Screw it

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
I was out in my hobby area looking through my thingamajigs and doohickeys for things to make a coil jig. I got side tracked when I found some specialty types of threaded things. I figured I'd try wrapping a couple coils.

The larger is 4mm, the smaller is 2.5mm. But they're spaced. Can they be used efficiently in VV Mode?
1000019544.jpg

This is the head of the 2.5mm thingamajig.
1000019545.jpg

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,

Phil's Build Tool and Dimitris' Build Tool
pnd.JPG

clear1x1.gif
Innokin Ares RTA by Phil Busardo and Dimitris Agrafiotis - Rebuildable Tank Atomizer for MTL Vaping Platform Series
Review of the most recent version: INNOKIN ARES FINALE RTA TANK review by hittman

Cheers
I

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
I can't seem to find these two words in the dictionary Mate! And I have the Oxword dictionary :blink:
as for your coil there I'm not a temp. control man myself I've always just stuck with the watts so I'm no help!
Haha, the reference was due to my way in creating. Oxford doesn't cover American "slang"...probably like a lot of the Aussie "Vaping Bogan" and his lingo. Haha, my wife took offense to his reviews...LOLOL

As I was mentioning, the screw made it simple for uniformity. What I used were coarse thread. A fine thread machine screw will put the coils side-by-side!!

Last edited:

no|ah

Dec 11, 2023
Connecticut, USA
I was out in my hobby area looking through my thingamajigs and doohickeys for things to make a coil jig. I got side tracked when I found some specialty types of threaded things. I figured I'd try wrapping a couple coils.

The larger is 4mm, the smaller is 2.5mm. But they're spaced. Can they be used efficiently in VV Mode?
View attachment 1008724
This is the head of the 2.5mm thingamajig.
View attachment 1008730
No input?
I'm running it now. It being spaced, I squeezed it together. Ni80 26ga. Running at 0.84 ohm/14 watts
View attachment 1008794
Nice DIY coil jig. No one would accuse me of being an expert, but those coils look pretty good to me. Nice improvement over the coil that you posted a few days back:thumbs:

Looks like ni80 can do VV but not TC.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
Nice DIY coil jig. No one would accuse me of being an expert, but those coils look pretty good to me. Nice improvement over the coil that you posted a few days back:thumbs:

Looks like ni80 can do VV but not TC.
Hah, I like keeping things as complicated (simple) as they need to be. The screws (bolts) I used caught my attention. Considering they were spaced...and I don't use TC, using them in VV when they're not fused was my only real concern. I mean, it still works OK.

Being as the 4mm ID is so large, there's not enough capillary feeding to keep it saturated. A 3mm ID may also be too large. I'll play around with it more and find out!

Reactions: no|ah

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
Coil diameter is somewhat dictated by the particular topper. I use KFs and Skylines, both similar build decks, and 2.0 MM ID is what I wind for them. Works for me :)
When I'm making coils, I still find myself looking at the included (stock) coils comparing size, thinking, they're sure tiny. For me the size is tedious to work with. Small medical forceps help a lot. 2mm? I'm already wearing line-less bifocals, I guess I better go dig out my big commercial movie projector lenses so I can see WTH I'm doing.

Tune in next for vaping in braille?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Well, the included coils can be an indication of what the maker thinks is the right ID.

I wind on a mini-screwdriver of the diameter I want. Leave it ON the driver, to hold it while mounting on the base.

And I wear un-blended tri-focals ;)

Maybe something like this would be useful for you?

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
Among The Pugs
Well, the included coils can be an indication of what the maker thinks is the right ID.
True. That's a good way to think about it.
I wind on a mini-screwdriver of the diameter I want. Leave it ON the driver, to hold it while mounting on the base.
I have a difficult time with the whole process of making and installing. Then there's the tiny Allen heads or screws which need tightened. I've got the tools to make the whole process more simplistic, I just haven't delegated any to the essential "vaping tools" yet.
And I wear un-blended tri-focals ;)
Making coils is definitely a chore. I'm going to watch for a used jewelers magnified/lighted/movable arm.
Maybe something like this would be useful for you?

Those can be handy. I've almost bought one many times over the years. I may need to finally buy one.

Reactions: DavidOck

Users who are viewing this thread