Study: Snus more effective & prevalent for quitting smoking than NRT among Nordic men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
A new study (abstract and link to full text below) found that snus (despite being demonized by anti-tobacco extremists and government health agencies worldwide) has helped far more Norwegian men quit smoking than have NRT products, and that snus has been more effective for smoking cessation than the use of NRT products (despite drug industry funded anti-tobacco groups and government health agencies aggressively urging smokers to use NRT products to quit smoking).

I strongly suggest folks read the full text of this article, as the abstract only scratches the surface of the study's many important findings.

Bill Godshall
- - -

The use of snus for quitting smoking compared with medicinal products

Nicotine & tobacco Research Advance Access published online on July 9, 2010
Karl Erik Lund, Ph.D., Ann McNeill, Ph.D. and Janne Scheffels, Ph.D.
The use of snus for quitting smoking compared with medicinal products -- Lund et al., 10.1093/ntr/ntq105 -- Nicotine & Tobacco Research
Full text of article at:
The use of snus for quitting smoking compared with medicinal products -- Lund et al., 10.1093/ntr/ntq105 -- Nicotine & Tobacco Research

[SIZE=+0]Abstract[/SIZE]

Introduction: Given there are few experimental studies comparing the effects of snus and medicinal products for quitting smoking, self-reports from smokers who have used different methods for quitting smoking can be informative.
Methods: Fourteen thousand seven hundred and forty-four Norwegian men aged between 20 and 50 years were selected at random from a national representative web panel and sent a questionnaire by E-mail. Of the 7,170 (48.6%) who responded, there were 1,775 former and 1,808 current smokers. They were asked about the method they used and the outcome of their last attempt to quit smoking.
Results: In a regression model in which education, number of previous attempts to quit smoking, perception of risk, and age were controlled for, the odds ratio (OR) for reporting total abstinence at the time of the survey was significantly higher for those who had used varenicline (OR = 4.95, p < .006) and snus (OR = 2.68, p < .001) compared with those who had used nicotine chewing gum (reference OR = 1). For smokers who reported that they had tried to quit with the help of snus, 62.4% reported that they still used snus at the time of the survey either daily (43.8%) or occasionally (18.6%). The proportion who still used medicinal nicotine products at the time of the survey was 9.5%.
Discussion: Compared with medicinal nicotine products, snus and varenicline increased the probability of quitting smoking completely, but snus seemed to maintain nicotine dependence.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Great post and read Bill. There are a couple points that I believe they miss in their analysis and part of that would be applicable to E-cigs also.

The medical community does not recommend products like the PV or snus. In the case of snus they mention the elevated risks of pancreatic cancer (delta 4/100K over never smokers) and esophagus cancer (which I haven't seen the risk assessment) as reasons not to recommend the product as opposed to Pharma products like Chantix. I personally wouldn't even try Chantix based on the side effects list.

Anyway, without the support of the medical community, snus is much more successful that most of the products on the market. Mentioned was that the nicotine levels are limited in Pharma products. What nobody seems to understand in the medical community is that nicotine is not the only alkaloid in tobacco that may make snus easier to use to get off cigarettes. E-cigs got me seriously cut back from my 40-60 cigarette a day habit, but left something lacking. Snus fulfilled what was missing to the point that my PV is basically there for the hand to mouth habit in certain situations where I have found it hard to separate the habit from the situation (having a drink at the local watering hole for instance).

The second point is, and I'll use Sweden as the example, how are smokers finding out about snus or E-cigs for that matter? It certainly isn't the medical community in Sweden telling these folks about the benefit, they're selling the failed products. In many cases, the smokers have tried these failed products and either look for something else or just stop trying. However, people are moving to snus because people are talking about it and they are talking about their personal success.

I may not be where I am today had it not been for this forum. I bought the wrong product first and would probably be back on cigarettes if I had not found this in cyberspace. My second buy was the right combination of products to get down to a half dozen cigarettes and snus cleared the way to cigarette abstinence.

I'm not sure how my gf heard about them, but I had given up trying after countless quit attempts. After a years journey, I'm 5+ months smoke free and feeling great. All the counseling most people need is a forum to ask questions and the ability to listen. That might not be science, but it is fact.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Per inquiry by rothenbj, snus is part of the culture in Sweden and Norway, so word of mouth among male snus users and smokers has driven the increased use of snus.

A published comparison of lab findings for Swedish snus, Star's Ariva (dissolvable tobacco lozenges) and GSK's Commit nicotine lozenge is at:
http://www.starscientific.com/404/stepanov tsna in.pdf

And a comparison of lab findings for Camel Snus, Marlboro Snus, Star's Ariva and GSK's Commit is at: http://static.mgnetwork.com/rtd/pdfs/20090712_toba.pdf

Epidimiologic studies have found that snus isn't associated with mouth cancer (yet the recently enacted FSPTCA requires warnings on the products that claim such), and that it poses somewhat similar (i.e. very low) health risks as moist oral smokeless tobacco (e.g. Skoal, Copenhagen, Grizzly) and chewing tobacco sold in the US
Effect of smokeless tobacco (snus) on smoking and public health in Sweden -- Foulds et al. 12 (4): 349 -- Tobacco Control
Harm Reduction Journal | Full text | Tobacco harm reduction: an alternative cessation strategy for inveterate smokers
http://nzhta.chmeds.ac.nz/publications/smokeless_tobacco.pdf
http://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/pubs/contents/e226ee0c-ccef-4dba-b62f-86f046371dfb.pdf
THR2010. (tobaccoharmreduction.org) (see chapter 9)

Many snus users in the US have complained that Camel Snus (and especially Marlboro Snus) don't emit as much nicotine as most Swedish snus (to satisfy their cravings), and don't taste as pleasant or desirable as most Swedish snus products.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
OK, all together now. Since we don't need lighters anymore, we will open our cell phones for light and hold them up in the air. Sway back and forth.

Sing:

"All we are saying
is give truth a chance."

(To the tune of Give Peace a Chance)

I'm impressed that nobody needed to ask what G.I.G.O. stands for.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
Per inquiry by rothenbj, snus is part of the culture in Sweden and Norway, so word of mouth among male snus users and smokers has driven the increased use of snus.

A published comparison of lab findings for Swedish snus, Star's Ariva (dissolvable tobacco lozenges) and GSK's Commit nicotine lozenge is at:
http://www.starscientific.com/404/stepanov tsna in.pdf

And a comparison of lab findings for Camel Snus, Marlboro Snus, Star's Ariva and GSK's Commit is at: http://static.mgnetwork.com/rtd/pdfs/20090712_toba.pdf

Epidimiologic studies have found that snus isn't associated with mouth cancer (yet the recently enacted FSPTCA requires warnings on the products that claim such), and that it poses somewhat similar (i.e. very low) health risks as moist oral smokeless tobacco (e.g. Skoal, Copenhagen, Grizzly) and chewing tobacco sold in the US
Effect of smokeless tobacco (snus) on smoking and public health in Sweden -- Foulds et al. 12 (4): 349 -- Tobacco Control
Harm Reduction Journal | Full text | Tobacco harm reduction: an alternative cessation strategy for inveterate smokers
http://nzhta.chmeds.ac.nz/publications/smokeless_tobacco.pdf
http://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/pubs/contents/e226ee0c-ccef-4dba-b62f-86f046371dfb.pdf
THR2010. (tobaccoharmreduction.org) (see chapter 9)

Many snus users in the US have complained that Camel Snus (and especially Marlboro Snus) don't emit as much nicotine as most Swedish snus (to satisfy their cravings), and don't taste as pleasant or desirable as most Swedish snus products.

So true, I wish I could find Swedish snus locally. Being a cheapo, paying that shipping cost is a bit daunting. I also currently live in South Dakota so it isn't even an option really as they don't allow us to order tobacco online. I would love to try the strong mint or fruit versions. I think it would help me so much.

I have tried Camel snus and it didn't seem to have any effect. The mint tastes good but not the regular stuff. It was awful. Either way, it's completely pointless if it doesn't satisfy or ease the craving.

Kanlee

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
S/W.Missouri
So true, I wish I could find Swedish snus locally. Being a cheapo, paying that shipping cost is a bit daunting. I also currently live in South Dakota so it isn't even an option really as they don't allow us to order tobacco online. I would love to try the strong mint or fruit versions. I think it would help me so much.

I have tried Camel snus and it didn't seem to have any effect. The mint tastes good but not the regular stuff. It was awful. Either way, it's completely pointless if it doesn't satisfy or ease the craving.
I used it for two years but always wished I could still smoke.I always had to have something to drink with it irritated my throat.
There is a place in PA. Get Snus at GetSnus.com. The US based online snus store

Phayah

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
US
I used it for two years but always wished I could still smoke.I always had to have something to drink with it irritated my throat.
There is a place in PA. Get Snus at GetSnus.com. The US based online snus store

Unfortunately, I can't order tobacco online (and out of state) in the state of South Dakota. If you look on their website you'll see that South Dakota is not listed in the drop down menu. I think there is another state or two that's like this too.

I might be able to ship it to my mother in Alabama and have her send it to me but I'm fairly certain that is still illegal. It would also be a bit of a hassle to do all that. So stupid...

I called all the local tobacco stores and they don't carry it. One store offered to order some but I hate to do that when I don't even know if I'll like it or use it on a regular basis. I could see a market for it here though, considering no one sells it and I'm betting it's way better than Camel/Marlboro. Those don't seem to have enough punch to match a cigarette.

Hopefully, in a few years we will move somewhere else. My husband is military so we probably won't be here too long. And... hopefully, they won't start considering e liquid as a tobacco product because I will definitely be screwed then.

Thanks for the link though. I will keep it in mind for the future. =D

Last edited:

Kanlee

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
S/W.Missouri
Unfortunately, I can't order tobacco online (and out of state) in the state of South Dakota. If you look on their website you'll see that South Dakota is not listed in the drop down menu. I think there is another state or two that's like this too.

I might be able to ship it to my mother in Alabama and have her send it to me but I'm fairly certain that is still illegal. It would also be a bit of a hassle to do all that. So stupid...

I called all the local tobacco stores and they don't carry it. One store offered to order some but I hate to do that when I don't even know if I'll like it or use it on a regular basis. I could see a market for it here though, considering no one sells it and I'm betting it's way better than Camel/Marlboro. Those don't seem to have enough punch to match a cigarette.

Hopefully, in a few years we will move somewhere else. My husband is military so we probably won't be here too long. And... hopefully, they won't start considering e liquid as a tobacco product because I will definitely be screwed then.

Thanks for the link though. I will keep it in mind for the future. =D
I have some in cellar if you PM me with add.I can send you a can or two as soon as I can get around to it.
As for Marlboro I used the red lettered can for just one with my coffee in morning otherwise to sweet and flavored for rest of day to me.
There are all dif kinds of flavored tob.tasting snus,and strength.some peppery,or anise or licorice tasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread