Vaping at 4.5 or 6 volts--why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valjean

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2012
New Hampshire
I was just looking at the Kgo VV and wondering why anyone would want to volt at 4.5 or even 6 volts? I can barely handle my Kgo which has 3.7 volts--I think--correct me if I am wrong. I like the battery when it has depleted 1/4 or 1/2 of the way.

If this is the case, would I be better off with a variable volt, since I like the length that the battery lasts, but not the voltage of 3.7 or higher.

But I am curious as to why someone would want to vape at such a high setting....

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I think we both know he meant certain juices.

Some people enjoy a "warmer" vape; i.e., the vapor they take in has a warmth to it created by higher voltages. This isn't possible on fixed eGo batteries, or other devices locked in at 3.2 or 3.7 volts. Well, maybe it is possible with low resistance atomizers and cartomizers, but for the most part, people who use higher voltage enjoy a "hotter" vape.

Me? I'm quite happy with standard resistance cartomizers (@ 2.0 ohm, plus or minus) at 3.8 volts. I use my Kgo VV every day, it's only 650 mAh, so I usually use it as a backup. But at 3.8 volts on all my devices, I get satisfying throat hit, vapor production, and flavor. But you will see this over and over again, because it's true: YMMV. Your Mileage May Vary. Some like it hot, some like it cold.

Valjean

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2012
New Hampshire
Sorry, I was aiming to spell " Certain Juices". My humble apologies .:facepalm:

As a newbie learning the lingo and all the equipment, I thought "curtained juices" was something else to investigate. Maybe a juice that had flavors masked by other flavors that only high voltage would bring out. I dunno--you never know--so, no, I wasn't certain of what he was talking about and certainly not trying to proofread other's posts. lol

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
As a newbie learning the lingo and all the equipment, I thought "curtained juices" was something else to investigate. Maybe a juice that had flavors masked by other flavors that only high voltage would bring out. I dunno--you never know--so, no, I wasn't certain of what he was talking about and certainly not trying to proofread other's posts. lol

I understand that. Sorry if I came across as brash. Welcome to ECF! You will find almost all of your questions answered here! :)

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
I was just looking at the Kgo VV and wondering why anyone would want to volt at 4.5 or even 6 volts? I can barely handle my Kgo which has 3.7 volts--I think--correct me if I am wrong. I like the battery when it has depleted 1/4 or 1/2 of the way.

If this is the case, would I be better off with a variable volt, since I like the length that the battery lasts, but not the voltage of 3.7 or higher.

But I am curious as to why someone would want to vape at such a high setting....

This one of the reasons im getting a mech mod,i love the taste and vapour at 3.7-4.2 volts with a LR atty,keep it simple i say.

CheebaSteeba

Jan 10, 2013
AZ
Mostly because some of the atomizers you get are higher resistance thus requiring higher voltage for optimum performance. Iirc standard resistance is like 2.5 ohms and you'll probably want to vape that around 4.9v or so. I think ideally you want to vape at around 8 watts (check out ohm's law) and you can even get variable wattage devices or a kick to turn a standard mod into a VW device

Edit: oops, I think I was thinking of a 3 ohm at 4.9 v

Last edited:

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
It really depends on what you want. Before I got into rebuildables a LR clearo on a 3.7 device was enough for me. After getting into them tho I find I prefer a hotter vape, I still use mechanical 3.7 devices, but I now make my coils around 1.1 giving me between a 12 to 15 watt vape.

The few times I have used a VV with a 2.0 carto I had to kick the voltage up to about 5.5 to get anything I liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread