Underage vaping (warning - rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
So I am giving an old mod I had laying around as an emergency device away. I won't get into the details as this is not what the thread is about but I am giving it, along with a few tanks, and a crap ton (like 20) coils and 3ea 18650 batteries batteries away for nothing. I figured this would be a great way to help a smoker transition for free or help out someone who is down on their luck and can't afford to buy a device...

Anywho onto the rant........ I posted the ad online on Craigslist and man-o-man what a fiasco and waste of my time..

Person # 1: Calls and sounds young. I ask age and he says 14.
Person # 2: Text based only. Meet up and he looks 12. I ask for ID and he does not have any. Admits to being 15.
Person # 3: Again text based. Meet up and he does not look 21. Ask for ID, he provides it and is 17....

Good grief! What the ______ is up with all these underage kids wanting to vape... I've taken the ad down and might just drop the gear off at a vape shop and let them give it away to someone who is down on their luck and in need to a device or on a limited income and wants to quit smoking....

Beware of these underage kids wanting to buy vape gear.. I would have never though I'd waste this much time and effort trying to give something away....

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I commend you on your desire to help someone out. But you're right, it can be a real PITA finding some one deserving AND legal.
I once put together a mismatched pen style for an elderly lady who had just gotten started with an eGo AIO and had no clue about needing a backup. She absolutely loved that silver eGo ONE Mega battery with smaller blue standard size eGo ONE tank.
I've got cabinet full of old school gear that I know I can always fall back on should I need it. Recently won a starter kit that I don't intend to ever open. I'll keep it in my truck with some extra coils just in case I should spot someone in a truckstop eyeballing the cigalikes. I'd be more than happy to steer them toward a REAL vape for free than see them throw their money away.

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
I commend you on your desire to help someone out. But you're right, it can be a real PITA finding some one deserving AND legal.
I once put together a mismatched pen style for an elderly lady who had just gotten started with an eGo AIO and had no clue about needing a backup. She absolutely loved that silver eGo ONE Mega battery with smaller blue standard size eGo ONE tank.
I've got cabinet full of old school gear that I know I can always fall back on should I need it. Recently won a starter kit that I don't intend to ever open. I'll keep it in my truck with some extra coils just in case I should spot someone in a truckstop eyeballing the cigalikes. I'd be more than happy to steer them toward a REAL vape for free than see them throw their money away.

On the bright side, I guess it means Vape Shops are doing their job and sending these kids packing.. They have to resort to trying to find other ways to get the gear.... One kid even asked me, before we met, if I had any juice I wanted to sell.....

Chuck64

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2015
NV. USA
The industry marketed vaping toward minors with their juice box look a likes etc etc. What amazes me is the shock everyone seemed to display when the fda cracked down on it. Too little too late. The "adult" vapors should have self governed that crap before it got outta hand.
Of course kids are coming to you for vaping paraphernalia. We, meaning all of us contributed to the delinquency of a generation of minors.

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
The industry marketed vaping toward minors with their juice box look a likes etc etc. What amazes me is the shock everyone seemed to display when the fda cracked down on it. Too little too late. The "adult" vapors should have self governed that crap before it got outta hand.
Of course kids are coming to you for vaping paraphernalia. We, meaning all of us contributed to the delinquency of a generation of minors.

Sorry I can't agree with this at all... Kids are going to do what they do.. When I was a young pup I used to hang out a stores trying to get some schmuck to buy beer for me... Advertising and marketing had nothing to do with me wanting a cold one....

raqball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2010
Teens always want what they aren't supposed to have. And enjoy trying to get it and do it on the sly. Makes em feel "adult". Most smokers I know started cigs by the age of 16...

Agree... I started smoking at 15......

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I would not go as far as to say 'us adults' caused youth to vape. But will say the big money outfits beyond big tobacco shoulda known better.

I just read an article about a company with the word diamond in their name has been caught putting cough medicine ingredients and synthetic mary jane in their products. Worse still, they can be had online by clicking a 'yes I'm 18' box.

I deal with a shop that is fairly large in scope so they have a lot to lose if they slip up. Next time I enter their store I'll be sure to let them know I made it all the way to 'pay now' without even being asked if I'm old enough, much less type in an age. But even that can be worked around.

It's dang unfortunate, but it's reality. Kids are going to use tobacco products. Digital or analog. It's also unfortunate that big government agencies tend to strip law abiding citizens of their rights in order to (attempt) to stop law breakers.

Rant on dude!!!

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Person # 1: Calls and sounds young. I ask age and he says 14.
    Person # 2: Text based only. Meet up and he looks 12. I ask for ID and he does not have any. Admits to being 15.
    Person # 3: Again text based. Meet up and he does not look 21. Ask for ID, he provides it and is 17....

Your name wouldn't happen to be Peter File?

Kids these days :nah:.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Your name wouldn't happen to be Peter File?

Kids these days :nah:.

LOL …. yeah kids :rolleyes: … You got to love those stupid pop-up boxes on vaping web sites that ask "are you older than 21" LOL ….. My trained, pet cat, could click "YES" with the mouse and gain entry to the site....

@United States made a couple of good points … I always say, "follow the money" and you will find the people responsible for making all of the policies as well as all of the money.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Well, in cat years, she probably is.

LOL … Yeah she would be for sure …. I do laugh at those ridiculous pop-up boxes though..... I mean what are they trying to do with such messages? Are they trying to scare underaged people from entering their site? If so, they are failing miserably. It's not like the FBI is going to show up at some underaged persons door if they lie and click on the YES button LOL … Most young folks know this and so they freely browse vaping web sites and as a consequence, they know full well what is currently on the market.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread