Status
Not open for further replies.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut

I whipped up some Bubblegum flavored juice, I thought would get nice and perked by some sour flavoring from TFA. The concentration of the malic acid in the sour flavoring is 20%, then I used the flavor at 8% in the juice. I felt like it was a bit too much, almost felt uncomfortable to vape so I added more juice to the one I had made to tone it down. It's probubly more at about 7 or 8 percent now.

Anyways, this led me to a Google search about the effects of inhaling Malic Acid. Here is a link to some of the concerns:
MALIC ACID - National Library of Medicine HSDB Database

Now part of me says "Well we aren't dealing with this in 100%, pure concentrations" and another part of me thinks... "It did bother my breathing a little, let me see if anyone else has experienced a negative side effect with the flavoring"

An exert from the study:

3) INHALATION EXPOSURE: Mild exposure may cause dyspnea, pleuritic chest pain, cough and bronchospasm. Severe inhalation may cause upper airway edema and burns, hypoxia, stridor, pneumonitis, tracheobronchitis, and rarely acute lung injury or persistent pulmonary function abnormalities. Pulmonary dysfunction similar to asthma has been reported.

Am I being a hypochondriac here? Should we be worried about using Malic Acid? What do you think?

Last edited:

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
So your saying the malic acid is in the bubble gum flavor? or all flavorings? or you add this to your flavor?

No Rocky, I added actual sour flavoring(often malic acid), to a bubble gum juice I was making. Did not mean to confuse, I'm not saying bubblegum flavoring has malic acid.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
To clear up confusion of what I'm talking about....

sour2.jpg

I hope this helps. Yes, the malic acid concentration is at 20%, at least with this brand of flavoring that I'm using.

Rin13

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
Ohio
www.youtube.com
I wish I could tell you about the harmful (or otherwise) properties of this ingredient. THe only thing I can say is that I think you used WAY too much. When I've used it, I used it in drops. I've never had any bad reactions with anything I've vaped. Maybe the Malic Acid they're talking about (being harmful) is in it's pure form. A lot of things are harmful in their pure form but not when diluted. Just look at Nicotine itself. It's highly toxic in it's 100% form.

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
I wish I could tell you about the harmful (or otherwise) properties of this ingredient. THe only thing I can say is that I think you used WAY too much. When I've used it, I used it in drops. I've never had any bad reactions with anything I've vaped. Maybe the Malic Acid they're talking about (being harmful) is in it's pure form. A lot of things are harmful in their pure form but not when diluted. Just look at Nicotine itself. It's highly toxic in it's 100% form.

I do think you're absolutely right I used too much lol... I just hate to waste such a great flavor of juice, it's one of my favorites. I guess I just haven't considered that this like menthol, is probubly better in much lower doses. At first I did use a smaller percentage but I didn't get a tangy, sour, pop. I think I'll have to make another bottle altogether and use a small amount of this batch at a time to each new batch of juice.

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
I do think you're absolutely right I used too much lol... I just hate to waste such a great flavor of juice, it's one of my favorites. I guess I just haven't considered that this like menthol, is probubly better in much lower doses. At first I did use a smaller percentage but I didn't get a tangy, sour, pop. I think I'll have to make another bottle altogether and use a small amount of this batch at a time to each new batch of juice.

Whatup with menthol?

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
why don't you take a SMALL amount of what you made an add more of the other ingredients to it? Kind of like what you did before but on a smaller scale. It can be a base flavor of sorts, if you end up liking the result

I should do that, call me a creature of habit... I just normally fix mistakes like this with making another batch :p

I checked my recipe book, the sour was actually at 8% but still wooo. Tasted as if it was much stronger.

Whatup with menthol?

Oh just a comparison. Like you might just not use menthol at a very high percentage(unless you're into that sorta clear your sinuses out real good thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread