ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Hi. I just tried this recipe kindly suggested to me on Reddit

Bavarian Cream (FW) 2.00%
Lemon Meringue Pie v2 (CAP) 5.00%
Lemon Sicily (FA) 1.00%
Sweet Cream (CAP) 2.00%

But I made a mistake and added 1g of both BC and SC (which nearly brought them up to the LMP %). Its nice still but I have a couple of questions.

After a 2 day steep colour started as light amber but now it is rust coloured. It's no problem but is this normal? Why does it happen? Molecular interaction/chemical changes?

Also the lemon is very muted. Is this because of the mistake or just my tastebuds. Do the creams mute flavors? TIA.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hi. I just tried this recipe kindly suggested to me on Reddit

Bavarian Cream (FW) 2.00%
Lemon Meringue Pie v2 (CAP) 5.00%
Lemon Sicily (FA) 1.00%
Sweet Cream (CAP) 2.00%

But I made a mistake and added 1g of both BC and SC (which nearly brought them up to the LMP %). Its nice still but I have a couple of questions.

After a 2 day steep colour started as light amber but now it is rust coloured. It's no problem but is this normal? Why does it happen? Molecular interaction/chemical changes?

Also the lemon is very muted. Is this because of the mistake or just my tastebuds. Do the creams mute flavors? TIA.
I don’t know about the color change, maybe air introduced in the mix, but creams can mute. LMP % is low imo. I would just make another tester myself.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
I don’t know about the color change, maybe air introduced in the mix, but creams can mute. LMP % is low imo. I would just make another tester myself.

Thanks i'll try the mix again at the correct ratio.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
lBxWkFM5CPtGyyRs2MuSVmR2gLR8jolaRTXPa2bWS-0NuA2CDie949UlPW0D_JfIM_h6KLMpr9zYuTC6y_yfixwif7YjKvQczuBbcK2CxU3iNVi1mP_DOiBm0chis8wmLlm1BDk_Qv4_5sIBAiXUfzxVcl29_BWw1csQmFCudoIGrEeOEd4FxmLsMEtGYWLnBZTU7YfQrJvbmX1RWG8QEQ_jos5LA0VYfV7DDJ1h6dung2RwoEuTYWTMykvdXrykhhM2SmWKlx66CW8pA_IsYM7TeFmn-GPT4Jakb68tfEunn6yV74htOoe39vjPLOrVHZt7ikhRJBgoEcBXETQ9wJtXD42YAp8VUoga-ayqYskQuCsRamlnxj4RUYGLbKwdCF1EKiO4Xg_p-_sl5UPGja-3z32dk-gHn0dBnlt-SRb4gqEDzW4Z2CuJljkLauAHcpcGHzTKsOakyr3B7t43yCJfKG2NGaB7fqd9eaWyziompRjer-QLRou7IJch30RaWkhtZVMAmwbH4inWDZEqSgr4uKkCGMqY1Q8L98MWAfs0cnvkd5B6FD0g_TCsOozGNYaYVu4hswOI90tvZKsp40UcMKgM4ifiUOEfn4gD=w835-h626-no
Here is a pic of the colour change....
AF1QipM-lu-g6adUvz1ndRuLtBPATezsLMABkM82_Ema

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Can't say entirely I usually don't have DRAMATIC (sometimes mild color change) changes unless I'm using an additive like one of the Wizard additives although I will say they are dark to start with and it's more or less instantaneous, the color change, once I mix it. So, I guess there could be contamination somewhere but I don't know for sure, since you didn't quite mix what you wanted, well, try again, make sure your bottle and measuring things and all are sort of well washed and etc., and try again.

Creams can mute citruses and citruses can be prone to fading. Since some creams really take a while to steep, you may want to add part of the lemon now, and then some closer to the end of your steep time and etc.

Good luck,

Anna

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I have had my mixes darken over time so I don’t think it’s a big deal. Just depends on the flavorings used it and how much it darkens. I’m no scientist so I’m not sure but I think it is the nicotine molecules ionizing with the flavor compounds causing de ionized gases to fluctuate the ph balance thus creating a hemoglobin viscosity resistance similar to what we see in the photograph. Don’t quote me on that because like I said “I’m no scientist”.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
[QUOTE="So, I guess there could be contamination somewhere but I don't know for sure, since you didn't quite mix what you wanted, well, try again, make sure your bottle and measuring things and all are sort of well washed and etc., and try again.[/QUOTE]

Defo not contamination. I'm OCD about cleanliness.

[QUOTE=''Creams can mute citruses and citruses can be prone to fading. Since some creams really take a while to steep, you may want to add part of the lemon now, and then some closer to the end of your steep time and etc.[/QUOTE]

Yes...I think this is it + my expectation. I was expecting the lemon to be far more citrusy with more bite so I am defo going to work on building a recipe with that in mind. Maybe I'm one of the people that can't taste certain fruits.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
I’m no scientist so I’m not sure but I think it is the nicotine molecules ionizing with the flavor compounds causing de ionized gases to fluctuate the ph balance thus creating a hemoglobin viscosity resistance similar to what we see in the photograph. Don’t quote me on that because like I said “I’m no scientist”.

Haha....ok I deserved that :mad:scientist :D

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
So why has this been moved....the post is surely about recipes? .....or have I forgotten a rule I read the other day? I do read the rules etc...honestly :angel:

I just tried this recipe kindly suggested to me on Reddit
^
It's not really your recipe you are posting and you are a work in progress on it...questions...discussions... :)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
So why has this been moved....the post is surely about recipes? .....or have I forgotten a rule I read the other day? I do read the rules etc...honestly :angel:
Completed recipes are looked upon differently. This one is a WIP (work in progress). Fa lemon sicily fades badly, I don't add to my mixes until a day or two before I want to start vaping the mix. I would explore more flavor vendors available to you, maybe Inawera and Flavourmonks. Look into their reviews and flavor notes. I enjoy my FA flavors very much but would find it quite limiting if I didn't have a diverse flavor stash.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Fa lemon sicily fades badly.....

This is exactly what I was thinking...its pretty understated on the nose also. And I thought that FA were known for their strength of flavour. Something that fades that badly is hardly very useful....you certainly couldn't do a big batch or sell it if you were a juice manufacturer.....now I am a bit confused....maybe I should try it as a stand alone to see exactly what's going on.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Fa lemon sicily fades badly.....

This is exactly what I was thinking...its pretty understated on the nose also. And I thought that FA were known for their strength of flavour. Something that fades that badly is hardly very useful....you certainly couldn't do a big batch or sell it if you were a juice manufacturer.....now I am a bit confused....maybe I should try it as a stand alone to see exactly what's going on.
It is a very good flavor just have to learn how to make it work for you. For me the fade gets bad around the 8-10th day mark. Before I found a lemon that does't fade much I used the sicily in snv or mixed the recipe with out the lemon and just pulled off of that a few mls at a time to add lemon to.
Look into what shipping costs from here would be, they are well thought of and carry many brands, some US brands as well.
Chefs Flavours Ltd

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
It is a very good flavor just have to learn how to make it work for you.
Look into what shipping costs from here would be, they are well thought of and carry many brands, some US brands as well.
Chefs Flavours Ltd

Thanks...I agree that it smells nice but am just questioning its usefulness in long term mixes unless as a faded note to compliment something else.

I don't lack suppliers from here in France for flavours I just decided to go with FA because research was telling me how highly they were thought of...maybe I got the wrong lemon. What do you use as a strong no fade lemon??
I have around 20Fa 6 CAP 4 TFA and some others which are my DIY starting kit flavours. I am not going to spend on any more for a while until I've tried a few recipes with what I have got if that makes sense.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
It is a very good flavor just have to learn how to make it work for you.
Chefs Flavours Ltd

Thanks...I agree that it smells nice but am just questioning its usefulness in long term mixes unless as a faded note to compliment something else.

I don't lack suppliers from here in France for flavours I just decided to go with FA because research was telling me how highly they were thought of...maybe I got the wrong lemon. What do you use as a strong no fade lemon??
I have around 20Fa 6 CAP 4 TFA and some others which are my DIY starting kit flavours. I am not going to spend on any more for a while until I've tried a few recipes with what I have got if that makes sense.
I like the FE (Flavor Express) lemon and have found Cap juicy lemon useful. You might try a lemonade instead. Many use Cap lemon lime but it leans more to the lime, I have it one my wishlist as I enjoy lime. For long term mixed juices you simply have to do the homework. Look at reviews and flavor notes, reddit is useful for the notes. Just get a few lemons and lemonades and do 5ml testers for steeping experiments. In my experience there are no magic bullets in diy. Personal perceptions are too varied. You will have to spend a bit to find what you are looking for just like you did with gear. Try using other flavors to lift the lemon like dragon fruit, I find TFA df and INW pitaya useful for this.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
I like the FE (Flavor Express) lemon and have found Cap juicy lemon useful. You might try a lemonade instead. Many use Cap lemon lime but it leans more to the lime, I have it one my wishlist as I enjoy lime. For long term mixed juices you simply have to do the homework. Look at reviews and flavor notes, reddit is useful for the notes. Just get a few lemons and lemonades and do 5ml testers for steeping experiments. In my experience there are no magic bullets in diy. Personal perceptions are too varied. You will have to spend a bit to find what you are looking for just like you did with gear. Try using other flavors to lift the lemon like dragon fruit, I find TFA df and INW pitaya useful for this.

Thanks Letitia... Some good tips here. I had already thought of boosting with dragon fruit or lime I have the FA versions although I thing the lime is key lime so might be like the lemon Sicily. This morning my liquid keeps reminding me of gingerbread so am looking too get some ginger flavour. FA only does an oil soluble version so still looking.. .thanks again for the useful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread