Thinking about buying a provari need the push!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonayran

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2011
in a box.
Been using variable voltage on my lavatube for about 4 months now. Really happy to experience VV but for some reason I feel like I am not getting the true experience of VV. Looking for people to let me know If i should switch to a provari from a lavatube and why?

I really want a provari and just need that extra push

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
I tried both and got the Provari. It's just an all around better made device. If I had a Lavatube that was working well I'd wait till it died. (Not having bottomless pockets) If you're looking for more from VV you need to dig in and experiment with different atomizers, tanks, cartos, and so forth. These are what make the difference in the end. 4.8 volts is going to taste/vape exactly the same on every VV if you use the same delivery system on them. VV's are simply adjustable power supplies. You'll need to factor batteries into a Provari purchase as well. (unless you have the convex + terminal type already) You won't be able to use the Lavatube batteries as they have a concave + terminal. You could muck around with magnets, but why when new batteries are $8-13.

That all said, if money isn't an issue, buy it. You're sure to like it. The Lavatube won't get much use if you do.

FYI. Blue LED's go on sale at Provape midnight, May 31st. (June 1st 12:01AM) A black or chrome Provari with a blue LED is sick!

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
If you were mostly happy with the L-tube, but not happy with the fit and finish, then a Provari might be a great device for you. I don't think I've ever heard of someone having one that didn't really like it.

Here's a good reason to get it now. I've taken to carrying multiple devices, and really like it. I started by carrying 2, now I'm up to 3. I put different juice in all of them, then cycle though. That way, my taste buds don't get blown out on one flavor. You know how you can't taste something anymore after vaping on it fo awhile? That happens much less frequently to me now that I carry my Buzz Pro, my version 1.5 Lavatube, and my Altoids mod with me all day. So I think you should get your Provari BEFORE your L-Tube dies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Unless you are using LR cartos on your Lavatube and reaching amperage limitation, you are getting the same vape. Voltage is voltage as long as the device can deliver the current needed. 3 ohm cartos will let you mimic the Provari experience on your Lavatube.

What you get with the Provari is a precision machined device made of high grade stainless steel with excellent workmanship. I look at these devices like I do watches. A $50 watch is pretty and keeps great time, but a Seiko keeps its value. The Provari is more in the Seiko range as far as PVs go.

I don't generally carry my Provari if I'm going to be digging in the yard or cutting grass. That's an eGo opportunity. If it slips out of my pocket and gets under the mower blades, I'll just order another $20 battery and get another Boge out of the box.

For all other times, I'm vaping on the Provari and loving it.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
As DaveP put it already, most people don't carry their Provari out of the house. They have some other APV that they take with them out of fear of dropping or losing it. Makes no sense to me to buy an APV only to use in the house. This is why I haven't purchased one. I want my hard earned money to benefit me wherever I am at and not have petty worries on my mind. If it is that good of a vape and nothing else compares to it, why would you leave it at home? I want my vaping experience to be the same no matter where I am at. Your best bet would be to experiment with the options you have available as far as equipment goes. Have you asked yourself, what if I get the Provari and find myself in the same dilema I am in now? What do you do then? You just plunked down $200+ for something you didn't need to.......

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
As DaveP put it already, most people don't carry their Provari out of the house. They have some other APV that they take with them out of fear of dropping or losing it. Makes no sense to me to buy an APV only to use in the house. This is why I haven't purchased one. I want my hard earned money to benefit me wherever I am at and not have petty worries on my mind. If it is that good of a vape and nothing else compares to it, why would you leave it at home? I want my vaping experience to be the same no matter where I am at. Your best bet would be to experiment with the options you have available as far as equipment goes. Have you asked yourself, what if I get the Provari and find myself in the same dilema I am in now? What do you do then? You just plunked down $200+ for something you didn't need to.......

My Provari goes where I go. I just don't carry it on the riding mower for fear it will slide out of my pocket and become mulch! Other places I go I carry it constantly. If I had a good, tight holster on the Craftsman mower, it would be with me there. That reminds me, I need to add a drink holder and an ecig holster to the mower!

I don't wear my Seiko when I work on the car. I have a couple of cheap $12 Walmart watches for everyday wear.

I'd say that better than 95% of the time, if you see me out, I'm vaping the Provari. Standard yard work ... it's the Provari. I wipe my hands before I vape to get the dirt off! ;) Lavatube, especially the new 4.0 amp model that's rumored to be coming out, would be the next lower priced VV mod choice. Silver Bullet is another good choice.

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I take my provari everywhere. It fits nicely in my purse.

I wonder if you could find anyone close by who owns one and meet up so you can try it out. I don't know that a provari is going give you what you are looking for. From what I understand there are a few things it does better than the lava tube (holding a constant voltage), and well... That's probably about it as far as performance. Other than that it's aesthetics and build quality.

Like I mentioned earlier though, if you bought one and decided it was a waste of money, you'd probably have no problem selling it to get back a good percentage of the price you paid for it.

Someone mentioned playing with different cartomizers, clearomizers, atties, etc... That may be something to try.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I take my provari everywhere. It fits nicely in my purse.

I wonder if you could find anyone close by who owns one and meet up so you can try it out. I don't know that a provari is going give you what you are looking for. From what I understand there are a few things it does better than the lava tube (holding a constant voltage), and well... That's probably about it as far as performance. Other than that it's aesthetics and build quality.

Like I mentioned earlier though, if you bought one and decided it was a waste of money, you'd probably have no problem selling it to get back a good percentage of the price you paid for it.

Someone mentioned playing with different cartomizers, clearomizers, atties, etc... That may be something to try.

I'm sure there would be many takers for a used Provari with at least two batteries included at $125 on the for sale forums here, especially if it had 10 months of factory warranty left. That would be $70 off a new one (counting battery cost). One of the nice things about the Provari is stateside repair service, cheap upgrade prices, and the option for another year of that warranty for $24.95. I don't buy after market warranty extensions but I did on the Provari. It's not something I can get schematics and parts for and fix myself and it's not a throwaway ecig.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
A feature that speaks loudly for "reasons to buy a ProVari" is ProVape's guarantee of "what you see is what you get" voltage.

Most VVs---even the really good ones---do suffer a bit of voltage drop under load. It's often not much---as little as .1 volt---but it's there.

Beyond that, however, most VVs experience increased voltage drop as the battery charge is used up. With batteries nearing the end of their cycle before needing to be swapped out and recharged, voltage drop can sometimes be significant---1 volt and up.

The ProVari doesn't have either of those flaws. The voltage you set on the display is the voltage you'll get pushing your vape, and not just as loaded voltage, but form the minute you put in a fresh battery until you take it out for recharge. That's smart engineering, and worth paying a premium for.

NickZac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland--US
I take my Provari everywhere and have the Provape case for it (not a good fit btw). It is a pretty unit with a nice fit and finish, but it is designed to take a fall or five. How the circuit chip is placed in is good for shock reduction, the extra long threading prevent stripping, and the LCD plastic is ever so slightly recessed to avoid it taking the heat of a fall. If the unit ever gets gunked up, then soak it in alcohol. I've read that the Provari is the only VV mod that will truly hold a completely stable voltage, although no idea how much it affects the experience.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I don't baby my Provari that much.. My vv madvapes box goes to work with me but only because it is small and easy to conceal. I'm thinking of getting the Provari mini to carry to work. I am all about performance.. I didn't purchase the black model or the blue led because those features don't add to the performance and I don't have money to burn (if I did I'd for sure get those options but I don't) I have no qualms about taking my provari outside the house.. but I do most of my vaping while at home so it's not a problem anyway. This isn't just a show piece to sit around in a glass case.. it's meant to be used and can take the abuse. So don't worry about buying something you can't use. Most of us here are serious vapers, I know I am, and I don't consider the provari to be that expensive.. all things being relative. I used to spend the cost of a provari every couple months when I was buying cigarettes. I diy my own juice and my cartos last for weeks so my essential vaping costs have come down drastically. I am super happy and satisfied with what I have and use right now.. and the provari is a big part of that satisfaction. :)

edit: I wanted to add that I am a fan of several devices.. not just my provari. While it may be my favorite, It's just one of the devices that keep me happy :)

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Been using variable voltage on my lavatube for about 4 months now. Really happy to experience VV but for some reason I feel like I am not getting the true experience of VV. Looking for people to let me know If i should switch to a provari from a lavatube and why?

I really want a provari and just need that extra push

It's on the whole the most rugged and reliable of all my APVs. My kick'd Empire is a close second.

But I think the bottom line is: can you afford it, and do you want it? If the answer is "yes" to both... go for it.

It's not really a regrettable purchase. Then again I don't regret my mini-LT either.

rem700

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Mn
1 standard Lavatube
2 Apollo SS Vtubes
1 Satin SS V2 Provari
I vape all my juices between 4-4.4V with 3ohm Boge cartos and dont see any significant differences in the vape.
I prefer the overall length of the Provari with extension and the ability to check carto resistance, I prefer the weight of the standard Lavatube, I like the ability to use ego style tanks/cartos on the Apollo and the three button menu as on the standard Lavatube, The SS Apollo is kinda slippery and could use some type of knurling on the body for better grip. Which would I choose still trying to figure that out myself.
Right now my choice would be the one that isnt offered a aluminum Provari with 3 button menu and a 510 connection drip well like the Apollo:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread