Seems like vaping has come full circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
I kinda feel I did go backwards with my vaping style. Started with cigalikes, went on to ego/C4/evods, then to MVP Protank/Davide/Nautilus tanks, which exploded to all sorts of mods, sub ohm tanks, RTA/RBA's. Vaped the last way for a few years and loved it. Well, like almost everything about it, I never liked building. I read all the time how easy it is but it takes me way to long to get a build correct. I can build and have enough cotton and wire to last a life time if needed. However, I prefer a drop in coil over building my own coils.

Earlier this year, went looking at pods for something when out and about. Bought the Breeze 2 and loved the form factor which got me looking into other pod systems. Went crazy and bought a bunch of different pods and now vape them exclusively. I find the small form factor satisfying. I upped my nic level from 6 mg to 18 mg and dropped my consumption from about 20+ mils a day to between 2-4 mils a day.

Now all my mods are sitting on a shelf like collector items and tanks have been emptied and put in storage for when I want/need them. My home which had mods and juice bottles in almost every room is clutter free outside of a few pod systems on the table and all juice bottles are in the vape cabinet. The other benefit to me is I used to seem glued to a mod whenever I was awake. Never left a room without a mod in my hand and would vape constantly. Now, I take a vape or two and put the pod either in my pocket or on the table. Although when working, I do like to twirl certain pods with my fingers much like I used to do with lighters when I smoked; it helps me concentrate when analyzing data. So yeah, I guess I went full circle back to the beginner type of equipment. Works for me and keeps me off smokes, life is good.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I think the pods are cool for ease of use and less vape stuff needed. Just a charge cord, a few pods and a couple bottles of juice. Nice and neat :) LOL I am considering cleaning up my vape area to just the couple pods for holiday time with guests coming. Takes less time too! Edit- and charge time is only 45 min, not hrs. Don't get me wrong I love the Berserker on my Radius but in a pinch Orion works well.

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

GamblerMagic

Nov 29, 2018
I've got a hobby in electronics so vaping for me goes hand in hand with that. A lot of the tools are similar so even if I went strictly to AIOs I'd still have all my tools and nothing to tinker with. There are some days/weeks I don't feel like wicking, making wire, rolling a coil or whatever and just rock my pod mod or use a sub-ohm tank.

For me I like to explore the flavors of eliquid, only a vv, vw, or mech can do that. Won't find a pod mod that opens up flavor on Jam Monster like dual frame staples at 200 watts...

What will be interesting is to see how the future of vaping goes. Will we keep Tobacco based nicotine or move entirely to synthetic? What will happen if the FDA bans flavors, will companies start selling their flavoring so we can mix our own like some have to do in Europe?

The vape community as a whole is interesting to watch evolve, sometimes frustrating. Mostly frustrating when other vapers don't think of us as a community and don't do their part to fight legislation. I guess I'd throw flavor bans into that frustrating segment too, and the lies, let's not forget the lies that spread about vaping. ;)

All that matters is that you're happy with where you are, and you're not smoking. Unlike the uncertainty in the vaping world smoking will eventually lend a hand in death.

Vape on! :vapor::vapor::vapor:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
:lol: Ahhh, come on. Tell us how you really feel.

Yeah, I'm lazy. I built my own wicks and coils for years. I eventually grew tired of having to rewick my coils every 2 - 3 days to get decent flavor. Besides, my eyesight's not so good anymore and I have a tremor in one of my thumbs, which makes wicking not so easy.

Did my research and got the original Uwell Crown clearomizer. Vapes as well as my RDA's. I've been using them ever since. Prime the coil good and fill up the tank, and I'm good for at least 3 - 4 weeks. No need to rewick, just add e-liquid once or twice a day. Perfect for the lazy vaper.

Got a Cerberus tank with my new Geekvape Aegis Mini kit, and its a pretty darn good tank, too.

Different strokes for different folks. ;)
Wow - a coil lasts that log. That's awesome. How much e-liquid do you go through daily? Just curious. I rebuild and I use sweeter flavors so my coils get gunked up pretty quick. I was changing coils and wicks every 3-4 days. Folks here said to dry burn and I do that sometimes too but mostly just change it out.

Reactions: bnrkwest

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Wow - a coil lasts that log. That's awesome. How much e-liquid do you go through daily? Just curious. I rebuild and I use sweeter flavors so my coils get gunked up pretty quick. I was changing coils and wicks every 3-4 days. Folks here said to dry burn and I do that sometimes too but mostly just change it out.
A good handmade .11 ohms pair of Nichrome 80 alien coils (27g/36g, 4.5 wraps 2.5mm ID) easily retails for $17 (15 Euros) so throwing my coils in the trash every 3-4 days is not the most feasible option to me even though I can build these coils myself for much cheaper with my cordless drill and my swivel tool. On a mech mod these coils can last up to about 20 times longer than 3-4 days, if you dry burn (orange glow, not yellow-ish orange) them at low wattage a few times in a row each time before you rewick.

That said, I use a few small, well-aimed splashes of drinkable, mildly carbonized water during this whole process of repeated dry burning, to repeatedly rinse and boil all the soot off and also out of the countless small cavities/crevasses between the three core wires and the alien wrap wire. The carbonized water that I use is from a French (me living in the EU) brand called Badoit; for some strange reason dry burning with the coils soaked in sparkling water just cleans them (the coils, not the French... ;)) more thoroughly when compared to using normal tap water to rinse. I use tap water for the final rinse, and I vigorously blow the remaining drops of water out of the build deck before I gently pulse it dry whilst I make sure to make the funny smell that rises up from the coils each time after I gently pulse them goes away, i.e. just moderately glowing them a few final times plus leaving it sit for about the time it takes to prepare the cotton sausage after that.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
A good handmade .11 ohms pair of Nichrome 80 alien coils (27g/36g, 4.5 wraps 2.5mm ID) easily retails for $17 (15 Euros) so throwing my coils in the trash every 3-4 days is not the most feasible option to me even though I can build these coils myself for much cheaper with my cordless drill and my swivel tool. On a mech mod these coils can last up to about 20 times longer than 3-4 days, if you dry burn (orange glow, not yellow-ish orange) them at low wattage a few times in a row each time before you rewick.

That said, I use a few small, well-aimed splashes of drinkable, mildly carbonized water during this whole process of repeated dry burning, to repeatedly rinse and boil all the soot off and also out of the countless small cavities/crevasses between the three core wires and the alien wrap wire. The carbonized water that I use is from a French (me living in the EU) brand called Badoit; for some strange reason dry burning with the coils soaked in sparkling water just cleans them (the coils, not the French... ;)) more thoroughly when compared to using normal tap water to rinse. I use tap water for the final rinse, and I vigorously blow the remaining drops of water out of the build deck before I gently pulse it dry whilst I make sure to make the funny smell that rises up from the coils each time after I gently pulse them goes away, i.e. just moderately glowing them a few final times plus leaving it sit for about the time it takes to prepare the cotton sausage after that.
Thanks a lot. I vape around 20-30 watts - use mainly vanilla, tobacco, caramel type of flavors. Was using Kanthal - finally upped to stainless but I have a harder time because of the thinner wire to get in the same range. I do mostly just change em out since I buy most of them precoiled. I sometimes coil myself but I suck even with the coil jigs. If I do dry burn I have a stainless brush that I brush and wipe em down and rinse after dry burning. Slow but steady I am moving up. Just rec'd today Stainless Steel + Kanthal A1 Clapton Pre-made coil 26/32 - my first ever different kind of coil. I never tried a twisted coiled one and really was not sure what to even order. It just looked like a good size. I do not use mechanical. I have not wicked it yet but it is supposedly .5 ohm which is my preferred range.

What I do not know about --are twisted coils always from two different kinds of wire - should they be? And for a Kanthal + stainless is that safe in temp mode? I mainly use wattage but want to know and understand.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: bnrkwest

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Thanks a lot. I vape around 20-30 watts - use mainly vanilla, tobacco, caramel type of flavors. Was using Kanthal - finally upped to stainless but I have a harder time because of the thinner wire to get in the same range. I do mostly just change em out since I buy most of them precoiled. I sometimes coil myself but I suck even with the coil jigs. If I do dry burn I have a stainless brush that I brush and wipe em down and rinse after dry burning. Slow but steady I am moving up. Just rec'd today Stainless Steel + Kanthal A1 Clapton Pre-made coil 26/32 - my first ever different kind of coil. I never tried a twisted coiled one and really was not sure what to even order. It just looked like a good size. I do not use mechanical. I have not wicked it yet but it is supposedly .5 ohm which is my preferred range.

What I do not know about --are twisted coils always from two different kinds of wire - should they be? And for a Kanthal + stainless is that safe in temp mode? I mainly use wattage but want to know and understand.

Thanks
The simplest or most basic approach to building twisted coils is to just use only a few strands of only a single kind of wire like shown in the first portion of the video below, but trying all different kinds of ideas, different combinations of multiple ideas and variations of previous ideas is how the concept of advanced coil building came about, and that's also what makes this whole video so interesting to watch.

Another basic type of coil that uses twisting technique is the tiger coil (originally invented by Leo S), which is created by twisting together one strand of round wire and one strand of ribbon wire:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
The simplest or most basic approach to building twisted coils is to just use only a few strands of only a single kind of wire like shown in the first portion of the video below, but trying all different kinds of ideas, different combinations of multiple ideas and variations of previous ideas is how the concept of advanced coil building came about, and that's also what makes this whole video so interesting to watch.

Another basic type of coil that uses twisting technique is the tiger coil (originally invented by Leo S), which is created by twisting together one strand of round wire and one strand of ribbon wire:

I watched the first video -thanks. Interesting. I'm actually more proficient with a drill than a coil jig :)

He used the same type of wire for all the wires.

From what I am learning what I bought are clapton coils (What are Clapton Coils, Fused Claptons, Alien Coils & More - Vaping360)

What I do not get is that it is 2 kinds of wire Kanthal and stainless and I want to know if that is considered safe in power mode and in temp mode and why or why not.

I will watch the other video later.

For now, I will buy them already coiled but I do want to understand so the info helps.

Last edited:

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I watched the first video -thanks. Interesting. I'm actually more proficient with a drill than a coil jig :)

He used the same type of wire for all the wires.

From what I am learning what I bought are clapton coils (What are Clapton Coils, Fused Claptons, Alien Coils & More - Vaping360)

What I do not get is that it is 2 kinds of wire Kanthal and stainless and I want to know if that is considered safe in power mode and in temp mode and why or why not.

I will watch the other video later.

For now, I will buy them already coiled but I do want to understand so the info helps.
The benefit of combining different metal types in this particular fashion is to achieve different surface temperatures to bring out different flavor notes and to improve on flavor depth, also to add/remove a bit of warmth to/from the feel of the vape, at least that's the classical old theory AFAIK. It also affects the performance of the coils in terms of ramp up time (and cool down time). Kanthal is very slow in this regard, and, if you reduce the number of wire strands for designing your coil and/or you reduce the wire thickness, then due to the amount (i.e. the volume) of metal being reduced as a result it will be faster, but the total surface area will be reduced also so an alternative option is to just move (or partially) to a different metal type like stainless or Nichrome.

Finally, regulated mods are limited by design as for the minimum resistance and maximum resistance that the atomizer/coil needs to be to still be able to fire the coils or be able to fire them at the desired wattage, and, regulated mods typically also are characterized by the relationship between the battery charge remaining and how the mod automatically starts to throttle the wattage down so they are limited by how the coil resistance affects this relationship (and to some possible extent that can be significant, the efficiency of the mod and the resulting battery life). So the resistance of the coil does matter on a regulated mod, to some certain extent, but because modern advanced, decent quality regulated mods have all the built-in safety features to notify the user when it can't handle the set of parameters in question, it should be considered reasonably safe if you don't burn the juice up by keeping the wattage (or temperature) under control and by giving it the correct airflow that it needs also for that to work.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
New classes of persons, entire layers of society are taking up vaping continously; there is a turnover of so many different personalities that the simple cigarette smoking has never seen.
The point of view of a passionate Vaper with advanced skills (the typical ECF user) is one, and possibly the most complete, where you note the return of ego/ce4 under the shape of pods, the revival of MTL which is instead a social uptake of vaping, for those who begun with monster clouds, and then realised they were annoying everybody else.
The average Vaper is happy with the device which satisfy, trying new gear is expensive, the chance they identify the recourse of history are very slim...

Reactions: DPLongo22

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Wow - a coil lasts that log. That's awesome. How much e-liquid do you go through daily? Just curious. I rebuild and I use sweeter flavors so my coils get gunked up pretty quick. I was changing coils and wicks every 3-4 days. .
I go through 4 - 8 ml of e-liquid a day. I typically vape a 0.5 ohm drop in coil at 30 watts. The e-liquid I most use is a 100% vg e-liquid on the sweet side. 100% VG Coffee Cake eLiquid - Spring Vapor

Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
New classes of persons, entire layers of society are taking up vaping continously; there is a turnover of so many different personalities that the simple cigarette smoking has never seen.
The point of view of a passionate Vaper with advanced skills (the typical ECF user) is one, and possibly the most complete, where you note the return of ego/ce4 under the shape of pods, the revival of MTL which is instead a social uptake of vaping, for those who begun with monster clouds, and then realised they were annoying everybody else.
The average Vaper is happy with the device which satisfy, trying new gear is expensive, the chance they identify the recourse of history are very slim...

In my family there are currently five people who vape. Four are "E-cig Users", and one "Vaper" (me). I'm HERE doing THIS (learning, changing, buying, etc.), while most of them are still using the same stuff they've been using for years and years.

THIS is more fun. :)

Reactions: AXIOM_1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread