Vamo V3 - Should I and if so...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_ruby

Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Ohio
First I'd like to say thanks to ECF and the community... I have been looking around and found a lot of information in the past few weeks on this site and constantly come back for more info!

First, my story. I "started" vaping a few years back and bought a "cig-like" style that I loved at the time. I smoked it for a few months and enjoyed it but I couldn't stand the leaking and constant juice getting sucked into my mouth so i stopped. I went back to analogs from 2010 until may of 2013 i decided to switch back to vaping. I ordered myself the Inferno Started Kit from Volcano e-cigs and received it early june. I've loved it. I've only smoked 4-5 analogs since (and honestly didn't really enjoy it). I bought another tank for a friend and I gave him the second battery with the new tank and converted him. We are truly addicted. Now I'm "kinda" regretting getting the inferno kit. I'm just wanting more. so here I am.

Now a run down of what Im looking for:

More Vapor!!!!! I love a thick cloud of vape and couldn't get enough vapor production.
Consistency. Flavor/Throat Hit/Vapor. It always seems pretty random at times. using the Inferno Kit. (with their lava tank, no modifications on the cartos, standard 1 punch only)
More Vapor!!!!
Variable Voltage/Wattage.... Honestly.. still pretty in the fog on the difference, how exactly each setting effects what. and knowing what setting to use for what ohms (if I understand correctly thats pretty much what you base your settings off of????? correct me please )

Now to get to the questions and concerns:

1. Vamo v3? Is this my next route. Will this satisfy me with what you know. I love tinkering with my PV and more tinkering, the better.... sometimes.

2. If this is it, If this is the next step i should go... Is this the model/selection i should choose on fasttech:
[URL]http://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10004394/1395002
[/URL]
2a. Batteries/Charger.... I picked this one for the price range... for that unit alone is $36 and with the batteries/extra tank + charger is only a $14 difference... Im looking to get started with mods and with no batteries I will need them.. but I am going to want a different tank at some point and I like the smaller batteries so I can use the mini setup as well as the longer setup.
Are these batteries good(enough)? will they last me atleast a couple months..

the post is getting pretty long... sorry for the wall of text... ill stop now. as you can see, i'm pretty clueless and some info on the vamo V3 and what one to order, batteries... chargers... possibly different mod choice completely??? Looking for a cheapish route to make the switch to VV/VW

Thank you for the replies in advance!!!!!!!!

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
$58.85 Vamo V3 Stainless Steel Variable Voltage E-Cigarette Battery Compartment Set - with Nitecore I2 US battery charger / 2*Panasonic CGR18650CH 18650 batteries at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Better battery charger. Suggest the EVOD 5 pack kit with extra 5 pack of coils. Get 18350 batts stateside. AW's are the best. Try the Protank. Protank V2 will be out any day. Looking forward to checking it out myself. May already be out. It's due right about now.

Regarding throat hit and Vapor. Suggest higher VG ratio for clouds. Higher Nic will give more TH, but so will more PG. Juice has a lot to do with the Vape, then the ratio and nic contribute. Also, the delivery device will affect clouds and TH. Dripper is best for clouds and TH with the right juice. This is more advanced though. Cartos give a better flavor and vape than clearos, imho. There's a lot for you to explore in VapeQuest, and a lot to learn and look forward to. I see a lot of folks walking around with mechs and the Nimbus, blowing clouds like you can't believe. Live and learn. best to you!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The Vamo is a great low cost mod/APV, it will give you consistent power and has pretty much all the features you could ask for. If you're getting a kit from fasttech I'd go with one that has a nitecore charger like this one: $53.94 Vamo V3 Variable Voltage E-Cigarette Battery Compartment Set with OLED Screen - with Nitecore I2 US battery charger/charger cable/2*Panasonic 18650 batteries at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping it's a better quality charger, and the panasonic 18650s that come with it are good as well. If you want some shorter(18350) batteries add these $4.39 ICR18350 18350 3.7V 900mAh Rechargeable Lithium Battery at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping that way you have the option of going long or short.

The other part of your question has to do with juice delivery devices, and it sounds like you've just used carto tanks so far. Some people really like cartos and tanks, some people like top coil wick clearomizers like a ce4 or a vivi nova, some like bottom coil like the kanger t3s or the protank, some people like dripping and some people like rebuildable systems. My best advice here is try out as many different types as you can reasonably afford to and see what works best for you.

As for VV/VW yes, in a very basic sense, you change your settings to go with the different resistance of your delivery device, but there are other factors as well like juice flavor, consistency, coil type, wick type. Best bet is to start somewhat low and increase until you find your sweet spot. VW will read the resistance of your device and adjust the voltage so you get a consistent wattage, VV you set the voltage that you want and it's a steady voltage.

Hope some of that helped :) welcome back to vaping and to ECF!

Caveclown

Mar 28, 2013
Canada
Hello and good day,

Just my 2 cents in reply to your post:

I have a Vamo (v2) and I love it, I started with cigalikes (like most probably) and tried so many different types of ecigs, and bang for buck I find it to be the best items around. At one point I was thinking to myself "man I really need to get a Provari, since I love the Vamo so much, its gotta be so much better"... and I tried one out finally and .... I find the Vamo to (for me anyway) be the same just at alot cheaper price... With that said however, I don't think I would get the V3, I am planning to get another Vamo in the next week or 2, but the V3 just looks so... ugly!... But thats me, to some it might be awesome looking... or something... But if you like the look, and it still has VV and VW (I think I read back when it was in development it was going to be VV only?) I would say go for it.

As for batteries, I have both 18650s and 18350s, and I find I use the 18650s almost always, the battery life is just to good and convenient to have compared to the small 18350s, and I have large hands so the Vamo fits so much better in long mode for me. However I would get the AW imr 2000 mah batteries, they seem to work great for me, and I find they (for myself) out perform/last the Efest batteries as well... I have also heard great things about the panasonic batteries but have not tried them so I cant say how they work out, just some seem to love them. And the batteries should last you a fairly long time, just dont abuse them, dont drop them, properly charge and store them and you should be set... I would suggest having atleast 4 batteries (2 small, 2 large) so you are set for anything at any time, mind you I dont think you can ever have to many batteries...

Hope this helps abit.

dmanindfw

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
DFW, TX
I also agree with the others but frankly I would skip the Vamo V3 and get the iTaste SVD. I have both a Vamo (V2 - from Exhale Vapors) and 2 days ago received my Innokin SVD as a backup for the Vamo. Reason I bought the SVD is that I didn't feel the Vamo would be in it for the long haul. My Vamo works well but I have a couple of nagging issues. One the tank doesn't mount vertical, it leans a bit; 2) The fire button sticks quite often (not where it stays firing but it's just "sticky"). Third, there is always the concern of tightening the protank or cartotank just a bit too much and messing up the firing pin o-ring...easy fix but one that shouldn't have to be performed. Lastly, there is always the concern with stripping out the threads on the connector. I change tanks quite often and while I haven't had problems, many have. Keep in mind, I've only had the Vamo for 2 months. Again because of these problems or possible problems, I added a backup in the SVD.

I'll do a comparison review soon but the SVD wins in my opinion because: 1) spring loaded firing pin - no o-ring to worry about messing up. 2) I can screw down my tanks all the way until snug without worrying about the #1 above...don't have to worry about overtightening. 3) No need for extension tube if switching from 18350 to 18650 batteries as it telescopes. 4) In short mode (18350) the SVD firing button is placed better - easier to hold and fire. 5) Buttons seem to be higher quality. 6) Nice beauty ring so esthetically better looking (just my opinion).

Again just my thoughts, but as I own both I thought I would share my experiences.

dmanindfw

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
DFW, TX
To add to my last post, the Nitecore charger is a good one. I would also suggest 2-18650s and 1-2 18350s (IMRs). AW is one of if not the best battery brands. Panasonics are also very good.

For juice delivery system...protanks work extremely well and are easy to use. Get a protank or one of the FT copies (X9?) or get a Valley View Vapes (VVV) tank...very good quality and great prices by a supporting forum member. I'm extremely pleased with both my protank and my VVV tank. Get extra heads for the protank or extra cartos for the VVV tank when you order.

_ruby

Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Ohio
Wow wow woow... love the quick replies.. I have no idea how i missed that option! I seen they had the better chargers/batteries but not in the stainless like i wanted since i read the other versions (brass) sounded like they would dent/scratch alot easier. my only issue with the 18650 setup is that it is loose in the device... is that correct? that is why i was shooting for the dual 350s...

Thanks again for the quick response and the eye opener :)

Truncheon

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Hello and good day,

Just my 2 cents in reply to your post:

I have a Vamo (v2) and I love it, I started with cigalikes (like most probably) and tried so many different types of ecigs, and bang for buck I find it to be the best items around. At one point I was thinking to myself "man I really need to get a Provari, since I love the Vamo so much, its gotta be so much better"... and I tried one out finally and .... I find the Vamo to (for me anyway) be the same just at alot cheaper price... With that said however, I don't think I would get the V3, I am planning to get another Vamo in the next week or 2, but the V3 just looks so... ugly!... But thats me, to some it might be awesome looking... or something... But if you like the look, and it still has VV and VW (I think I read back when it was in development it was going to be VV only?) I would say go for it.

As for batteries, I have both 18650s and 18350s, and I find I use the 18650s almost always, the battery life is just to good and convenient to have compared to the small 18350s, and I have large hands so the Vamo fits so much better in long mode for me. However I would get the AW imr 2000 mah batteries, they seem to work great for me, and I find they (for myself) out perform/last the Efest batteries as well... I have also heard great things about the panasonic batteries but have not tried them so I cant say how they work out, just some seem to love them. And the batteries should last you a fairly long time, just dont abuse them, dont drop them, properly charge and store them and you should be set... I would suggest having atleast 4 batteries (2 small, 2 large) so you are set for anything at any time, mind you I dont think you can ever have to many batteries...

Hope this helps abit.

i too was concerned about the look of the v3, but it's not nearly as bad in person as it is in the photos. the texture of the 'swirls' is kind of nice in hand, as opposed to the slippiness of the smooth v2.

it is most definitely VW as well as VV. i run both of mine in VW - i feel i get better vapor production and taste from adjusting the wattage than using the voltage mode. YMMV.

the OLED screen is a nice step up from the LED screen in the V2. it's not really any more functional, per se, but it does give a nicer updated look. there are some addl menu options from the v2, like the ability to display either voltage or ohms or keep the screen off when hitting the fire button.

also, they've eliminated the NO1/NO2 option - now the v3 is solely RMS mode (i think that's what it's called).

the top ring is supposed to be removeable, but i've still yet been able to get mine off - it's either cranked on too tight from the factory, or they dropped that option by the time they got around to manufacturing mine. idk...

i've read rumors that there's an upcoming V4 that will have the updated chipset/OLED screen, but go back to the v2 style tube for those who don't like the swirls.

all in all, a really good mod for the money. i've played with more expensive apvs that friends and co-workers own. for me, the vamos are far more cost effective based on what you get for around $40 bucks...

this is all MHO... to each their own.

yaypudding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
North of NYC
got my vamo v3 a couple weeks ago, got the ohm error/center post issue the second day. I was probably screwing down my cartos too much. It was a pretty quick fix, about 10 mins of fussing about with an o-ring, but it has performed like a champ ever since.

I have a itaste vv and a svd coming from fastech, i just know the vamo will need backups. I would recommend it to others, even with the flaws i have had it wasn't really all that bad considering the price point. I have 4 panasonic 18650 and 4 efest 18350 and i prefer the 650's when at home and 350's when i'm out. the nitecore 4x charger is very nice, also get some battery cases, which is a must. picked up a bunch on amazon, pretty cheap.

this was my first pv setup besides the usual suspects of cig-a-likes, and have been very happy with the vamo v3 paired with either a protank or iclear 30. I have been getting great taste and vapor from both. I do like the protanks better for the cooler vape, goes well with fruity flavors. The warmer vape of the iclear 30 i like to use for bakery flavors.

you're gonna end up buying both so don't sweat the choice too much, just make sure you get good IMR batteries and a charger, those will go great with any mods you buy in the future.

edit: the battery fits very snug in the v3, i hear no rattling, even when i shake it vigorously.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Wow wow woow... love the quick replies.. I have no idea how i missed that option! I seen they had the better chargers/batteries but not in the stainless like i wanted since i read the other versions (brass) sounded like they would dent/scratch alot easier. my only issue with the 18650 setup is that it is loose in the device... is that correct? that is why i was shooting for the dual 350s...

They fixed the loose 650 issue with a new spring during the v2 run, the v3 shouldn't have that issue at all. :)

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA

I hadn't noticed the looseness you mention. The SVD is very loose until you put batteries in it, then it tightens up nicely. I have three Vamo's and one SVD. Six of one, half a dozen the others. The telescope is the biggest difference. They both use the same chip. The stainless is quite nice. They are both excellent. The Vamo is layed out a little better I think, because I have hard time finding the firing button on the SVD. I change the voltage/wattage a lot by accident. The difference in cost is not much, less than $10. I would take either over the MVP, but that's just a preference. Personally, I don't see a lot of difference in the stainless steel. The updated V3 has some definite improvements in the drip well/skirt, the materials, the RMS only feature. Both well made. Six months and no problems. I wouldn't sell or trade either. The new Sigelei V5 combines the best features of the Vamo, the SVD, and the MVP. It's about $25 more, and I would consider it slightly superior to the other three. But, I digress. The choice of the Stainless Vamo V3 is an excellent choice. Rambling now. Good luck and best to you.

Fenris4024

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Lubbock, TX
Well Bill, wizards are wont to ramble and prattle on....:)

First things first, welcome to the ECF! :toast:

I'm in with the Good batteries/ charger version crowd as well... When I bought my V2 the only options were a trustfire charger (personally, I don't Trust anything with Fire in its name if I'm putting my face by it) and some off brand 18350s in the kit. I bought my V2, some of those lovely grey CGR panny's and a 4 bay Nitecore charger piecemeal and paid about $70 in total, that that is V3 is certainly a steal...

I'm one of the fans of the Vamo here, mostly because unlike it seems everyone else, I've never had a single issue with mine, and its worked flawlessly. I'm not saying that its going to live forever, but the fact that I use it day in and day out and never had an issue for me made it well worth the buy.

I've heard good things about the SVD, but have yet to actually try one.

Recently got an ItasteMVP, and I do love the smaller form factor, and its on par with the Vamo in nearly all aspects as far as the actual vape is concerned.

Honestly, of the above mentioned three, I can personally recommend the Vamo and the MVP (can't do it on the SVD, cause no one I know has one :laugh:)

You seem to kinda know what you're looking for, and I think any of these should fit that criteria.

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
I picked up a V3 (gun metal) with a couple of flat top Efest 18650 2250mah.... With the flat top 18650, no rattle yet in the case. It might pop up if the spring starts to compress a little, but it is easily fixed. The thing works awesome. I typically run ego threaded devices, so I haven't had issues with the center post. Got a cartotank this week, and I'll have to keep a close eye on it.

But to chime in, the rifling is MUCH less in your face when you have it in your hand. Chalk that up to bright lighting when the pictures were taken.

I will say that about two months in, the finish is a bit darkened where my thumb sits by the fire button... no biggie.. I'll call it patina and just enjoy it. Don't bother me none... But if you are touchy about such things, get the SS model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread