Tight MTL tank with prebuild SS coils for TC (with matching mini TC mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psihoza

Jun 8, 2018
Croatia
I'm looking for simple and bulletproof setup for absolute beginner which is also very non-technical. Id like to make her quit cigs but any small problem along the way will easily make her stop.

I let her try my iStick Pico 75W with Kayfun Prime and she loves it but rebuilding coils is absolutely no-no for her. She likes my Prime on tightest setting (!). On the other hand, I love TC and I can see how it can also help beginners completely avoid dry hits and ruining coils which would be very very helpful for her.

But, I can't seem to find any real tight MTL atomizers with SS coils. I think she would love Nautilus 2 but even if I could find SS coils for it (which I cant), that top fill very often unscrews the coilhead too and creates a mess :/ That wold be a showstopper for her.

Why is it so hard to find MTL tank with SS coils for TC? Is it some technical limitation or really small market for it? I dont understand. List of my requirements is:
- very tight draw
- easy top-fill that works with no issues
- minimal leakage posible
- as small as possible (2ml is great)

P.S. I'm also looking for small mod to go with it. If I skip more expensive Dicodes and DNA ones, I think anything that ArcticFox work on would have acceptable TC for her. Or similar. I can set it up, complexity of setup is no issue, just how difficult it is to use it. So some must have requirements would be:
- charging circutry
- passable TC at least with ArcticFox
- small, possibly tube-like
Nice to have but not neccessary:
- designed for ladies (color, shape)
... at the moment I found only Wismec P80.

Reactions: stols001

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
If it's possible that it doesn't have to be a mod that she actually uses in TC mode, though it may have it...I was going to recommend the Pico 75W with a simple KangerTech TopTank Nano or Innokin T18 tank on it. There are many women vapers who don't have mods with TC, and are happily vaping along for years.

Both tanks are small enough to not look "funny" on the little Pico; aren't prone to leaking from my experience; are easy to topfill; and the coils are readily available in a variety of ohms. Once she learns how to prime a coil, let it sit for a little while, and uses maybe Tootle Puffer wattage (which is very low, maybe no higher than 12W or so)...I'd think dry hits wouldn't be a problem, as long as she doesn't let the tank run dry.

I personally don't know of any MTL tanks that have/use drop-in SS coils.

Last edited:

Psihoza

Jun 8, 2018
Croatia
I'm aware of many compromises I can make. But I'm not willing to make them at this moment. For starters, think about teaching your grandmother to vape (or grand grandmother, depending on your age) :) She will forget to fill, she will dryhit, she will burn a new coil and then complain its expensive and ther's nothing I can do about it. I'd like to set it up myself, show her the power button and filling method and have all this as bulletproof as possible with today's technology.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I don't know how old the lady is, but at my age (which is nearly 66), and having lady friends who vape and are in their mid-70s and others I've gotten started vaping in their 60's...IMO it's not that difficult. But, I don't know anything about the lady you want to help, possible physical problems she may have, etc.. So I'll .... out and wish you luck. :thumbs:

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm still trying to get 3 friends to stop smoking. Been feeding them with vaping gear, but to no avail. They want to vape, but not really getting there...
I think for some...(maybe most) smokers the best way to get introduced to vaping is with a pod system. I'm going to test this theory on one of them...

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I managed to find Aspire Odyssey kit (triton mini atomizer) and thinking of pairing it with ni200 coils. Not sure how tight this is and how well it will work for mtl though

The triton mini is a very good delivery device, airflow is adjustable in any increment from open to fully closed, mtl is no problem.
It is compatible with all the nautilus & triton mini heads.
I didn't care for the ni200 <--- massive understatement, they can be hard to find.

The top fill can be a little fiddly depending on bottle tip size, has a juice shut off on top for filling tank to prevent flooding, if that gets moved by accident or isn't returned to 'vape' setting it will dry hit/burn.

The odyssey mini kit comes with the triton mini. heads compatible with nautilus.
The standard odyssey comes with a the triton v2. heads compatible with Atlantis.

The pegasus power device adjustment wheel at the top is easy to spin & mess up settings.

• Agree

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I've given this a lot of thought lately, and honestly, I would get her a pod type setup. I would probably get someone the Vaporesso Orca Solo right now. Super easy to use, can get super tight (which is why I love it) and no leakage, and is small. Just my two cents. Another pod might work too, but this is the only one that performs close to a 'normal' tank that I've found.

The temp control can be a lot of work for a newbie, and I thinks something super simple like this is the way to go. Cheap coils, last a long time, and she can always upgrade later. But you can get it for like 15 bucksish, and comes with 2 coils.

Something like a pico and Nautilus X with the 1.8 coil would be a great 2nd mod down the road.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    A pico 25 85w with an innokin zenith is another option - I find the zenith is so easy to fill and change coils - plus the coils last a long time. Its flavour is almost as good as my RTA.

I went with an internal battery mod to start with - I'm glad I did as I didn't have the battery knowledge back then. So maybe the zenith & kroma-a starter kit might be an option.

Just wanted to say good on ya for doing this for her :thumbs:

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
    Sep 25, 2017
    UK
    Hmmm...

Some of the older Joyetech MTL tanks can use TC capable coils - the Cubis (BF coils) and Ego One/Tron (CL coils) come to mind & should still be available. The Nautilus X can use the Pockex 0.6 coil, which is SS316L (I think).

TC seems great when you happen to like the vape it provides (or you can't tell how much liquid's left), but it's hard not to see it as just another complication for a beginner.

Whatever she ends up with, I hope your friend enjoys vaping!

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    TC seems great when you happen to like the vape it provides (or you can't tell how much liquid's left), but it's hard not to see it as just another complication for a beginner.

Agree. I wouldn’t start somebody out with tc. Every single vaper I know managed to quit in power mode, and most will not ever advance beyond that.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Can you tell me what you didn't like about those?

Muted flavor, long break in, short head life, at least 1 usually more dud's or heads that only last a few mls per 5 pack box, some heads were wicked too tight causing slow wicking, some were wicked way too loose & would leak or seep into airflow chamber, and a noticeable funky metallic taste.

I like an open, fairly unrestricted MTL inhale, closing down the airflow to produce a tight restricted inhale would make the above more pronounced/worse.

Im with those that say forget about TC for someone like you describe you're trying to help start.
    The selection & quality of true MTL TC delivery devices & replacement heads is dismal and fiddly & finicky to use.

Seems easier to tell her just keep it between 8w - 10w if it inadvertently gets out of your initial adjustment.

Psihoza

Jun 8, 2018
    Croatia
    I see mtl and tc are the problem. But again, honestly don't understand why. I expected tc will completely kill VW but it's not happening. Its safer, it doesnt dryhit, doesnt burn cotton, wire and cotton last longer and (subjective) you get smoother vape. Only downside was price of DNA chip but even my cheap Pico with Arcric Fox do TC very nice so it is not an issue anymore.

I also dont see any downsides for beginners. All you have to do is lock resistance when yoi change coils.

Anyway, for now I ordered Wismec P80 for 30$. Not as small as I hoped but almost tube shaped and comes in fancy colors. Still searching what to put on it.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    MTL & TC is easy if you use an appropriate RBA, but, seems you want replaceable heads that function with TC and a restricted MTL.

TC is just as prone to problems for beginners that don't have an understanding of how it works.
    Any accidental button presses that change settings will cause issues.

Every one of your TC positives are subjective.
    TC certainly can dry hit, burn cotton and produce nasties if you believe that sort of thing, it is all dependent on settings and if someone inadvertently changes them.

Unless you set it up perfectly then lock everything but the fire button the chance of a beginner accidentally changing something is very high.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Id like to make her quit cigs

Here is your first mistake. I don't want to be rude, but you absolutely CANNOT make her stop. Oh believe me, I've tried with the husband (with varying degrees of success but he is dual using ATM), you just need to approach it with "I'd like TO HELP her maybe stop."

If you need a tight MTL draw and a TC coil, well, the triton mini (MINI) has coils for TC, but honestly if I'd tried to START in TC mode, I would have failed. Also, if you get a decent, reasonable MTL setup, you'd probably be doing her a huge favor (even non TC vaping is safer than smoking by a fair margin) and I have gotten to rebuilding and TC but if for sure took time.

I would suggest the Innoken Zenith because the coils last forever and there are ALSO rumors (and they are rumors) that a SS coil MAY be in the works. It's also a larger tank so won't overheat so much and is stupid easy to fill (topfill) and change coils and I DO mean the coils last AN ETERNITY.

I couldn't even kill OFF my first one. It's just a nice, well put together drop in tank, I think it outperforms the Nautilus by a fair margin in a LOT of ways.

Good luck,

Anna

Psihoza

Jun 8, 2018
    Croatia
    MTL & TC is easy if you use an appropriate RBA, but, seems you want replaceable heads that function with TC and a restricted MTL.
    Why would that make it more difficult? Rebuildable or not, it's a coil. Similar piece of wire, just made in factory and not by yourself.

TC is just as prone to problems for beginners that don't have an understanding of how it works.
    Any accidental button presses that change settings will cause issues.
    Hm, everything is prone to errors with wrong button presses. But still wouldnt call it equaly prone. VW will create problems in many other situations.
    But you are right. Disabling buttons would help me in this case. That's why I was thinking about Ego One VT. This device is temp control but really difficult to fiddle with settings once set. But gave up at end.

juskiddin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 29, 2015
    Canada
    I see mtl and tc are the problem. But again, honestly don't understand why. I expected tc will completely kill VW but it's not happening. Its safer, it doesnt dryhit, doesnt burn cotton, wire and cotton last longer and (subjective) you get smoother vape. Only downside was price of DNA chip but even my cheap Pico with Arcric Fox do TC very nice so it is not an issue anymore.

I also dont see any downsides for beginners. All you have to do is lock resistance when yoi change coils.

Anyway, for now I ordered Wismec P80 for 30$. Not as small as I hoped but almost tube shaped and comes in fancy colors. Still searching what to put on it.

One of my first tanks was a Nautilus Mini...I still use it almost 3 years later. Granted, it's not top fill but for this MTL vaper the adjustable airflow was/is great - the smallest hole would be good for someone who likes a tight draw. "Tight" is subjective...I've read reviews describing the Nautilus X as a tight draw. Um...no, not to me (I have 3). I still find the Nauti Mini a pretty tight draw. Lots of coil choices too (Triton Mini) and readily available.

The Nautilus Mini won't win any beauty pageants but hey, who cares? As long as it satisfies the user.

Cheers

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread