customer donate a Trash80 with the 8" floppies. It was great. The ex wife sold all my old systems when the store closed.

Now, I restore classic (and some newer) arcade machines for my hobby. I have some great ones. Abi can cream me in Frogger but, she plays it more. It is fun to watch her and her friends play all the classics when she has sleepovers. I keep my favorite in the game room (Gyruss). The living room has a few classics (Frogger, Galaga, MsPacman,etc), a NeoGeo and a Tekken Tag. I have an Atari Gauntlet Legends, PaperBoy, Stun Runner and a few more out in the garage.

Norry

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Hanging out in CA for now
Yep Vander-the 80s were great. I spent 7 years during the 80s in Germany and have lots of great memories. I did lots of traveling....Oktoberfest in Munich, Skiing in the Alps, tossing coins in Trevi fountain in Italy, the Red Light district in Amsterdam (as a tourist, not a client....LOL). It was so cheap to travel through the military ticket office that I was jaunting around Europe every chance I got....

VanderVape

Moved On
Nov 17, 2010
Wyoming
Yep Vander-the 80s were great. I spent 7 years during the 80s in Germany and have lots of great memories. I did lots of traveling....Oktoberfest in Munich, Skiing in the Alps, tossing coins in Trevi fountain in Italy, the Red Light district in Amsterdam (as a tourist, not a client....LOL). It was so cheap to travel through the military ticket office that I was jaunting around Europe every chance I got....

Im so totally jealous!

Oh cool frogger, what about centipede? I always got squashed on frogger, and centipede made me freak out because of how fast it would get to moving

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
I am going to the next auction with a centipede machine in mind. I am also going to make sure I have it on the MAME cabinet when I am finished. I have a 1315 board that I use for testing that has centipede but, I have yet to get the 2.5" trackball for it. Also, have a universal classic machine and am going to put centipede on it. It is pretty popular.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Nope, I forgot about that game as well. I liked it too. :)

I was so addicted to that game! My husband (well he was my BF then) always gave me a hard time about liking that game so much. He was a foosball player. Pretty good one at that.

BTW- I am talking about back in the late 70s.

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
My favorites were Terra Priesta and Tempest. I wasted so much money on both of those games.

I would love a Tempest machine but those Vector monitors (they were called Quadrant Scan or something like that) are very hard to repair and almost impossible to replace. You can MAME them though.

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
I used to play Space Invaders at the NCO club in Germany....It was a great gig since I got pretty good at it and won my share of free drinks from the guys who thought they could beat me!!!!!

I picked up a Deluxe Space Invaders for $100 one time. Sold it for $350. It had a bunch of problems too.

Nixsdaddy

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
Bessemer City, NC
I would love a Tempest machine but those Vector monitors (they were called Quadrant Scan or something like that) are very hard to repair and almost impossible to replace. You can MAME them though.

Thats what I have been doing. I have been using MAME for years. I think the first version I used was like .027 or something. lmao

LordDavon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2010
Florida
www.discountvapers.com
Thats what I have been doing. I have been using MAME for years. I think the first version I used was like .027 or something. lmao

I ported it to the Sharp Zaurus about 5 or 6 years ago. I had a ton of those and gave a couple to my nephew. He still plays with a C3200. He is 14 now and very into emulation, thanks to his uncle. So, he goes looking for MAME for the Zaurus. He finds a link that doesn't work on one of the old software listings. He clicks the email to email the author and it brings up my gmail account. His jaw hits the floor and I get a frantic phone call. It goes something like this:

"Hey, umm, uncle David. Did you write MAME for the Zaurus or something."

"Yes, I did that years ago.", I replied

"Umm... Well I got a Super Nintendo emulator and a Gameboy one but, I can't download the MAME one."

"Yup, I wrote some SNES and Gameboy emulators too."

"Umm... Oh yeah. You did. Ummm... can I have MAME?"

"I don't have any of that stuff anymore Gregg."

"Ummm.. Can you write another one?"

My jaw hits the floor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread