Using Temperature Control con Kanthal Atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week I received my new AL85 kit from SmokTech, which comes with the "Baby Beast" atomizer. Since the kit was announced as TC, I assumed that the installed coils were TC capable; but after several search I found they are made of Kanthal. I was a bit disappointed.

Everywhere the people says Kanthal doesn't change its resistance when heated, and because of that, it can't be used with TC. I went to the Kanthal site and they claim Kanthal A1 rises its resistance a 0.4% when heated 1000ºC. It's a very small number indeed.

I tried in my AL85 the Stainless Steel configuration for TC, and I ended up configuring the coefficient to 0.00080, and it works!. I tried lower settings for the coefficient but the readed temperature was too high and prevented me from vaping.

Probably Kanthal is the worst material for TC, but seems if your mod let's you configure low enough coefficients, it can work.

I feel it's not perfect, I can notice the mod switching power on and off; the power regulation is bad. Seems it gets a bit crazy trying to do TC. But at least prevents from accidental burnings.

Anyway, now I'm very happy. This mod is awesome, and the atty too. It would be nicer if some other wire material were available, but seems all coils for this are made of Kanthal. I don't understand why they don't do any coil with Stainless Steel, for example.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I agree SS factory coil options would be nice to see. The TCR of Kanthal is 0.00002, so I'm not sure what you've got working with the TCR you entered. As long as your vape is not too hot or other problems you can certainly enjoy it, but chances are even with the TCR you entered, the mod is simply kicking you out to wattage mode whenever you press the fire button.

You can buy an RBA with an included replaceable glass for the BB (the RBA makes it too tall for the regular glass to fit) and build your own SS coils for the tank.

Reactions: Tonee N
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread