RDA coils - bad taste/burnt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymundo Domango

Moved On
Dec 27, 2016
I just bought some pre-made coils and put them in and wicked them with my RDA, I covered all the cotton in juice first.

The first few hits were really bad, it was burnt and tasted disgusting, now it still tastes bad but not burnt...its just a bad taste doesn't really taste like the juice

What could be wrong? At first I noticed I screwed up and part of the cotton was covering the airflow but I fixed it and it helped, but still bad taste. I run at 100W cause my box sucks and has to run higher to perform better.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I just bought some pre-made coils and put them in and wicked them with my RDA, I covered all the cotton in juice first.

The first few hits were really bad, it was burnt and tasted disgusting, now it still tastes bad but not burnt...its just a bad taste doesn't really taste like the juice

What could be wrong? At first I noticed I screwed up and part of the cotton was covering the airflow but I fixed it and it helped, but still bad taste. I run at 100W cause my box sucks and has to run higher to perform better.

Using the Tsunami 24mm?
What is the resistance of each Tiger coils?
How many have you mounted?
Did you try LOWER wattages or you started at 100W?
Cotton wicking can be tricky, less is more.
And WHERE are you located?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Did you Dry Burn the Coils before you put the cotton in?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hhhmmm... Did you wash the atty before you built it? Most of them are made on CNC machines using a tool coolant both toxic and foul tasting. Dry burning the coils before you wick them is also indicated. A lot of wire is drawn using lubricants to reduce wear in the drawing plate. You don't mention the resistance of the coils you built-- I'm guessing pretty low as Tiger wire is pretty thick and 5 wraps is a short stack-- but 100 watts may be too high for them. I am not necessarily saying it is unsafe, but it may be the coil wire is getting so hot it is burning your juice. If you are using cotton wicks, the coils may be stuffed too full. Cotton will "choke" and not transport juice if it is pressed too tightly. You may want to try a set of rayon wicks.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona

Sounds like you are burning the wick.

Tone down the power

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
Basics first. Pulse the coil at a lower wattage and apply more liquid to ensure that it gets inside the coil to the cotton. Bad taste could be from the cotton you use. Start at lower wattage and work up to a level that feels good. Not all juice, cotton and devices work the same no matter what you've used previously. Ramp up to a good vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread