Single coil vs dual coil - an unexpected result

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Hey guys.

So I've been using a kanger mow. Used the stock dual coil head for a few days and these were my impressions in short.
Pros: great flavor.
Cons: heats up very fast (duh), very low to none throat hit, starts giving dry hits after a few days, drinks the juice crazy fast

So I made a 2 ohm single coil and put it in. Results:
Stays cool for much longer (duh :D), great strong throat hit on every draw, no dry hits, normal juice consumption, but noticeably weaker flavor.

My full setup is kanger mow, vision spinner 2, organic cotton for the wicks, kanthal for the coil, 50/50 6mg base with few drops of flavoring. Im also using 1 out of 5 airholes.

My questions are:
a) How in the world am i getting this much throat hit with a single coil and almost none with a dual? I was under the impression the dual would hit much harder than a single..
b) Any advice on improving the flavor on the single coil?
c) Do you think i should try to make a dual coil but from my own coils? Could the kanger coils and wicks have been the issue with no throat hits?

Cheers!

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
With a dual you split your heating power between two coils. 30w with one coil is stronger than 30w to two coils. (15w each)

I'm a single coil guy with a regulated mod.

I'm guessing your not using a vv/vw mod. So your ohms are playing into the power level you are achieving. Look into ohms law and battery safety.

Build a single coil at the ohms of the dual. Or close to it. So I'm sure your dual was at least 1 ohm or lower. Try a single coil close to that. The power will be high but you still may not keep up with juice. Flow..find a good middle ground.

Last edited:

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
With a dual you split your heating power between two coils. 30w with one coil is stronger than 30w to two coils. (15w each)

I'm a single coil guy with a regulated mod.

I'm guessing your not using a vv/vw mod. So your ohms are playing into the power level you are achieving. Look into ohms law and battery safety.

Build a single coil at the ohms of the dual. Or close to it. So I'm sure your dual was at least 1 ohm or lower. Try a single coil close to that. The power will be high but you still may not keep up with juice. Flow..find a good middle ground.

Thanks for the reply. I've mentioned im using a Vision Spinner 2, so I am using a VV battery (3.3 to 4.8v , most of the time sitting on 4.3 with this coil).
The original kanger coils were 1.8 (3.6 each), thats why i made a 2ohm one.
What are your experiences with flavor? Do you have any advice to enhance it on a single coil?

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Thanks for the reply. I've mentioned im using a Vision Spinner 2, so I am using a VV battery (3.3 to 4.8v , most of the time sitting on 4.3 with this coil).
What are your experiences with flavor? Do you have any advice to enhance it on a single coil?

Right there. A Vision Spinner can't handle anything on top that's less than around 1.2-1.3 ohms. If you were running dual coils, my guess is that you may have been running your Kanger at something lower than that. Dude, friendly advice - don't run anything under 1.2 ohms on a Vision Spinner. And you WILL get WAY better performance with a single coil running at approx 2.0 ohms. Your battery isn't crying for mercy lol...

As for improving performance with the single coil, you could goof around with different gauges of Kanthal or try the Nico-something wire - the number of wraps your coil has will also change the ohm level and then the flavor and vapor production along with it.

Just keep it between at least 1.5 (To be safe) and 3.0 ohms when you build it, okay? Teeth cost a boatload of money to replace! :)

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Right there. A Vision Spinner can't handle anything on top that's less than around 1.2-1.3 ohms. If you were running dual coils, my guess is that you may have been running your Kanger at something lower than that. Dude, friendly advice - don't run anything under 1.2 ohms on a Vision Spinner. And you WILL get WAY better performance with a single coil running at approx 2.0 ohms. Your battery isn't crying for mercy lol...

As for improving performance with the single coil, you could goof around with different gauges of Kanthal or try the Nico-something wire - the number of wraps your coil has will also change the ohm level and then the flavor and vapor production along with it.

Just keep it between at least 1.5 (To be safe) and 3.0 ohms when you build it, okay? Teeth cost a boatload of money to replace! :)

Thanks, but as I've said in my previous post the kanger was a total of 1.8 ohm and the one I'm currently using I wound to approx 2 ohms. And yes, it is performing far better than the dual in everything but the flavor, which is what I'm asking for advice on :D

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Last thing - I've had dual coil builds running around 0.5 - 0.6 on an RDA, and IMHO, the flavor and vapor production wasn't much different than when I had a single coil at the same ohm level in there. Dual coils, in my opinion, aren't that much of an improvement over single coils - I was really surprised by that, too!

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Last thing - I've had dual coil builds running around 0.5 - 0.6 on an RDA, and IMHO, the flavor and vapor production wasn't much different than when I had a single coil at the same ohm level in there. Dual coils, in my opinion, aren't that much of an improvement over single coils - I was really surprised by that, too!

Maybe no improvement at all once you consider the higher cost and shorter life of dual coils. In tanks anyway.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey guys.

So I've been using a kanger mow. Used the stock dual coil head for a few days and these were my impressions in short.
Pros: great flavor.
Cons: heats up very fast (duh), very low to none throat hit, starts giving dry hits after a few days, drinks the juice crazy fast

So I made a 2 ohm single coil and put it in. Results:
Stays cool for much longer (duh :D), great strong throat hit on every draw, no dry hits, normal juice consumption, but noticeably weaker flavor.

My full setup is kanger mow, vision spinner 2, organic cotton for the wicks, kanthal for the coil, 50/50 6mg base with few drops of flavoring. Im also using 1 out of 5 airholes.

My questions are:
a) How in the world am i getting this much throat hit with a single coil and almost none with a dual? I was under the impression the dual would hit much harder than a single..
b) Any advice on improving the flavor on the single coil?
c) Do you think i should try to make a dual coil but from my own coils? Could the kanger coils and wicks have been the issue with no throat hits?

Cheers!

You just happened to hit on the right gauge and ohm coil with the single coil you made.

If you used a different wire gauge you would have gotten a different result.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL

Oh sorry I guess I skimmed that part.

The difference is probably the amount of wick coverage with the wire. More coverage more flavor to an extent. What gauge were you using???

Plain And simple, for a spinner you should use no lower than 32. I wouldn't.

With 32 you can get a good number of wraps at 2-2.4 and turn the spinner up all the way. Actually if I had a spinner I would use 33 or 34.

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Oh sorry I guess I skimmed that part.

The difference is probably the amount of wick coverage with the wire. More coverage more flavor to an extent. What gauge were you using???

Plain And simple, for a spinner you should use no lower than 32. I wouldn't.

With 32 you can get a good number of wraps at 2-2.4 and turn the spinner up all the way. Actually if I had a spinner I would use 33 or 34.

I used kanthal with a thickness of 20, the kanger heads are narrow and I'm not sure how 30+ would fit in there. Out of curiosity, how would that much thicker wire affect performance? As in, what would change? And why specifically for the spinner not under 32?
Thanks for the suggestion!

@Halophilus I've noticed that too, I'm keeping it at 1 out of 5 airholes and preferring that draw to the airier ones, rarely I use 2 airholes. Feels like everything above is for lung hitters (I'm mouth to lung)

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I've got three protank 2's and three EMOW's. And you know, the duals eat more juice, heat faster and give slightly more vapor. But some juices just don't taste as good in there as the single coils in the PTs. The only downside to the single coils is that they give the burnt taste once in awhile which isn't a big deal once you know what to do about it, but the duals never do that.
So basically, all my fruity and drink flavors go in the protanks and the bakery and sweeter flavors go in the EMOW's. But honestly I usually have 3 tanks going. And it's almost always 2 PT's and one MOW. Oh and everything is around 1.8-2ohm and right around 8W and they're damn near perfect for what I need them for.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I used kanthal with a thickness of 20, the kanger heads are narrow and I'm not sure how 30+ would fit in there. Out of curiosity, how would that much thicker wire affect performance? As in, what would change? And why specifically for the spinner not under 32?
Thanks for the suggestion!

@Halophilus I've noticed that too, I'm keeping it at 1 out of 5 airholes and preferring that draw to the airier ones, rarely I use 2 airholes. Feels like everything above is for lung hitters (I'm mouth to lung)

The reason I say 32g is because of the relatively low power on the spinner. 32 heats faster and you can get a wider more even wick coverage. Its possible to go as low as 30g but it just doesn't work as well
IME.

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
The reason I say 32g is because of the relatively low power on the spinner. 32 heats faster and you can get a wider more even wick coverage. Its possible to go as low as 30g but it just doesn't work as well
IME.

Then it would appear I've sort of accidentally made the coil just right. On a sort of a side note, do you thing Koh Gen Do would noticeably improve the flavor over organic cotton? At the moment I'm happy with everything except how well i taste the juice, this of course may also be to my juice mixing. I put about 7 drops per 8 mil, quite possible i should be putting more. But I've heard so much hype about that cotton I'm thinking it's worth a try?

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread