stupid coil question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin & Sennie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
How long should a coil last? Until this one I was rebuilding it every 2-3 days unless I was bored and wanted to play at which time I would make a new coil. Usually a dual low ohm coil last twice as long flavor wise and a regular coil. This last 1 however has lasted about a week so far. I am not even sure if I know when it needs replacing so they probably should last longer than I am keeping them but I haven't a clue. How long should they last and how do I know besides the obvious wire breaking that it needs replaced?

aarhus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Aarhus, Denmark
I've been wondering that myself. I've never had a coil go bad on me (if it was built properly). I've always ended up taking them apart to try something else. Some have said they've gone six weeks, and still no failure.

I typically change them every 1-2 weeks, but it's not necessary. Remove wick, dry-burn, rewick, done. Within 5 minutes.

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA
I'd say try to resist building a new one and find out. Yeah right, I haven't been able to do it either. I have 3 wire sizes to try to figure the one I like best then order a couple hundred feet of it. And these damn coils just last too long. I'm kinda digging this .9 ohm 28 gauge Kanthal but I'm sure it will be torn down before long to try something else. It's one of the beautiful things about the Reo and RM2 you can fine tune your vape via your build.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Probably just my imagination; but I always find a fresh build to be significantly more vibrant and flavorful. Coils seem to last a week to two months for others. I'm sure it depends upon the amperage you're drawing through it.

I like the crack and pop sounds a new coil makes. My coils never make it past a couple days use. I can't resist the urge to fiddle.

Hiding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
I'm on week 6 with a .8ohm .7mmx.1mm (~29awg) flat kanthal coil

Sad to report I had to recoil yesterday, not because the coil popped, but I let my wick get so gunked up, it fell apart and I couldn't get the pieces out of the center of the coil enough to replace the wick without wrecking the coil.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
Sad to report I had to recoil yesterday, not because the coil popped, but I let my wick get so gunked up, it fell apart and I couldn't get the pieces out of the center of the coil enough to replace the wick without wrecking the coil.

That is what happens to me all the time.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
It depends...standard coil around silica might last two or three weeks (until the silica starts to disintegrate). Micro-coil and cotton...I have one going on a month and two more that are about two weeks old. I'm using Rene 41 in all of them at the moment with some 30 awg Kanthal in my dedicated dripper...I'll see how long I can take them.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
My juices gunk coils pretty fast. Sometimes I can go over a day without dryburning but the norm is daily, especially if I'm using only one REO.

Some things that help..
- Pull as much of cotton wick out as possible without disturbing the coil. (30 ga Kanthal and thicker hold form better than 32 AND if there is much resistance pulling cotton out it's likely you are using too much cotton.)
-Any remaining natural fiber can be cremated and blown out dryburning.
-Use a q-tip (swab) to soak excesive juice out of ceramic base before dryburn. An edge of kleenix or paper towel works well.
-While coil is cooling, if a sink is close by, it helps to run cap, with DT attached, if you want, under hot water, and then swabbed out with paper towel or such. My pinky fits into cap but a lot of peeps have bigger fingers. At any rate the rinse out removes some gunk that may make coils gunk faster.
-Be sure to have something in sink to catch dropped parts from going down drain.

Feisty Alice

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I hope my coils last forever but 6 weeks would be good! Dry burning and new cotton is good enough for me. ymmv

I have a 30 ga microcoil on my workhorse Mini 2.0 that has been going about 6 weeks. And it's the coil I back wrapped a couple loops as experiment. It gets a dryburn and rewick with cotton at least every two days. Beyond impressive!!!!!!

It's about 1.5-1.6 ohms if that makes any difference.

Feisty Alice

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Not sure if this helps or if this is already part of your coil maintenance, but when I dry burn my coil, I also take the end of a paperclip to the coil itself and scrape the residue off the coil. Just dry burning takes a lot longer and sometimes you don't get all of the gunk off. I'm still trying to figure out why my coils are lasting so long.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Not sure if this helps or if this is already part of your coil maintenance, but when I dry burn my coil, I also take the end of a paperclip to the coil itself and scrape the residue off the coil. Just dry burning takes a lot longer and sometimes you don't get all of the gunk off. I'm still trying to figure out why my coils are lasting so long.

Yes, I think that helps. I'll use the flat end of a screwdriver on the outside and I'll push a drill bit or syringe through the center to clear that out.

Even without the above though my Kanthal coils look almost brand new after dryburning. My Rene 41 coils, however, remain very, very dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread