Status
Not open for further replies.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
I mean C'Mon. With ability to write something this good why would you bother linking to Carl Phillips. I get that you get it. Bill Wilson was the greatest social architect of our times- IMHO. He created, along with the help of many others in all the pertinent fields, a paradigm to solve one particular problem- namely alcoholism. It is not the panacea be all end all. We all know that. There are now over 300, 12 step programs that deal with all kinds of "addictive maladies." Bill was obviously onto something. This paradigm is very workable and does create "universalities" in the field. I guess that is what I am trying to say.

Thanks for the discussion. I think we have no disagreement. I remain open minded. I am not trying to be "judgmental" in any way.

No offense here, but that statement is a disagreement, and seems to be both quite closed-minded and judgemental.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I know we are all different yet if sharing the path I took helps others quit smoking then I am glad to share and help.
This.

That is exactly what is so great about this forum, and the opportunity everyone has to express what THEY did to quit smoking.
And it's exactly because we are all different, with different wants and needs, and different things we got from smoking.

One has to find out what works for THEM, but can find suggestions and experiences from those that seem like them, or share the same struggles...
Be that the equipment they need, the approach they take, or the mindset they need.

--Some need more throat hit
--Some need more vaper
--Some need more flavor
--Some need to find something that tastes like a cigarette
--Some need to find something that makes them forget all about the taste of cigarettes
--Some need less fiddling
--Some need more nicotine
--Some need less nicotine
--Some need WTA
--Some need to wean slowly off the cigarettes
--Some need to get rid of all cigarettes and never touch another
--Some need to have cigarettes around and tell themselves they can have one whenever they want
--Some need to find the right flavor that works for them

It's just when anyone says "This is what you NEED to do" that I get seriously angry.
Because that's a bunch of crap.
:)

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
No offense here, but that statement is a disagreement, and seems to be both quite closed-minded and judgemental.

Just like your statement? Na na na na na, na.

Struck a chord, huh?

It's dificult to have an indepth dialogue on an internet chat board.

Too many people here concerned about their throat hit...:facepalm:

Last edited:
Funny, long ago, whenever I'd light up a smoke, an old and lovely aunt of mine would say, "You gotta get your fix, don't you?" Clearly, she saw it as addiction, whereas I probably had myself convinced I was just relaxing with a smoke. Until years later when I tried to quit. Got real good at quitting, man. lol

vaping for me is, or seems to me personally, as a better alternative. Not really sure if "I quit smoking" is the totally honest thing to say, even though I haven't had a cig in over a year. Still love that nic, though it's down to just a tad these days.

Oh who the hell am I kidding. If not for vaping I'd be pulling other people's half-smoked butts out of ashtrays and rolling big fat cigars with them. Hello, my name is Tranquility Base, and I'm an addict.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
This.

That is exactly what is so great about this forum, and the opportunity everyone has to express what THEY did to quit smoking.
And it's exactly because we are all different, with different wants and needs, and different things we got from smoking.

One has to find out what works for THEM, but can find suggestions and experiences from those that seem like them, or share the same struggles...
Be that the equipment they need, the approach they take, or the mindset they need.

--Some need more throat hit
--Some need more vaper
--Some need more flavor
--Some need to find something that tastes like a cigarette
--Some need to find something that makes them forget all about the taste of cigarettes
--Some need less fiddling
--Some need more nicotine
--Some need less nicotine
--Some need WTA
--Some need to wean slowly off the cigarettes
--Some need to get rid of all cigarettes and never touch another
--Some need to have cigarettes around and tell themselves they can have one whenever they want
--Some need to find the right flavor that works for them
These are all the same thing though. All are under the cessation/addiction umbrella.

It's just when anyone says "This is what you NEED to do" that I get seriously angry. No one is telling anyone what to do here. Vaping got me off of analogs. Whoopie! I am trying to discuss the underlying reason why cessation is so difficult for most whether it be from analogs or from vaping which is what the OP contemplated. That's all.
Because that's a bunch of crap.

Not sure if this was indirectly directed at me so thought I would pipe up.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Funny, long ago, whenever I'd light up a smoke, an old and lovely aunt of mine would say, "You gotta get your fix, don't you?" Clearly, she saw it as addiction, whereas I probably had myself convinced I was just relaxing with a smoke. Until years later when I tried to quit. Got real good at quitting, man. lol

Vaping for me is, or seems to me personally, as a better alternative. Not really sure if "I quit smoking" is the totally honest thing to say, even though I haven't had a cig in over a year. Still love that nic, though it's down to just a tad these days.

Oh who the hell am I kidding. If not for vaping I'd be pulling other people's half-smoked butts out of ashtrays and rolling big fat cigars with them. Hello, my name is Tranquility Base, and I'm an addict.

Agree, me too. People here get extremely bent when you say the word addiction and it applies to all of us. They completely miss the point, lost in their "does notapply to me" addiction. Perhaps this is for another thread though:facepalm:

Trailz

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2014
NE OH US
Before our vacation this past labor day, I grabbed a Blu starter kit so that I could try it and use it while driving. I was smoking a cig at the first stop. Ran into a couple at our hotel pool during the vaca who had what I later learned are mech and box mods. Couldn't believe the vapor they were producing. Learned they owned a vape shop in town and said they could get me set up with a starter kit. We left town before they opened and I wasn't able to stop in. In the next city I found a vape shop. Went in knowing nothing and walked out with an Aerotank mini on top of an EVOD VV 1300 mAh ego style battery. At that point I realized it would work. My wife asked if I could wait to quit cigs until we got home and I continued a bit of both during the rest if our trip.

We arrived home on a Friday and that Sunday was my last cig. My wife couldn't believe it an said I was making it look easy. Ive acquired different tanks and a few batteries over the past couple months and built my 1st dropper last night.

I to consider it an alternative and a great one at that.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Not sure if this was indirectly directed at me so thought I would pipe up.
As long as you are willing to consider things other than nicotine as being an issue with quitting smoking, I'm good with it for the most part.
Even if you do insist on calling those other things an "addiction" which I'm not totally on board with, but sort of get your point.

I'm not sure I'd even bother to argue it, although others certainly will and should.

Clarifying what this whole 'smoking" thing was all about, and what this whole "vaping" thing is all about is certainly not irrelevant.
But it wold definitely take more time and effort than spouting the brainwashed conclusions of the last few decades of anti-smoking crap.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
As long as you are willing to consider things other than nicotine as being an issue with quitting smoking, I'm good with it for the most part. Indeed I agree.
Even if you do insist on calling those other things an "addiction" which I'm not totally on board with, but sort of get your point. Okay

I'm not sure I'd even bother to argue it, although others certainly will and should.

Clarifying what this whole 'smoking" thing was all about, and what this whole "vaping" thing is all about is certainly not irrelevant.
But it wold definitely take more time and effort than spouting the brainwashed conclusions of the last few decades of anti-smoking crap. Yea, I have been hooked for many moons. Vaping has me completely off analogs for over 6 months which is a miracle for me. I do vape way more than I ever smoked. So for me it is a substitution no doubt. The "anti-smoking crap" is trying to save millions of lives. It trys to infuse "cessation" which is the theme of this thread. I take it you do not disagree with the message just how "they" publish the message?

I responded in bold above. Thanks for responding.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Before our vacation this past labor day, I grabbed a Blu starter kit so that I could try it and use it while driving. I was smoking a cig at the first stop. Ran into a couple at our hotel pool during the vaca who had what I later learned are mech and box mods. Couldn't believe the vapor they were producing. Learned they owned a vape shop in town and said they could get me set up with a starter kit. We left town before they opened and I wasn't able to stop in. In the next city I found a vape shop. Went in knowing nothing and walked out with an Aerotank mini on top of an EVOD VV 1300 mAh ego style battery. At that point I realized it would work. My wife asked if I could wait to quit cigs until we got home and I continued a bit of both during the rest if our trip.

We arrived home on a Friday and that Sunday was my last cig. My wife couldn't believe it an said I was making it look easy. Ive acquired different tanks and a few batteries over the past couple months and built my 1st dropper last night.

I to consider it an alternative and a great one at that.

No doubt- Well done and congrats!

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
I have related my story several times on this forum but I'll do it again. In early 2010 I was about to start a new job. I would be traveling from customer site to customer site in a company vehicle. I couldn't smoke in the vehicle much less the customer site.

I happened on a post in an unrelated forum recommending a 510 kit from Cignot.com. These were the wild west cart and attie days. I ordered one. I never intended to quit smoking altogether - just get by at work. Nonetheless after a week I never smoked a cigarette again.

It's anecdotal evidence but everyone I know who vapes is 100% tobacco free. You will never convince me that the garbage products available from the pharmaceutical industry have a tobacco cessation rate that even comes close to vaping.

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
The thing is, BP doesn't want their products to work well. If you quit with their products you wouldn't be back for more.

I was a 1 1/2 pad smoker when I quit. Was up to 2-2 1/2 packs at times during the 45 + years that I smoked. I tried BP's products. Didn't work. I bought my first little kit almost 3 years ago. I will hit my 3 year smoke free anniversary in just a few days. Amazing cessation device even though they can't be advertized as one :facepalm:

You have a great point [my bold above]. Quitting (as well as nicotine addiction) is big business, and even bigger money. Long term use of cessation products containing nicotine has also been given blessings by the FDA. Keep 'em coming back for more for as long as possible.

Many congrats on your fantastic achievement and milestone. I think it's time for a nice, shiny new gift for yourself on your 3 year anniversary.......

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
In June 2103, I decided that there had to be something better than that out there and 'Googled' vaping and up came ECF--I lurked and read and decided to visit the ONE B & M in my area.

3 things:
1 - It's good to know that Google exists
2 - That ECF exists
3 - and that at least ONE B & M exists

90 years from now.

Tee hee hee, I know you probably meant 2013, but someone has to keep things lighthearted around here.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You have a great point [my bold above]. Quitting (as well as nicotine addiction) is big business, and even bigger money. Long term use of cessation products containing nicotine has also been given blessings by the FDA. Keep 'em coming back for more for as long as possible.

Many congrats on your fantastic achievement and milestone. I think it's time for a nice, shiny new gift for yourself on your 3 year anniversary.......

Thank you !!!!!! I am enjoying my shiny new gift to myself right now :D Love my purdy little red "istick" ...so much so that I think a blue one will join it soon :LOL

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Here is a cut and pasted, pretty good description of addiction:

Addiction is a state defined by compulsive engagement in naturally rewarding behavior or compulsive drug use, despite adverse consequences; it can be thought of as a disease or biological process leading to such behaviors.

I think this point has merit in this discussion, but helps if you can tie it directly to OP. Opening post implies an understanding of addiction by noting that there are very heavy users of smoking and then goes onto note how these people are able to stop that addiction in a matter of days (not weeks or longer). And because these heaviest users are able to stop in such short order, sometimes with zero intention to cease smoking, then it is a little amazing (to me) that the cessation rate isn't higher, like closer to 100%.

Denial is simply "my case is different. I am special." "No one could possibly understand my case." Another way to state ones' denial would be : "We are not all alike." This is a CLASSIC statement of addiction denial. MY case is special. MY case is different. We could not POSSIBLY be alike. More comedy.

With these general terms, I am having tough time understanding what wouldn't constitute addiction based on both the stated definition and simplified version of denial. Food is clearly an addiction under these set of terms. Intellect (or intellectualism) would be as well. Breathing would be as well. All these things (and more) may be more than 'mere addictions' but hey, so is vaping. So is smoking.

I do agree that people who do same things (i.e. all people that smoke) likely have similar traits (i.e. may experience wheezing after prolonged or heavy use). This is what I hear you saying, and then hear some detractors who are thinking you are saying (instead) that all smokers (or vapers) are exactly the same in every way conceivable.

Analogs are highly addictive. We all know that. There is the physical addition to nicotine and the tars that stick it into the cells. I believe vaping is highly addictive as well. A test you can self perform is to simply STOP. Don't do it anymore. Quit for a day. Quit for a week. Can you quit at all? Can you quit for 6 months.

Saying you enjoy it and don't want to quit begs the question. The question is, can you?

I have quit smoking, 3 times. Never for less than a year. So the primary question being asked would be answered with a solid yes by me. I think of quitting smoking as not all that challenging. IMO, the "you have to want to quit" applies to staying quit, and not to the first minutes or day of cessation. I do not, at this time, wish to stay quit from smoking, and yet, I've now gone 1.5 days without a cigarette. Not so 'highly addictive' IMO, if I can smoke a pack every 3 weeks and use the product in moderation. If I take vaping out of the picture, I admit that I would likely smoke more, maybe up to 2 PAD's a day. But if I put my history back in that same picture, then I assure you (and mostly myself), I can quit cold turkey any time I choose. The question really is, "why quit?" Cause in case of food, breathing and even intellectualism, I believe lots of people (arguably all people) would exercise a whole lot of deniability to say, "no good reason to quit" and will be proud to be moderate users or even full blown addicts (I'm pretty sure the breathing crowd will say that).

The word addiction carries with it a connotation of 'something bad (dark and dirty) is occurring. Something unwanted.' Yet, when you are enjoying that which is deemed addictive, it is between challenging and impossible to see it as unwanted. Vapers clearly want to keep vaping. Smokers (not overly influenced by ANTZ rhetoric) clearly want to keep smoking. Scientists clearly want to engage in intellectualism. Breathers clearly want to keep breathing. And yet, someday all of these people will one day cease doing this activity. There will not be an exception to this last statement. We could call it a rule, or law type of thing.

This is why total cessation of these types of activities is a very very low number; a low percentage. To me vaping is an addiction that simply replaces what I believe is a much more dangerous addiction. It is a swap to "reduce harm." It is addiction by any other name.

And I would ask what is not an addiction? I believe what may be named will be an addiction by another name, justified as not an addiction by deniability and conniving intellectualism. If you feel otherwise, I am up for entertaining that in this thread. As OP, I think I have that right, and pretty sure I can tie it back to OP. Cause while it is plausible to say that the heaviest of smokers are replacing one addiction for another, it is more plausible IMO, to say that everyone that has ever walked planet earth was addicted to something at all times they were here. I am currently unaware of any exceptions. And within the relative framework that OP is bringing up, it is amazing, to me, that the heaviest users of smoking (deemed one of the most highly addictive items on this planet) are able to stop that activity in short order with very little to no intention for stopping.

For me, what your tangent is (indirectly) doing is making the tangent of moderation a little more pronounced. I am moderate smoker with no intention (currently) to engage in cessation. People that eat food, or breathe, or do other things that match a over simplified designation of 'addiction' are not likely abusing the item, nor causing direct harm to themselves, but that is arguable. The whole "smoking harms" meme is arguable. More arguable if one is smoking in moderation. It would seem that the one who uses in moderation can easily answer yes to the question of "can you quit using this item?" And not have fears, nor exercise blatant denial. Thus the why quit, or why stay quit question, IMO becomes the more reasonable question(s) to be asked.

Not sure what to say next, so I'll just say: your move.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I think this point has merit in this discussion, but helps if you can tie it directly to OP. Opening post implies an understanding of addiction by noting that there are very heavy users of smoking and then goes onto note how these people are able to stop that addiction in a matter of days (not weeks or longer). And because these heaviest users are able to stop in such short order, sometimes with zero intention to cease smoking, then it is a little amazing (to me) that the cessation rate isn't higher, like closer to 100%.

With these general terms, I am having tough time understanding what wouldn't constitute addiction based on both the stated definition and simplified version of denial. Food is clearly an addiction under these set of terms. Intellect (or intellectualism) would be as well. Breathing would be as well. All these things (and more) may be more than 'mere addictions' but hey, so is vaping. So is smoking.

I do agree that people who do same things (i.e. all people that smoke) likely have similar traits (i.e. may experience wheezing after prolonged or heavy use). This is what I hear you saying, and then hear some detractors who are thinking you are saying (instead) that all smokers (or vapers) are exactly the same in every way conceivable.

I have quit smoking, 3 times. Never for less than a year. So the primary question being asked would be answered with a solid yes by me. I think of quitting smoking as not all that challenging. IMO, the "you have to want to quit" applies to staying quit, and not to the first minutes or day of cessation. I do not, at this time, wish to stay quit from smoking, and yet, I've now gone 1.5 days without a cigarette. Not so 'highly addictive' IMO, if I can smoke a pack every 3 weeks and use the product in moderation. If I take vaping out of the picture, I admit that I would likely smoke more, maybe up to 2 PAD's a day. But if I put my history back in that same picture, then I assure you (and mostly myself), I can quit cold turkey any time I choose. The question really is, "why quit?" Cause in case of food, breathing and even intellectualism, I believe lots of people (arguably all people) would exercise a whole lot of deniability to say, "no good reason to quit" and will be proud to be moderate users or even full blown addicts (I'm pretty sure the breathing crowd will say that).

The word addiction carries with it a connotation of 'something bad (dark and dirty) is occurring. Something unwanted.' Yet, when you are enjoying that which is deemed addictive, it is between challenging and impossible to see it as unwanted. Vapers clearly want to keep vaping. Smokers (not overly influenced by ANTZ rhetoric) clearly want to keep smoking. Scientists clearly want to engage in intellectualism. Breathers clearly want to keep breathing. And yet, someday all of these people will one day cease doing this activity. There will not be an exception to this last statement. We could call it a rule, or law type of thing.

And I would ask what is not an addiction? I believe what may be named will be an addiction by another name, justified as not an addiction by deniability and conniving intellectualism. If you feel otherwise, I am up for entertaining that in this thread. As OP, I think I have that right, and pretty sure I can tie it back to OP. Cause while it is plausible to say that the heaviest of smokers are replacing one addiction for another, it is more plausible IMO, to say that everyone that has ever walked planet earth was addicted to something at all times they were here. I am currently unaware of any exceptions. And within the relative framework that OP is bringing up, it is amazing, to me, that the heaviest users of smoking (deemed one of the most highly addictive items on this planet) are able to stop that activity in short order with very little to no intention for stopping.

For me, what your tangent is (indirectly) doing is making the tangent of moderation a little more pronounced. I am moderate smoker with no intention (currently) to engage in cessation. People that eat food, or breathe, or do other things that match a over simplified designation of 'addiction' are not likely abusing the item, nor causing direct harm to themselves, but that is arguable. The whole "smoking harms" meme is arguable. More arguable if one is smoking in moderation. It would seem that the one who uses in moderation can easily answer yes to the question of "can you quit using this item?" And not have fears, nor exercise blatant denial. Thus the why quit, or why stay quit question, IMO becomes the more reasonable question(s) to be asked.

Not sure what to say next, so I'll just say: your move.

the cliff note version is"habit that causes harm is addiction,habit that causes no harm is just a habit"
regards
mike

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The "anti-smoking crap" is trying to save millions of lives. It trys to infuse "cessation" which is the theme of this thread. I take it you do not disagree with the message just how "they" publish the message?
When I'm taking about the "anti-smoking crap" this is exactly what I'm referring to...
Rampant Antismoking Signifies Grave Danger

EDIT: That's not to say that there aren't "anti-smokers" that have their heart in the right place
EDIT: But they are mostly the foot-soldiers and don't know what their "public health" organizations are REALLY up to

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread