Some Electrical Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

u_couple

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Hi guys, hopefully someone will be able to help me out here !
I have built a couple of mods using the diagram from raidy`s thread here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...you-even-use-smallest-switch.html#post2106279

I have very little electronics knowledge, so basically followed this diagram to the letter, on one of the mods, I used one of those round head, clicky tactile switches, and added an LED. Both mods work perfectly, apart from the one with the LED, which, as soon as I connect an atomizer, the LED glows, very faintly.
I took it all apart, and re-wired it again, just in case I had a wire touching or something, and it`s still doing it!! every time I connect an atty (and I`ve tried a few) the LED glows very faintly, I`m not clever enough to figure this one out, but hopefully someone here will be able to tell me where I`m going wrong

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
First did you remove the 1k resistor? It is not needed with a tact switch. And dropping the 4M to a 47k resistor between the Gate and Source?
Second where are you adding in the LED? (LED) Ground leg to (Mosfet) Drain leg and (LED) Positive leg to Pos battery?
I.E.
Tact Switch circuit.jpg
Dan

Added, of course the LED resistor is dependent on the battery V, LED V and mA. This is based on a 3.7V battery, 3.2V LED with a max load of 35mA.

Thanks slimest for keeping me inline :)

LED calculator for resistor: http://ledcalculator.net/
Dan

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I think, in the schematic above LED will be burnt in seconds... Needs a resistor in series.

If TS got voltage drop with atomizer connected, the first questions are:
- what mosfet do you use?
- what battery do you use?
- what switch do you use?

LOL I knew I forgot somthing hehehehe.... Will amend.
Dan

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Thanks guys, I`m gonna try again using the above diagram, much appreciated

Can I just ask Dan, in the above diagram, are you wiring the pos leg of the LED to the pos wire, and putting the 15k resistor on the neg leg?

Correct, pos leg of LED to pos of battery and neg leg of LED to resistor, resistor to Drain from mosfet.
What is the mosfet part number by the way?
Dan

slimest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2011
Russia, Moscow
ecigroom.myqip.ru
u_couple, as far as I understand your LED glows OK without atomizer and gets dim after atomizer connection. If so, your system loses voltage somewhere. If you use correct MOSFET, you should concider bad contacts in power circuit, bad battery (yes, some batteries have high internal resistance and cannot supply high currents) or bad switch. Your switsh has to supply maximum voltage on MOSFET gate, it should be the same as battery voltage. If not, MOSFET does not open fully, and you loose voltage on output.
In any case you can use any voltmeter to troubleshoot. No need in special knoledge, just logic.
Hope, my bad english is clear enough.

Scubabatdan, you can afford to forget something. You give great help to many people :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread