6 volt to a 3.7 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyhadadot

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Hi all... I've been a vaper for 100 days today!!! Congrats to me, analog free too! Here's my question: I use a Prodigy, which I love. But I am looking to get a spare and have been looking at the "chucks". I like the idea of options like customizing and the choice to vape at 6 or 3.7 volts with the same PV. What I'm wondering is: After vaping at 6 volts for all this time, what will it be like going back to 3.7? Anyone try it? I know I can use my CR123's with the Chuck and still get the same voltage, but I would like to try it with a 18650 (3.7v). I mean, I'll probably buy it but should I invest in the 18650 batteries or would that be a waste? Need advice here!!!

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Hi all... I've been a vaper for 100 days today!!! Congrats to me, analog free too! Here's my question: I use a Prodigy, which I love. But I am looking to get a spare and have been looking at the "chucks". I like the idea of options like customizing and the choice to vape at 6 or 3.7 volts with the same PV. What I'm wondering is: After vaping at 6 volts for all this time, what will it be like going back to 3.7? Anyone try it? I know I can use my CR123's with the Chuck and still get the same voltage, but I would like to try it with a 18650 (3.7v). I mean, I'll probably buy it but should I invest in the 18650 batteries or would that be a waste? Need advice here!!!

I have a Prodigy also. I bypass the resister to switch to 3.7 volts. I plan on getting another switch without the resister to make the switch between voltages a little easier. I can vape for more than 2 days on my 18650s but I still like the 5 volt vaping. With the Prodigy you can vape at 3.7, 5.0, 6.0. and 7.4 using the same PV. But now I bought a Protege' and can vape at 3.7 in a smaller neeter looking PV.

Just letting you know what you can already do. I've heard good reports about the chuck.

Kevin

jennyhadadot

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
I have a Prodigy also. I bypass the resister to switch to 3.7 volts. I plan on getting another switch without the resister to make the switch between voltages a little easier. I can vape for more than 2 days on my 18650s but I still like the 5 volt vaping. With the Prodigy you can vape at 3.7, 5.0, 6.0. and 7.4 using the same PV. But now I bought a Protege' and can vape at 3.7 in a smaller neeter looking PV.

Just letting you know what you can already do. I've heard good reports about the chuck.

Kevin

hmmm, I had no idea that I could use the prodigy at 3.7... good to know. Thanks!

Brachinus

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Jersey Shore
I haven't (yet) vaped above 3.7v, but I've seen many "you never go back" comments in the Chuck thread and elsewhere. So that might be something to think about. But apparently a well-charged 18650 is higher than 3.7v, and lots of new Chuck users are blown away by the vapor with an 18650.

I wouldn't buy a battery before I've committed to buying something to put it in, but if you're worried about having to wait 2 weeks for your battery to arrive from China, don't sweat it too much. I've got 2 pairs of 18650s and chargers on the way -- one from China (it'll probably arrive in a week or two) and one from the Classifieds (it'll probably arrive in a couple days, around the same time as my Chuck). If you decide to order a Chuck, I'll be happy to sell you one of my sets at cost + shipping.

The timing shouldn't be a problem, given that it'll be about 2 weeks from the time you order your Chuck to the time you get it. Just PM me when you think you're about a week away from getting Chucked (sorry, couldn't resist), and hopefully I'll have both sets of batteries by then.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I too vape at 3.7V, 5V, 6V. I've found that only new atty's seem to give me the vapor that I like at 3.7V. Once they start losing performance,they get moved over to my 5V or 6V PV's.

The biggest difference seems to be the amount of time it takes to get the same vapor production. I can take a 6 second draw at 3.7V, or a 2 second draw at 6V.

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
I have the Prodigy and use it at the 5v. For change I use the Silver Bullet at 6v and 3.7. I love both. I don't like the idea of changing the switches of the Prod when I can just flip the bats in the SB. For 3.7 on the SB I use the 18560 bat and a 510 atty. When I put in the 2X3.0 bats in the SB I use a 801 atty. I also use the 801 atty in the Prod.

I have found over the last couple of weeks I primarily use the Prod at 5v and the SB at 6v. It is only on the weekends I use the 510 atty with the SB.

When you get right down to it, it becomes personal preference and you will arrive at your preferred setup from experience.

Good Luck, let us know what you arrive at.

Brachinus

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Jersey Shore
I too vape at 3.7V, 5V, 6V. I've found that only new atty's seem to give me the vapor that I like at 3.7V. Once they start losing performance,they get moved over to my 5V or 6V PV's.
Do you break in your attys at 3.7v? Have you tried breaking them in at higher voltage?

I'm wondering if 6v might be too much of a "shock to the system" on a new 510 (or 801 or 901) atty, or whether it might be just the ticket for a faster break-in.

supertrkre2812

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2009
Palatka, Fl
www.xtremevaping.com
And what about the flavor differences?
I have heard many people say they taste "burnt" at 6v.
I'm hopeing to get a few ti regulators for my 5v mod just to see what it is like.
I currently use a 510, and i like it, but i also have heard that a 801 gives great vapor, but not as much taste. Isn't that why we vape? for taste?
I mean, if you crave nicotine so bad that you would put up with a burnt taste, just put in a I.V. with your nic juice, LOL

Last edited:

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I have the CHUCK and do both voltages, but can tell you it is very disappointing to go back to 3.7 for me. Seems like I must wait forever to get a hit. 6v and you're good at 2 or 3 seconds. taste to me is much better at 6v..

It takes much longer of a draw to get something satisfying out of it at 3.7. Again as Ren said, you must have a new atty at 3.7, for once it starts to drop in vape, back you fo to 6 volts to get a full hit out of it.

6 volts doesnt taste burned. i dont know where that all comes from.

You do use more juice at 6volts, but is well worth the pleasure you get from it.

I think the 18650 batty would be worth getting so you can go back and forth from 3.7 to 6v.

Each person is different. Some like 3.7 and some like 6v.

It's all up to each persons' desires, but I like 6v much much better.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Do you break in your attys at 3.7v? Have you tried breaking them in at higher voltage?

I'm wondering if 6v might be too much of a "shock to the system" on a new 510 (or 801 or 901) atty, or whether it might be just the ticket for a faster break-in.

I always vape my new atty's at 3.7V, and try and move then up in voltage as their vapor production begins to taper. I haven't had high voltage long enough to say if there is any shock to the system, but for sure a lower resistance atty (or a new one) will heat up much quicker than one that has been in use for a while.

doots - I think a brand new atty with real low resistance at 6V, even on a penstyle, may have a bad taste to it. I'm not 100% certain on this, because I don't go through enough atty's to say, but that's my suspicion.

Last edited:

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Hi Ren,
I detect no bad taste in HV using new attys, might be the brand of attys I use. I use BE112 and TW 801s and even have some DSE801s. They do seem to have short lifespans using 6v. Wish I knew if 5v would make them last longer.. lol But I dont have 5v to experiment on.

I have went through plenty of 801s.

My 510s seems to last longer and have better taste using HV.

I much prefer 801s for easy draw and cooler vape using HV.
I've just started using TW 801s to see if they last a little longer.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Well taste is different at the different voltages. I have some flavors that are real good at 3.7 and taste harsh at 5.0. It is real easy to adjust the different flavors to get what you need. I haven't tried to get a good flavor for 6.0 volts yet.

I think the new Prodigy is going to be a 5.0 volt only PV but so far it's unclear.

Kevin

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hi Ren,
I detect no bad taste in HV using new attys, might be the brand of attys I use. I use BE112 and TW 801s and even have some DSE801s. They do seem to have short lifespans using 6v. Wish I knew if 5v would make them last longer.. lol But I dont have 5v to experiment on.

I have went through plenty of 801s.

My 510s seems to last longer and have better taste using HV.

I much prefer 801s for easy draw and cooler vape using HV.
I've just started using TW 801s to see if they last a little longer.

My TW (RN4072) atty's are wonderful at higher voltages, my Classic Kissbox are great too. I have a Classic TAWA atty that tastes horrible at 6V, I do believe the resistance on the atty is quite low! So that may explain it, it just heats up too fast. I use that when I vape my high voltage mod with an 18650 at 3.7V. Works great with that configuration.

I would love to try some BE112's, I just can't see buying any right now since I stocked up on RN4072's. They're a little leaky, but man they are absolutely fantastic.

You should build yourself a home made 5V USB passthrough. That's what I did, and made a cheap 5V mod. I think I put up about 12-15 bucks for the parts. Was really simple to build as well. I use it on my 2A 5V USB AC adapter. I think you linked them once upon a time, works awesome with that!

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
Since 3.7v batts are at 4.2v fullt charged, and 18650 batts lasting 2-3 days, you prob wont even ever experience vaping at 3.7v with the chuck until the last puff before recharging. 4.2v isnt that much different than 5v, IMO. Personally, I cant even tell the difference. However, I can tell the difference going from 6v back to 3.7v, but I still vape w/the 18650 most of the time.

I am paranoid Ill have an atty fail so I only do 6v abt twice a week. People on the Chuck thread say vaping the 18650 is like vaping other mods at 6v, but i wouldnt stretch it that far. I only notice the difference going from 6v to 3.7v on mods other than the chuck. i love my chucks!!!

Id say get it and both kinds of batts--deal Extreme is so cheap, ud only be spending a few extra bucks and shippings free, so you really cant lose...if you dont like the 18650, Im sure if you put it in the classifieds on here someone would buy it from ya...

:)

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
my experience at 6 volts is it is an atty killer and almost overkill. 5 volts seems to be the ticket for me.

I got to second that- 5 volt is the perfect "sweet spot" I here the new Prods will be 5 only. Attys seem to last longer at 5 as apposed to 6 volts.

3.7 is way too low- I will never go back to 3.7 volts

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Thanks for all the info! I think I'm going to get the Chuck and try it at 3.7. I've cut my nic way down and I do want to 'taper' my vaping a big this may be the way. I had no idea the prodigy was so versatile! But it does seem easier to switch with the Chuck. Aw hell, it's only money!

I think youd make a good choice going with the Chuck.

Using a 18650 battery at 3.7 will give you a great vape for a day or two.
And most of that time you'll be over 3.7 anyways. Closer to a 5v in performance.

But also you will have the abilty to do 6v if you like... with just battery change.

Good choice,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread