Status
Not open for further replies.

bam2873

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
United States
Hi all!

Been vaping for about 4 months and love it! The reason I've been successful so far is by reading, reading, reading through this forum! A huge thank you to all who have taken the time and effort to post such valuable advice and information.

Right now I'm reading about rebuilding atomizers. Haven't dripped yet but plan to and am very excited about it! I'm a little confused about something regarding coils. I see that people refer to coils in 2 ways: rebuilding and replacing.

The way I'm understanding it so far, if you have dripped on an rebuildable atomizer and are ready to "rebuild" the coil - you go through the process of creating a wick/wire attachment for the metal coil itself. So the coil is the metal piece + wick/wire.

I also see clearos, atty's etc. where you can replace the coil - once again, the metal piece + wick/wire.

My question is: if you are capable of replacing the wick/wire on the metal piece, is there ever a need to replace the metal piece itself? In other words, does the metal piece wear out?

I hope I've been clear on my confusion. Does anyone have any advice/info for me?

Thanks! :vapor:

bam2873

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
United States
Do you mean mesh wick?

I guess I mean either silica wick or cotton wick (those are the 2 I've read about the most). Not sure what mesh wick really is. Is it silica rolled from mesh?

At some point in time, the other parts of the clearo's head will wear out (grommets, seals, plugs, etc.). So yes, while rebuilding some heads is possible on items like the Protank, eventually you'll have to replace the entire head.

That's what I was thinking. But what about the rebuildable atomizer coil heads?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As retired pointed out, if you use clearomizers the head (the part with the heating coil and wicks) will wear out. The majority of people purchase replacement heads, which removing the old head and replacing with a new one is quite simple.

There are some who enjoy tinkering and DIY, and instead of replacing the entire head they make a new coil from the appropriate size wire.

It doesn't matter which way you decide to go, do whichever you are most comfortable with.

Tutorial on how to make and fit a SS Mesh Wick for the Vision Ego Clearomizer.

Last edited:

bam2873

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
United States
As retired pointed out, if you use clearomizers the head (the part with the heating coil and wicks) will wear out. The majority of people purchase replacement heads, which removing the old head and replacing with a new one is quite simple.

There are some who enjoy tinkering and DIY, and instead of replacing the entire head they make a new coil from the appropriate size wire.

It doesn't matter which way you decide to go, do whichever you are most comfortable with.

Oh, good - so you are saying that the metal part of the head could last a long time if you DIY?

Hoofhearted62

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
South Park, Pa. USA
I rebuild/rewick all my t3's and protanks at every juice change. I have a few extra coils that when I change juices, i pull out a rebuilt one and drop it in. take the old one and put it in a container marked "needs cleaning" so I know what the status is. its is a 5 minute operation to rebuild a protank coil.

bam2873

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
United States

Tutorial on how to make and fit a SS Mesh Wick for the Vision Ego Clearomizer.

Ooh, thanks for the video Baditude! Can't wait to watch!

bam2873

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
United States
I rebuild/rewick all my t3's and protanks at every juice change. I have a few extra coils that when I change juices, i pull out a rebuilt one and drop it in. take the old one and put it in a container marked "needs cleaning" so I know what the status is. its is a 5 minute operation to rebuild a protank coil.

Hoofhearted62, that is exactly what I want to do! I've been using the same method with my used clearos - even down to the "needs cleaning" container! Thanks!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Baditude, I've just watched the video you posted. It seems like a lot of work to make the SS Mesh Wick. Is the flavor better enough to go through all the work? It seems way easier to just use silica. Is there any other advantage to using SS Mesh Wick - maybe it lasts longer?
Can't answer your questions. I'm not a tinker type of person. I simply purchase the replacement head/wicks and pop them on. Works best for me.

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States

Are you talking about building a coil from scratch; spinning the wire and working it through the head and wicking it all in 5 minutes? Wow...got some experience! Mind providing some details on what you use for wick (material & size) and coil (gauge)?

Right now I'm doing my research and going to order both 30awg and 32awg wire to begin my experimentation.
As I'm waiting for that...going to begin testing on cotton wicks for those of my stock coil head that now taste like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread