Suggest an upgrade for Vamo V5 to go with EHpro Kayfun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I've had my kayfun on my current Vamo V5 for just over a week now and everything is going great. The one thing that bugs me is the overall appearance. While I love the look of the mech mods with the kayfun (esp the shorter ones), I am not ready to go that route. I'm looking for something that meshes flush with the EHpro kayfun lite. Preferably VV/VW, and I'm considering picking up a nano kit as well. Thoughts, suggestions or recommendations?

In my Kayfun I've got a single coil, 28 gauge Kanthal, 1.2 -1.7 ohms (I bounce around alot with wraps, right now its 10 wraps around a 5/16th screw driver). typically with organic cotton wicks, but I'm trying a cotton yarn/wick from Cloud chasers on amazon.

Thanks for the help

~Mrez

tomsa34

Moved On
Jul 29, 2014
JAcksonville, Fl
We have two kayfuns both on ss nemesis clones. I know you said you prefer vv or vw but consider the fact that you can adjust your vape by changing the coil. Also it looks damn sexy, and fits great thanks to the adjustable 510. The vamo looks good for kayfuns to in the vv vw category, just not my cup of tea .

Good luck!|

EDIT: Sorry missed the part where you already have a vamo lol

matter

Jul 31, 2014
Santa Fe, NM
It seems you are concerned about appearance over performance. That's not a bad thing, just a preference. I don't know how you feel about a VW box, but I just ordered a Pioneer4you IPV2. It's a 50W box in black or silver. I am sure it will get skins in short time. It takes a single 18650 (30A) battery. I have seen them on ebay for as low as $79 pre-order. I got mine through eciggity with a 10% coupon code for $89. They have already raised their price. Others out there are charging as much as $149. It has a USB port for charging, but I plan to rotate batteries and avoid charging in the box itself. Worth checking out if you don't mind the look of a box.

Budkiss

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Alabama
I HAD the Vamo v5 and I really loved it. I used Kanger tanks and coils. THEN I discovered the ipv2 50 watt box mod. I got it 7/21 and I confess... I am HOOKED!
I still use my kanger mega (1.5 ohm) from time to time but now I build coils that can do so much more.
The Vamo v5 was limited to 15 w and down to 1.3 ohms. The IPV2 can go to .2 and up to 50 w.

My fogger 4.4 and kaiser and Patriot are now a blank slate. I can build just about anything now and my IPV is so easy to adjust for the coil I have.

Today for instance I built a twisted 28 gauge kanthal a1 dual coil for my patriot (came to .45 ohms). I can hit that baby at 50 watts. Its hot, yes and the clouds are big, sure... but my sweet spot is aorund 1.0 dual coil build. Couldn't do that on a Vamo (or with Kanger)

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
My Kayfuns look really nice on my SVD. Nice balance especially in (2) 18350 mode. VTR is good also if you cut the ring off. Heavy as a brick though...

Is this the mod you were referring to? innokin-itaste-svd-variable-voltage-wattage-mod and by 18350 mod, that i am assuming is the smaller battery? How long does it last in that mode? Does your kayfun sit flush with it, or does it bulge out?

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
It seems you are concerned about appearance over performance. That's not a bad thing, just a preference. I don't know how you feel about a VW box, but I just ordered a Pioneer4you IPV2. It's a 50W box in black or silver. I am sure it will get skins in short time. It takes a single 18650 (30A) battery. I have seen them on ebay for as low as $79 pre-order. I got mine through eciggity with a 10% coupon code for $89. They have already raised their price. Others out there are charging as much as $149. It has a USB port for charging, but I plan to rotate batteries and avoid charging in the box itself. Worth checking out if you don't mind the look of a box.

Yeah, gotta admit appearance is a thing. I like pretty things, what can I say. My current vamo is a gun metal gray and its all banged up, but the gape at the beauty ring and the beveled edge just make me nuts. I've got a few B&Ms nearby that carry diffierent box mods and they do nothing for me, what exactly is the appeal on them?

Last edited:

Mrez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
I had a Vamo V5 as well. I use both the Ehpro Kafun and a russian 91%. I bought a Segelei 20W and they both proform and look nice too! The 20w is so much better in my opinion compared the the Vamo. No pulse width modulation. You will definatly see and feel the difference. Just a suggestion.

What exactly does the pulse width modulation mean? I was looking at the Segelei earlier and in the smaller version it looked nice with the kayfun.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mrez wrote:

I've had my Kayfun on my current Vamo V5 for just over a week now and everything is going great. The one thing that bugs me is the overall appearance. While I love the look of the mech mods with the Kayfun (esp the shorter ones), I am not ready to go that route. I'm looking for something that meshes flush with the EHpro Kayfun lite. Preferably VV/VW, and I'm considering picking up a nano kit as well. Thoughts, suggestions or recommendations?

In my Kayfun I've got a single coil, 28 gauge Kanthal, 1.2 -1.7 ohms (I bounce around alot with wraps, right now its 10 wraps around a 5/16th screw driver). typically with organic cotton wicks, but I'm trying a cotton yarn/wick from Cloud chasers on amazon.

Thanks for the help

~Mrez

On my Provari and on my Sigelei Zmax V3, the Kayfun leaves a small gap between the bottom of the atomizer and the top of the mod. It's about 1/6", maybe a little less.

Budkiss

Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Alabama

Jwraps has a nice black carbon skin for 18 and VaporSkinz is about to release their skin for same price. I am getting the Black Mamba or Black Carbon fiber.
It will look much like the Variant by Viscous Ant when done. (Wont protect for a big fall but will help with scratches)

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Lets get your horse in front of the cart first. How do you want your KF to perform? Only then can we start talking about how it looks.
    I've tried the KF set up a lot of different ways. My favorite BY FAR is sitting on top of an Evolv Kick-2. Which is both a step up & step down VW regulator. (unlike a DNA board which is only step up) Set @ 10w my KF only requires 3.5v (see the problem?)

I use the KF 3.1 instead of the light. My setup is the Nemesis, kick-2, and 18500 IMR battery.
    But, first I figured out how to get what I wanted from my KF, then I looked for the PV that would do that best.
    P1010470_zpsa6cf2916.jpg

And yes, the KF 3.1 is HUGE

Last edited:

tomsa34

Moved On
    Jul 29, 2014
    JAcksonville, Fl
    To be honest, how I pick a mod/tank/ whole rig is like this; I first choose whether I want stainless or brass or copper or w/e, then I choose the style of tank or mod I want THEN I narrow it down to see what fits my style. It is alot easier to do this with mech mods. Have you considered getting an EvOlv Kick? I think they run right around $20 US give or take. What it does is gives you VW on most mech mods. It is something to consider and will make matching that kayfun alot easier. I am looking into a kick now for my wifes ehpro kayfun on her ss nemesis clone (whole rig was right around 65-70 at a local shop which isn't bad).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread