To Ohms reader or not to Ohms reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzicat

Sep 4, 2017
Hey guys, its me again. Sorry about the stupid thread title lmao :D Gotta say I've been loving my Predator mod so far and I've been about a week free from cigarettes now. Although I'm only roughly a week into vaping, I've already learned some vital stuff (thanks to you lovely experts here in the ecig forum). The thing is though, I have a minor issue with the elabo tank that came with my predator mod. It only takes me about 2-3 days (4 days max) before I start getting awful dry hits, and that's when I change up the coil for the elabo. Each pre-made coil costs around 3.50$, and while I don't really mind paying for a good vape, I'm thinking its a bit too steep for me, considering I've heard some guys pay only 200-300$ and that lasts them for over a year (or longer, so I've heard) by making their own coils with their RDAs. I had to pay 30$ just to get 7 pre-made coils for my elabo, and that only lasted me about a month, or even less I think. Reading up about how much money people save and the type of flavor and clouds people get when they rebuild RDAs really got me thinking... and that's when I decided that I'd get my own RDA soon. I'll be getting a REMentry RDA soon and am really excited to start building my own coils, and that's where my noob question comes in:

I've researched on a lot of RDA coil building videos and I've seen that most of them tell you that you need an "ohms reader" if you want to be able to measure the resistance of your coils. However, I noticed that my predator mod reads the resistance of the pre-made coils I bought for my elabo tank on the OLED screen. I wanted to know if I do need to buy a separate ohms reader in order to measure the resistance of the coils or whether I can just use the predator mod instead? It would save me a lot of time and money if I knew I could just use the mod in place of the ohms reader... but I'd still get a separate ohms reader though if I need to and if the using the mod isn't enough for reading the resistance of the coils.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I got by without an ohm reader for a year or so since I only use regulated mods with built in readers. Ohm meters are nice to have though, because they make a good base for building coils and checking the resistance. I built my own coil holder with a short 2 x 4 and a 510 connector and used that for building.

DSCF0097.jpg

I did buy a 521 mini Tab a few months ago. it uses an 18650 battery and you can dry burn coils before rewicking them. They are cheap, around $16.
Coil Master 521 Mini Tab

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you have a mod that's decent at reading Ohms, I think you'd be fine without one and using Steam Engine then checking it on your mod. I guess you could anneal it by firing it, though a blowtorch would work just the same way, but I think your mod should be fine for that, too, though.

I have a mini ohms reader that came with my coilbuilders kit and TBH I don't know that it's any more "reliable" than my mod for reading ohms... For whatever reason my Steampunk seems to consistently read a bit high, meaning I just turn down my wattage a bit. I DO find it very useful for a stable base to install the coil and the wick, though, much easier than trying to hold or balance everything in my hands. But, I'm clumsy, I don't see very well (I also use my little old lady can't read glasses when coiling and installing) and I have a slight motor tremor, a lot of the experts around here don't seem to see a whole ton of use for it, though others (like myself) enjoy it a lot.

If you are worried about funds, you could certainly go old school, and use tools to hand, Steam Engine, and your mod.... Since you can dry burn coils on a mod, I'm pretty sure you could make sure they are firing evenly and annealed on your mod, as well, and if that's working for you, no real need.

So the answer is kind of personal preference.... Good luck building, I hope you enjoy it!

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I at the moment use a big baby beast rba base on my predator and whenever i rewick it i use the mod itself for readings and dry firing, 99% of the time it does fine and reads pretty close to what my other mod reads (aspire nx75) I've had issue with reading a couple times but it's not the mod it's the rba base and that's one of the known issues with that thing. Overall i like mine alot too :p

Muzicat

Sep 4, 2017
That's a personal choice IMO. If you trust the Ohm reader on your device, use that. If you aren't sure then invest in a dedicated reader.

Totally your call.

I got by without an ohm reader for a year or so since I only use regulated mods with built in readers. Ohm meters are nice to have though, because they make a good base for building coils and checking the resistance. I built my own coil holder with a short 2 x 4 and a 510 connector and used that for building.

View attachment 685389

I did buy a 521 mini Tab a few months ago. it uses an 18650 battery and you can dry burn coils before rewicking them. They are cheap, around $16.
Coil Master 521 Mini Tab

Wow, that's one hardcore coil holder. :D Although I'm actually leaning towards getting a reader not because I don't trust my mod but because I'll need a base for building... I think the accurate readings from an ohms reader at this point is just a bonus. For roughly 15-20$, I guess it's worth it.

If you have a mod that's decent at reading Ohms, I think you'd be fine without one and using Steam Engine then checking it on your mod. I guess you could anneal it by firing it, though a blowtorch would work just the same way, but I think your mod should be fine for that, too, though.

I have a mini ohms reader that came with my coilbuilders kit and TBH I don't know that it's any more "reliable" than my mod for reading ohms... For whatever reason my Steampunk seems to consistently read a bit high, meaning I just turn down my wattage a bit. I DO find it very useful for a stable base to install the coil and the wick, though, much easier than trying to hold or balance everything in my hands. But, I'm clumsy, I don't see very well (I also use my little old lady can't read glasses when coiling and installing) and I have a slight motor tremor, a lot of the experts around here don't seem to see a whole ton of use for it, though others (like myself) enjoy it a lot.

If you are worried about funds, you could certainly go old school, and use tools to hand, Steam Engine, and your mod.... Since you can dry burn coils on a mod, I'm pretty sure you could make sure they are firing evenly and annealed on your mod, as well, and if that's working for you, no real need.

So the answer is kind of personal preference.... Good luck building, I hope you enjoy it!

Anna

The predator is definitely one of the heavier mods out there (at least compared to the alien) and it would probably make a good base for building in theory... But a flat base from an ohms reader would probably be better. My hands tend to twitch a lot as well and I'm probably going to end up tipping the mod over while centering the coils, tightening the posts, etc. I've disassembled small electronic devices with tiny screws before and I always couldn't help but twitch whenever I needed to keep my hands still. Probably a nervous thing for me I guess, I'm not used to working with super small screws, nails, coils, etc. I've never really figured out how to use the steam engine though tbh... I don't know, it just seems really complicated. I could barely navigate through the site. :?: It's probably because I'm new though... But thanks for the advice, I'll probably end up getting a reader just to save me all the possible heartache from my big, wobbly hands. :D

I at the moment use a big baby beast rba base on my predator and whenever i rewick it i use the mod itself for readings and dry firing, 99% of the time it does fine and reads pretty close to what my other mod reads (aspire nx75) I've had issue with reading a couple times but it's not the mod it's the rba base and that's one of the known issues with that thing. Overall i like mine alot too :p

Nice! I'm already leaning towards buying a reader, but if ever I stuck to using the predator for reading resistances to save some cash, I've heard some horror stories about the 510 connector just popping out of the mod.:danger: Some people said that the predator wasn't very reliable when it came to reading coils because of the 510 issue... But I did some research on it and found out that Wismec fixed the problem just a few months back and welded the 510 in place (not sure if they welded it or anything, but it's sure stuck in there). I just bought mine a few weeks back and I've had no issues with my 510... I was wondering if you've ever come across the 510 issue when it came to reading coil resistances?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I started just using mod for building. One day forgot to lower watts before firing up coils & ruined a beautiful pair of slotted fused clapton coils. Bought Coil Master 521 tab the next day. Outside of start up gear, best money I've invested into vaping gear. Plus if I get just plain stupid when building I don't kill mod.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
I use both, the mod and a mini tab. I find the mini tab to be a better base to build and wick. If you do use the mod be sure to turn it off unless you are pulsing or dry firing, zapping yourself with a bare coil does *not* feel good.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
If you have a regulated mod that reads ohms, you already have an ohm-reader. A stand-alone ohm-reader is really only necessary if you will be using the atomizer on a mechanical or unregulated device (and even then, you can use the regulated mod as your "stand-alone" ohm-reader to check the resistance before attaching it to the unregulated one.)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As everyone has already pointed out, there is nothing wrong with using the resistance measured by your mod. A device like a 521 tab just makes a builders life easier to build, dry burn and wick on a stable surface rather than a mod which you can easily knock over. What juice are you using that's going through a coil every 3 days? Most factory coils should last longer than that.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Nice! I'm already leaning towards buying a reader, but if ever I stuck to using the predator for reading resistances to save some cash, I've heard some horror stories about the 510 connector just popping out of the mod.:danger: Some people said that the predator wasn't very reliable when it came to reading coils because of the 510 issue... But I did some research on it and found out that Wismec fixed the problem just a few months back and welded the 510 in place (not sure if they welded it or anything, but it's sure stuck in there). I just bought mine a few weeks back and I've had no issues with my 510... I was wondering if you've ever come across the 510 issue when it came to reading coil resistances?

0 issues here the only "issues" i had were brought by the baby rba base itself (known issues) i've had absolutely nothing bad to say since i got my predator about 2 weeks ago. Reads my 3 tanks fine and readings between my 2 mods are barely different (like a .02 to .03 difference max). Again the only 510 pin issues i've had came from the big baby rba which is a known issue since the rba base makes the 510 pin push out very far and tends to short mods out whenever the rba itself is too tight in the tank. Overall i'd say the predator is a really nice mod imho.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
When i first started building coils I didn't have one of those handy dandy little kits. However, I did eventually pick one up and I have to say the coil master kits are WELL worth the investment plus they come with an ohms reader.

If I were you, and knowing what I know now, I would simply get a coil building kit and be done with it. They are just too handy and make building coils a snap; they have all the tools to make your life easy plus a little ohms reader in them. They are cheap ohms readers and not as accurate as some mods, but they get you in the vicinity your shooting for and give you a base to work off of..

I would go to eBay and get a coil master kit. Version 2 is fine but I just found a seller that has version 3 for 37.00, which is a good price for the kit.

Authentic Coil Master DIY V3 Vape Tool Kit 2017 Fall New Release USA Seller | eBay

The tools are indispensable, I love them plus I love the case which makes it just plain nice, everything you need in one place.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
When I was trying drippers I got an Ohms reader and loved it as a stable base for installing my coils and wicking. It wasn't long after that shineyitus hit when I saw the Coil Master 521 Tab. I have had it now for over a year and love it. It is a very stable deck for installing coils and also great for dry burning a new coil or burning off the gunk when I am re-wicking an existing coil. After I have gotten the coil right I can put the tank back together and check for shorts. Oh, I am not a good dripper so I now use Kayfun V3 Mini and Kayfun V5s. I find the flavor is better and they are wonderful RTAs. Even though the majority of my mods are regulated and have all kinds of protections built in, I still would rather find a short with my 521 Tab vice finding out in a mod.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I second the recommendation for the Coil Master DIY Kit V3. It comes with everything you need. Like @RainSong, I replaced the scissors. Those folding scissors didn't cut it for me (unintentional pun.) The pliers are fine for me. It comes with a 521 mini tab, ceramic tweezers for strumming the coils, and lots of other useful goodies. IMO, it has paid for itself already. I just built the prettiest SS Clapton coil you have ever seen. ;) I do find the coiling jig to be a little tricky with thick wire, but a little practice makes perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread