tugboat 1.5 ohm dual coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hereweare

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
Long time lurker, first time posting. I just recently got my first rda, a tugboat clone. For now I'm stuck with an apv that only gor a up to 15w. I plan on upgrading soon but it will have to do for now.. Long time vaper, first time building coils. I can't watch videos (slow internet) but what would be some pointers on a dual coil build, somewhere around 1.5-1.8? Been doing alot of research, but nothing beats the vast knowledge of ECF

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp is a fantastic website (and terrible phone app) that allows you to find out what would be required to make a coil at a specific resistance, given a specific wire gauge and inner diameter. There are other factors to consider but wire gauge, inner diameter, and the number of wraps will determine resistance.

Dual coiling that high will be difficult as all get out, even with 32gauge (a thin, hard to work with, high resistance kanthal) it would take at least 10 wraps per coil just to get up to 1.5ohm. Why not just run the tugboat as a single coil? You're probably going to get better performance at that resistance with a single than a dual.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Welcome to ECF, hereweare...

Unless you have a APV with a resistance lower limit, 15 watts will support a dual parallel build as low as 0.4Ω.

With dual parallel builds at 0.4Ω and 15 watts...

• With 28 gauge, the heat flux value would be 166 mW/mm². A bit cool for my tastes, but certainly not "cold".
  • With 29 gauge, the heat flux value would be a warmer 236 mW/mm².
  • With 30 gauge, the heat flux value would be a very warm 334 mW/mm².
Above or below those three gauges, respectively, the coil net surface area is becoming quite limited, or the heat flux drops down into a fairly weak radiant heat.

In single coil builds, more at the resistance range you desire of 1.5Ω, at 15 watts...

• With 28 gauge, the heat flux value would be 178 mW/mm².
  • With 29 gauge, the heat flux value would be a warmer 251 mW/mm².
  • With 30 gauge, the heat flux value would be a very warm 356 mW/mm².
Above or below those three gauges, respectively, the temperature is entering a range that may be too hot for most folks, or the heat flux drops down into a fairly weak radiant heat.

Using the Steam Engine coil modelling program - as linked above by Oxytyramine or below in my sigline - "heat flux" is the coil radiant heat, expressed in milliwatts per millimeter squared.
If the numbers don't make sense to you... "Dampmaskin", the creator of SE has provided a color code, where being in the green zone to the lower orange/red zone is preferred. Blue is cool, deep red is very hot.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
In all honesty if you are going to be using a coil, or dual coils which will be harder, at the 1.5 - 1.8 range you will be better off using a single coil in that range. To get that range with dual coils each coil would need to be 3 to 3.6 ohms. The only way to get that high of ohmage is to use 30 or 32 gauge wire and multiple wraps. If you tried to use 28g Kanthal you would need 16+ wraps on each coil which would make them very wide.

hereweare

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
I have a sigelei legend v2.. but I have a 50w box mod in my shopping cart . I don't have any wire left as I got top cocky and thought I knew what I was doing.. I managed to get a dual coil at 1.1 ohms something like 12 wraps. When I try a single coil should I do micro coils or leave space? And im confused about what diameter it should be some people say 2mm while others use 4mm.

t2ak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2013
Puyallup WA
I have a sigelei legend v2.. but I have a 50w box mod in my shopping cart . I don't have any wire left as I got top cocky and thought I knew what I was doing.. I managed to get a dual coil at 1.1 ohms something like 12 wraps. When I try a single coil should I do micro coils or leave space? And im confused about what diameter it should be some people say 2mm while others use 4mm.

Diameter is personal preference. Less then 2mm is a micro coil. Greater than 2mm is a macro coil. Most use 1.5mm - 3.0mm. I find 2.5mm seems to be the best IMO for everyday builds.

BoomerFZ1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a Magma that can run on single or dual coil and I run single coil at 1.1 ohm. It is more than enough to do the job. I've built double coils for it down to .6-.7 but the single at 1.1 works just fine for me.

Same here...LOVE the Magma in single coil mode. I'm a M2L vaper so it suits me very well. Actually...save for clearomizers...dual coils always seem a bit overkill for me. I've tried them on the Mephisto, the Fogger and my Magma and the vape doesn't seem as tasty to me and tends to be a bit too warm.

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA

3/32 and 2.5mm is just about the same. About .005 difference the 2.5mm being slightly larger.
But it is all up to you. I use a 3/32 drill bit and it works for me. 8 wraps of 28 gauge give me 1.4 ohms.

hereweare

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
3/32 and 2.5mm is just about the same. About .005 difference the 2.5mm being slightly larger.
But it is all up to you. I use a 3/32 drill bit and it works for me. 8 wraps of 28 gauge give me 1.4 ohms.

I figured the smaller the diameter of the coil the longer it would be length wise. When I built dual coils 28g I did 12 wraps which is alot so I used a a bigger drill bit. Just didn't know if they're was a "size limit" to how big it could be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread