Status
Not open for further replies.

rrayda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
the icy northlands
The Darwin

I just picked up a Darwin during the offering last Friday and thought I'd offer my thoughts on the thing.

I've been vaping exclusively for about three months now, using a 650mah eGo and dripping onto de-wicked atties. Most vaping has been a standard resistance but I quite enjoyed vaping on an LR atty I got from AVE. In steps the Darwin.

What I like:

1) This thing really will last you all day. All day vaping your head off, direct dripping...and the battery just won't quit.

2) It does feel good in the hand. It was weird as can be at first, but I got used to the ergonomics quite quickly and I like it.

3) The vape quality is unparalleled. Stick on an atty, drip some juice, adjust the power and you're good to go. I've been sitting somewhere around 9.2W for most of my juices and getting gobs of beautiful, warm vapor. I do not think I could go back to a 3.2V PV with normal atties after using the Darwin. The vape is just so much more satisfying at higher power. This thing really is amazing.

4) It's very easy to tailor the hardware to your juice. For example, I've found that Boba's performs better for me around 8.9W, it really brings out the taste and the vapor production is ridiculous. Hotter, and the taste suffers, cooler and it affects vapor production. You can really dial this PV in to perfection. My other all-day vape, BWB Casablanca, vapes like a champ around 10.2W. No other PV gives you this level of *EASY* adjustability.

5) It really is built like a tank. I feel like I could drive over it in my car and it wouldn't even notice.

What I don't like:

1) The fit'n'finish. It's just not up to the level of its price. The machining is a little rough, the engraving is sloppy, there's play in the arm and button. Specifically, the patterning on the display side shows tooling marks where it should be flat, the engraving is rough enough to catch on a pocket and part of the evolv logo was not even cut, the arm allows my drip tip to contact the side of the case when closed. It's not horrible by any means, but it kinda bothers me every time I look at it.

2) The actual finish. This thing should be anodized, no doubt about it. The powder coat is going to wear off and it's going to look like hell. It's a nice powder coat job (except for the scratches at the end near the atty connection that were there the day it arrived), just not as nice as a good anodization would be.

3) Size. It's big. You feel crazy whipping this thing out in public. I get why it's big, I just wish it wasn't.

4) The thumb wheel is WAY too sensitive. Imagine using the coarse adjustment knob on a microscope to dial in final focus of a very small subject. That's what using this thumb wheel is like every time. The slightest turn and you've just shot up 2W when you meant to go 0.2W. Dialing the adjustment ratio down by an order of magnitude would not be unreasonable for this thing.

5) The thumb wheel sensitivity mixed with its location. It's very easy to knock the power setting out of where you want it. I've found myself puffing some Boba's at what I thought was that ca. 9W sweet-spot only to find it had been inadvertently bumped to a positively reckless 12W. Yuck. I'm getting better about not doing this, but it still catches me sometimes.

6) The lack of battery charging indication. It really is the unfortunate oversight that everyone says it is.

In the End...

So....all said and done, I love the Darwin so far. It does offer unparalleled quality of vaping, ease of adjustability, apparent durability and just a simple wow factor that can't be beat. If you can overlook the unfortunate (lack of) quality of the fit'n'finish and its minor ergonomic/software niggles, I don't think you can go wring with this PV. Overall awesomeness.

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I've been sitting somewhere around 9.2W for most of my juices and getting gobs of beautiful, warm vapor.

Its funny because that is where I stick at on my $19.99 3.7 mod as well. Obviously not with the digital precision of a Darwin.
I could see how it would be nice to turn it up to 10w for the Casablanca or Dekangs though.

I think all these recent awesome sauce mods are going to one day be combined into the epipereoeclipsedarwin mod from digitalciggzaltsmokenhaler.com, that is to say I hope these features continue to filter down into other units.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Fair assesment. I really enjoy my Darwin and would agree that anyone with a little OCD for machining quality and engraving would notice what you have pointed out. I also noticed it but as you stated it is not a show stopper by any means. Anodizing would certainly have been a better choice for a coating. All told though it really is an amazing and versatile unit.

rrayda - on the arm issue I have found about 60% of the play is in the 510 to 510 adapter at the carto/atty connection. Happy vapes!

rrayda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
the icy northlands
Umm... it is anodized. They anodize it for a bit longer, so the anodized layer on top of the aluminum is a bit thicker than what you would normally see.

Well, you learn something new every day. I guess the anodizing I'm used to seeing is indeed of the thinner variety. Thanks for the info AngusATAT.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I agree that regulated voltage, where the power is consistent to the setting each and every time is the WTG (way to go) for supreme vaping ... I can't imagine going back to ...

- well, actually, if you setup your whatever PV to the correct atty resistance to power ratio, you will get great vape...

but not of the variable sets of these new "smart" pv's... any atty you want... set it for optimal vaping.

- and btw there are 2 "smart" pv's out on the market now (Darwin and Provari), and another coming out in a couple months (with piezo auto feed pump)...Eclipse eq.

rrayda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
the icy northlands
- and btw there are 2 "smart" pv's out on the market now (Darwin and Provari), and another coming out in a couple months (with piezo auto feed pump)...Eclipse eq.

Yeah, I had a hard time choosing between the Darwin and the Provari. I had originally settled on the Provari but decided I liked the set it and forget it mentality of the Darwin. I can decide what power level I like for a given juice / mood and that's where it sits. The atty resistance doesn't affect it, the age of the atty doesn't affect it, the battery doesn't affect it...it just works.

Regarding the eclipse, I had planned on waiting for it when it was scheduled for release in March, then April, etc....I decided that I wasn't willing to wait and here I am with a Darwin. The eclipse looks awesome but I'm just not sure it's ever going to come to light. I hope it does, but we'll see.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
rrayda,
i know it will be here... but who could wait?
i wouldn't expect anyone to pass on either the darwin or the provari right now... and why? for an auto pump?

the eclipse will be the first of its kind... and it's the piezo auto pump that is what makes it more expensive... what i mean is, that is a luxury; for lots of dollars more... it's still going to have the same basic "smart" functions at its heart.

i plan on getting one... but if i couldn't afford one, i'd wouldn't be hurtin... with a darwin.

nbourbaki

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Cincinnati
Nice review! I received my Darwin on Monday after the last Friday night scramble to buy one. Awesome turnaround time by nHaler! I agree that the adjustment wheel is far too sensitive and I occasionally hit the adjustment wheel by accident. I'm sure that it will be fixed in later versions. I really enjoy mine. It's very nice to dial in your wattage and just vape. I haven't taken it on the road yet, but that will come next week. I see a lot of potential in the platform. Since it already has a mini USB port for charging, it would be nice to use the same port to download updates to the firmware. Like desensitising the adjustment wheel, altering what's displayed on the LCD or alter it's power range. Once the device gains a brain the possibilities are wide open. The fit and finish looks good to me and I have no complaints about how it's constructed or finished. It has great battery capacity, it feels good in the hand and you can dial in your wattage for whatever juice or business end you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread