Subox Mini Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSWoods95

Sep 5, 2015
I've been using my subox Mini for a few days now. I'm wondering about charging using the micro USB port. The instructions say at full charge the oled screen will turn off. After many hours showing a full battery the screen never turned off. Also, on the down side... has anyone ever used the battery long enough to drain it to the point where the indicator flashes? Do I really need to buy a separate charger?

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
I've been using my Subox Mini for a few days now. I'm wondering about charging using the micro USB port. The instructions say at full charge the oled screen will turn off. After many hours showing a full battery the screen never turned off. Also, on the down side... has anyone ever used the battery long enough to drain it to the point where the indicator flashes? Do I really need to buy a separate charger?
i have recommended the subox kit to a number of folks - and i always recommend an extra battery and an external charger (can get a 2-bay nitecore d2 for about $15 from illumn.com) - i will use the usb charging in a pinch, but much prefer external charger - safer, prolongs battery life IMO

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming those with no removable battery will have a charge system set for that battery. With removable batteries there are many different factors that will effect charge. (MAH & amps) again, someone please correct me, this has been my reasoning for using dedicated charger.
With no removable battery, you don't have an option... With a removable battery, you have a safer option available - ultimately, it's your choice - personally, I prefer the external charger, from the standpoint of more safety redundancy in external charger circuitry

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: EBates

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
It's because these devices are cheap. Look at the ipv4, they tend to catch fire when used as a charger. People even remove the charging circuit board entirely on that device. There was a smok m80 that caught fire while charging and burned a bed carpet and wall that was posted here last week. When you use the internal charger, heat build up, coupled with cheap circuitry and design flaws, can lead to your home being a total loss. It's entirely up to you if you want to take that risk, but for 15 dollars... Is it worth it?

The difference between your cellphone battery and these batteries are these are high drain, very temperamental batteries. Your cellphones battery is not. Though, I did have an htc evo catch fire in my pocket and burn a hole through my jeans.

And as for the istick batteries and whatnot, there's less chance of risk with those because the charging circuit is made for that specific battery. Whereas with a removable battery there are many types of batteries.

A dedicated charger has protective circuitry that the mod doesn't. It's made of fire ......ant materials, and the mod may not be. Its a risk that you're going to have to evaluate for yourself and make a decision. Look up these batteries, they are used in high powered flash lights for diving and there's a whole community of people who have been using them for longer than us. Read their threads, accidents, opinions.

Reactions: LeahB

LeahB

Verified Member
Sep 2, 2015
Huntsville, AL
It's because these devices are cheap. Look at the ipv4, they tend to catch fire when used as a charger. People even remove the charging circuit board entirely on that device. There was a smok m80 that caught fire while charging and burned a bed carpet and wall that was posted here last week. When you use the internal charger, heat build up, coupled with cheap circuitry and design flaws, can lead to your home being a total loss. It's entirely up to you if you want to take that risk, but for 15 dollars... Is it worth it?

The difference between your cellphone battery and these batteries are these are high drain, very temperamental batteries. Your cellphones battery is not. Though, I did have an htc evo catch fire in my pocket and burn a hole through my jeans.

Ans as for the istick batteries and whatnot, there's less chance of risk with those because the charging circuit is made for that specific battery. Whereas with a removable battery there are many types of batteries.
Good to know. Not that I would anyway, I have back ups, but I def won't be charging with my ipv4! (I tossed the charging cable to remove the temptation, lol)

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
Good to know. Not that I would anyway, I have back ups, but I def won't be charging with my ipv4! (I tossed the charging cable to remove the temptation, lol)
The charging board inside gets squished by the positive pin on the 510 and causes a short, you should look up removing it entirely.

LeahB

Verified Member
Sep 2, 2015
Huntsville, AL
The charging board inside gets squished by the positive pin on the 510 and causes a short, you should look up removing it entirely.
Think I may do that. Thanks! I'm about to get the ipv d2. Don't plan on charging with it either, but do you think I'd be better off to go ahead and pull that one too? (I kinda like the ipv, but I'm open to other, affordable, small, rugged box to carry everywhere. Pm me for suggestions if you have any)

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
The design flaw is only with the ipv4, the d2 is completely different and should be fine. The 4s fixed the problem with the 4. Because of the 4, everyone is like looking at the charging board design more with ipv to make sure it doesn't happen again. I wouldn't remove every charging board from my devices because they do come in handy in a pinch, but I wouldn't make it a habit of using it. I like the d2 but it doesn't have usb, so you would have to carry the charger with you to use it, and I would rather just carry a spare battery.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Here's a $5.95 charger. I bought it for travel but it's nice and compact so I use it on the kitchen counter as well.

XTAR MC1 USB Battery Charger
I have a similar one so I can charge off a portable power bank, works great, 10,000mah power bank I can get 4 charges, although I do have 8 VTC4's (use them in my 70w flashlight too) so that's more for an off grid hiking/tenting situation :D

Getek New Skyray King High-power Super Bright CREE XM-L 7X T6 Led Flashlight Torch Lamp (9000LM Gold) - - Amazon.com

I've often thought of converting it to a quad 510 vape pen but one can only dream lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread