traveling by plane with e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Thanks. Your reply was very helpful. I'm planning on taking a few 7 ml bottles. I was wondering if I was going to be questioned by the tsa.

No, they won't question them, unless they are in plain, non-labeled bottles, and not in the quart zip-lock bag with other liquids. You can take as many bottles- up to 100ml each- as long as they fit in 1 quart-sized zip lock bag.

mct1

Nov 26, 2013
East TN
and I seem to remember hearing someone got caught trying to stealth vape with box mod (like an mvp) and got busted by the air marshal and fined huge $$$$$ because plane got diverted - not sure where I heard it but it was about mid summer

just a word of advice

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if anyone ever tried gaping in a plane.:) I'll wait until we land, with the bottles in my ziplok bag.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Max. 100 ml per bottle, max. 1 liter of those (10 x) in a ziploc bag. Those are the official rules. They can still question you about the specific content of your bottles though. Travelled a lot, but I've never understood why 10 x100 ml (=1 litre) is safer than 1 x1 litre). And... in what way will a recloseable ziploc bag make it all safer?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Max. 100 ml per bottle, max. 1 liter of those (10 x) in a ziploc bag. Those are the official rules. They can still question you about the specific content of your bottles though. Travelled a lot, but I've never understood why 10 x100 ml (=1 litre) is safer than 1 x1 litre). And... in what way will a recloseable ziploc bag make it all safer?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Some formula they figured out where 100ml of explosives wouldn't cause much damage to an airplane, but a single 1000 ml bottle would.

They don't want the liquids spilling onto the conveyor belt at security, should there be any leaks.

XJ-linux

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
A single ruptured 1000ml bottle will leak out more volume over time (unchecked) than a 100ml bottle. It is spreading the risk under the assumption there is less likelihood that all 10 of the 100ml will break open... OK, that was just a theory. Sounded good to me though. One might also postulate that there is a 10 times greater chance a given bottle out of 10 will rupture versus a single bottle. Who knows?

heroinesick

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Louisville, KY
You can go through security with your eliquid. All liquid in your carry on must fit in one quart sized ziploc bag and must be under 3 ounces. As long as you stick your eliquid in that bag ( i'd go ahead and put your tanks in there, too.) you should be fine. Most likely you won't be able to vape on the plane. Best not to do it, unless you wanna risk getting busted. I don't think I've heard about any airlines allowing people to vape while on board.

However, I do know that your liquid and tanks will go through security as long as you have them in your ziploc bag. I went on a two week trip to Florida and flew both ways with no issues whatsoever. Whatever set up you have, just make sure you pack your liquids correctly and your batteries are secured.

Also note that carto's in tanks do tend to leak when taken on a plane due to air pressure changes. Best to take the carto tank off your device and keep it in a separate smaller sealable (ziplock) bag inside the bigger ziplock bag. If you want no leaking at all then use a cartodriver (GP Cartodriver or similar) to take out your carto while keeping all the liquid still in the carto tank. If you still have the white sleeves (condoms) the cartomizer came packed in then you can put these on the loose cartomizer but the other way around. The top sleeve is normally the longest and if you put it back on the bottom of the carto it will most likely cover the (punched or pre-punched) hole(s) of your carton and the bottom sleeve on the top to complete the seal.

If anyone has any other anti-leaking when taken on a plane suggestions, especially for different type devices, then please add.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I new to vaping and I love it. I'm going on a trip next month and I was wondering if I could take small bottles of e-liquid in my carry on. Has anyone had any experience traveling within the US with e-cigs? Is it OK if I put a few bottles on a ziplok bag? I would greatly appreciate any information you could give me on this issue. Thanks!

I recently traveled by plane here in the US. It was my first time flying with my vape stuff. A few thoughts:

1)Definitely keep all your vape stuff in your carry on. For starters, batteries are not allowed in checked luggage and they may be thrown out when they search your bags.
2) Juices and tanks should be on your carry on as well. If they are stored with checked bags, you risk leaking and tank breakage because the luggage storage area is not pressurized like the passenger cabin is. I kept my tanks empty for the flight and had no issues with the bottles leaking in my carry on.
3) Bottles of juices need to be stored in 1 quart ziploc bags. You can store as many 3.4 ounce bottles as you like as long as all the bottles fit in the ziploc bag. Each passenger is allowed 1 ziploc bag according to TSA guidlines. I kept my tanks in the bag as well.
4) When I started going through the TSA line at the airport, I informed them that I had a lot of e-cig stuff. They said "oh that's no big deal, we see it all the time!" and I had absolutely no issues getting through security.
5)Keep batteries in a container that doesn't allow them to roll around. Some people use an eyeglass case. I used these cheap little metal boxes that my original starter kits came in. I took out the molding that held the battery for display when I first received it and can fit a good 5 or 6 spinners in it.

You shouldn't have any issues! Just don't take any huge bottles above 3.4 ounces. 3.4 ounces=100ml.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread