Starting point for flavoring percentages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
OK so my DIY gear is due soon, and I got a bunch of flavors to play around with. But as far as percentages to add, I've seen anywhere from 5-20%. I figure I'm gonna start w/ 10% total flavoring and then sample. And for combos w/ 2 flavors like the blueberry / vanilla, I was gonna do 5% of each to stick w/ the 10% total. This is probably a little low by some ppl's methods, but I need a starting point. Does anyone have a system for baseline flavor percentages?

The thing I'm wondering about is if the the flavor is weak, and how you'd have to add more, and then hopefully get an accurate re-sample of the modifications. I just envision it being a hassle if it tastes a little off and then trying to tweak it afterwards. For this reason I'm probably gonna be sticking w/ 5 mL test batches. I'd really love to nail down something solid w/ the blueberry / vanilla ice-cream, and make like a 60 mL surplus. I can't wait to get this show on the road!

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
It really depends on the flavor. You need to research the particular flavor to find out what the recommended percentage is. It will usually be displayed as a range (5 - 10%) start with the lowest recommended percent and add more in 1% increments if needed after proper steeping. You will eventually get the hang of how much to use as adjustments as you gain experience. It is also advisable to mix and sample each individual flavor before combining flavors.

May I recommend some required reading.

Read my blogs before getting started

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

then read hoosier's blogs.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

Last edited:

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
You can find most of what you are looking for in the sticky threads at the top of the page. All brands of flavorings are different and even flavors within a brand can be. I spent many weeks reading everything I could on this forum along with the blogs suggested before I started mixing anything. I have only been mixing a couple of weeks so I will leave the rest for the veterans. Good advice I received is start simple. Mix single flavors to get the percentage you like first. Good luck to you!

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
Mix up some flavorless designed for 2% flavor.

Take out 5mg. Either figure up your drops or guess 2 drops is 2%. If it ends up too strong you can cut it by 50% and have 10ml. If it's weak you can add more flavor.

The 2% flavor mixes also work good for testing flavor mixes.
What a great way to do it! Have PG/VG/Nic premixed and just add flavor. Why didn't I think of that?

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
Have PG/VG/Nic premixed and just add flavor.
This is what I was planning on doing. I was gonna take 120 mL of 60mg nic base, add 120 mL PG, and 60 mL of VG.. This would give me 300 mL of 24mg at a thin 80/20 ratio, and after adding 10-20% flavoring the nic. strength would come down to 19-22mg.. And then I can always add a bit more VG if I see it fit.. I'm sure I will w/ a small test batch, to see the characteristics of a higher ratio.. But the thing is, when I make that initial 300 mL batch of unflavored mix, I hope it stores OK cuz that's gonna last me a WHILE. I'd say 4-5 months, so I hope it keeps that long.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
What a great way to do it! Have PG/VG/Nic premixed and just add flavor. Why didn't I think of that?

Rarely do my final mixes come out the same percentage, plus different flavors need steeped. But it's good for trying out new flavors to get an idea. Wish I would've followed it for Mango and Lemon, not that they're terrible but I sure didn't need 10ml of them as single flavors.

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
I was just looking at the flavoring descriptions on Flavor Shots where I ordered from, and for a lot of the flavors I got (the natural ones apparently), they recommend to use 20% flavoring and to go from there. That seems a little high to me, no? Anyone have any feedback from Vapor Shots? If I'm gonna use 2 flavors, I'm definitely breaking the 20% in half between the 2 - no way am I gonna OVER 20% total w/o first sampling the stuff. Any one ever go over 20% total flavorings on their DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread