Regulated mods Ohm Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

elee86

Jun 7, 2014
Winty City
Hello everyone,
Been vaping for 3 weeks now and have been off analogs from day 1.

My question, is the ohm meter on regulated mods accurate enough to build coils and check resistance? I have a MVP and a SVD if that helps.

I don't have a problem going out and picking up multimeter, I just thought I'd ask around first for a definite answer.

Thanks in advance!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I find that my Provari and my Sigelei Zmax both report virtually the same readings. If you are coil building, there are lots of cheap volt ohm meters that will suffice. Check out Harbor Freight if there's a store near you. If not, try Northern Tool or your local auto parts store. Just about everyone sells the Chinese model below. It doesn't auto zero on ohms, so you have to hold the leads together and subtract the lead resistance from the reading you get on an atomizer coil. If the plugs on the leads are clean and seated, you will get about .4 ohms with the probes pressed together. Subtract .4 (or whatever you get) from the reading across the coil.

This is a Harbor Freight model that you can usually buy for $3.99. It's sold under many names at other stores. I keep several around the house, upstairs, downstairs, and in my workshop for convenience. My Simpson DVM stays in a drawer. :)

92020.gif

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks for the info.
I threw my KFL+ on the SVD and it read 0.8 ohms. It is to my understanding the SVD and most regulated mods wont go below 1.2 ohms.
Possible something is not working with my SVD? I did try firing and it fired no problem.

The mod may not care about the resistance unless it's a short circuit. It's current that that most of them are limiting. If that's the case, it may work at lower voltages and kick out an error code when the amperage hits the pre-programmed top stop limit.

At 3 volts a .8 ohm coil will pull 3.75 amps. The SVD manual reports a 5 amp current limit.

Go here and enter the numbers to see how much power and current you asked it to produce.
http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php

http://www.innokin.com/iTaste_SVD_USER_MANUAL_387.html

BASIC PARAMETER
Dimension: (109.7-139.7) *Φ23.5mm
Material: Stainless Steel
Maximum Current Output: 5.0 Amperage
Operating Voltage: 3.3V-6.0V
Operating Wattage: 3.0W-15.0W

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
well considering that the mod that does the checking of the ohms will base its operation off that reading... I would believe that there is probably a redundant or back up code in the chip that checks other aspects of the coil too. I would feel safe with the ohm reading of the mod ( altho its not as "accurate" decimal wise compared to a dedicated meter)

between an Excel program I use, the mods ohm meter, and a stand alone meter... its always been within .02 ohms of actual...

elee86

Jun 7, 2014
Winty City
IMG_2140.jpg

First attempt at a coil build. Came out exactly .5 ohm.

Using organic cotton wick and tastes great.

My question is, after 5-6 puffs, it starts tasting a bit metallic. I checked the wick and it still looks a bit saturated, no dry hits. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

Using 28g kanthal torched, organic cotton wick. I've cleaned the atty several times and am still getting that taste.

Any help is appreciated!

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Hello everyone,
Been vaping for 3 weeks now and have been off analogs from day 1.

My question, is the ohm meter on regulated mods accurate enough to build coils and check resistance? I have a MVP and a SVD if that helps.

I don't have a problem going out and picking up multimeter, I just thought I'd ask around first for a definite answer.

Thanks in advance!

I use my provari as an ohm meter. I have a good hdmm and oscope also, when infest started coiling I was checking it on the hdmm first. Realized that's just dumb since the provari won't fire anything lower than 0.8 anyway And even there it won't fire much in terms of wattage. My theory is if I want to perform a certain way the provari needs to see what's there. So I just use it as my ohm meter. I'm just a little careful as I make sure I don't have a short anywhere and I low about how many wraps to get about where I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
View attachment 344601

First attempt at a coil build. Came out exactly .5 ohm.

Using organic cotton wick and tastes great.

My question is, after 5-6 puffs, it starts tasting a bit metallic. I checked the wick and it still looks a bit saturated, no dry hits. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

Using 28g kanthal torched, organic cotton wick. I've cleaned the atty several times and am still getting that taste.

Any help is appreciated!

.5 ohms just about requires 28ga Kanthal unless you have enough room to make a larger microcoil in your atomizers. The "new coil" taste is sometimes metallic until the coil crusts over a bit. Some new attys have that strange flavor when you first install them. After an hour or two of vaping the flavor settles into something good. Keep the wick primed by doing a puff or two before hitting the fire button. That draws more juice into the coil.

I make micro coils for my Protanks using 32ga Kanthal with 6 turns or so and they come out somewhere around 2 ohms. There's not enough room for the 10 or 12 1.8mm turns to get below one ohm with 32ga wire and the space is too tight for dual coils.

elee86

Jun 7, 2014
Winty City
Thanks for the tip. I ended up washing the atty out. Metallic taste has disappeared.
I'm still working on wicking. Weird I have so much trouble wicking but coils are no problem.

If my numbers are right I'm drawing around 8.5A on my Sony VTC5. Is that considered relatively safe? I also have some AW batteries but don't want to use them with my rda.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Totally stupid question here. I should know the answer but it's been nagging at me.
I've taken 2f and 3f capacitors and discharged them in my wheelchair for fun in my lab several times. They pop and blow up, make a pretty light show and freak people out; to my own amusement.
I've read allot of people talking about safety with mechs; which is a great thing; and, I'm thrilled to see setting discussed here that I never see at a storefront.
What have y'all seen and heard of happen through lack of safety?
Batteries exploded?
People get shocked?
Perm angrily damaged?
Again dumb dumb question I realize that; but I've only used regulated mods and am "toying" with getting a mech. I'm having problems with the general concept of putting 30 Amps in my mouths and sucking: 10milliamps is all it takes to stop the heart.
Again I realize it's dumb but if we can keep the calling the regulated mod guy an idiot comments out that would be appreciated.
I just don't see the permant damage to a battery exploding- seen it, not on a mod but in the lab.
Been shocked but no long term damage to that.
So I guess I'm wondering g how bad can it really get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread